Is it ever acceptable for a man to hit a woman?

Watch
SG-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Growing up I was taught under NO CONDITION do you hit a female as i'm sure many others have been too. Irrespective of whether she hit you first, you are a man and she is a women as the average woman hurt me as I would hitting her.

Is this view wrong? Is this sexist?
A girl in my class today insisted that this was sexist and guys should be allowed to hit girls

Now obviously violence of all sort should be condemned but what are your views on this?

Agree/Disagree with me?
Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. It's never acceptable.
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ever? Yes. For example, if she killed your dog.

Edit: Negged? Well, somebody's a hardline cat person...
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it ever acceptable for a person to hit a person?

Not normally, no.

Self-defence, sexual acts, boxing, fine of course.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't care, if a woman is swinging at me with a bottle of something, I will think about my own safety rather than whether people consider me a "gentleman". Only problem is, women tend to go out in groups and from what I've seen, they act like a pack of wild animals... If one goes down then guranteed the rest will hammer you.
RedDevilThing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It should be acceptable in exactly the same situations in which it's acceptable for a woman to hit a man.

Equality works both ways.
Jennie027
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Under normal circumstances, I don't think it's acceptable for a man to hit a woman, but then again I don't think it's really acceptable for women to be going around hitting men either (or a person to hit another person usually to be honest)
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know tbh. If a girl slapped you, how do other girls expect us to respond? It's incredibly humiliating to be hit like that and do nothing back. However if you turn around and deck the girl you'd just look like a piece of ****. You can't win.
SG-
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)

Self-defence
If a girl just punches you, you dont just punch her back!
DeadGirlsDance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If she hits you first and it wasn't deserved then yes it's acceptable imo (as long as it's not too hard). If it was for self defence you aren't going to just take it. As much as I hate to admit it, girls tend to be weaker than boys when comparing natural strength of both so you should only use the necessaryr force required (obviously I haven't researched it). Ideally nobody would hit each other but that's not going to happen.
3 Phase Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well like people are saying it's not acceptable to hit a person fullstop. However is it acceptable to hit someone back if they hit you, then I would say so yes, self defence is perfectly legal whether against a male or female.
justanotherposter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Although obviously hitting people out of anger etc. is wrong, I've never understood people who say hitting a girl in self defense is also wrong, say a girl attacks you with a knife, are you really going to not hit a girl even though that could save yourself from being stabbed?
Four Queue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She's attacking you with a knife/hammer/other weapon. You do anything you can to stop that, no? If it means hitting her, you do it.
3 Phase Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SG-)
If a girl just punches you, you dont just punch her back!
Why not. If someone hits you, surely you should be entitled to hit back with reasonable force in self defence. Certainly the law allows anyone to act in self defence using reasonable force. So if a man or woman punches you, you can punch them back.
officelinebacker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SG-)
Growing up I was taught under NO CONDITION do you hit a female as i'm sure many others have been too. Irrespective of whether she hit you first, you are a man and she is a women as the average woman hurt me as I would hitting her.

Is this view wrong? Is this sexist?
A girl in my class today insisted that this was sexist and guys should be allowed to hit girls

Now obviously violence of all sort should be condemned but what are your views on this?

Agree/Disagree with me?
Yes it is acceptable for a man to hit a woman, but only in self-defence. Just as in my eyes it's acceptable for a man to hit another man, but only in self-defence.
AndrewD95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i wouldn't ever in retaliation, but for me that would usually apply to guys aswell, but yes in self-defence.
ale_jrb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
Why not. If someone hits you, surely you should be entitled to hit back with reasonable force in self defence. Certainly the law allows anyone to act in self defence using reasonable force. So if a man or woman punches you, you can punch them back.
Pretty much this. If a girl hits you first, you're totally entitled to hit them back.
PostgradMatt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion there should be equality on this matter. It is unacceptable for anyone to hit anyone else, only in exceptional circumstances, or if its done for sport or mutual fun, in which case, enjoy.
LeSchool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In cases like THIS I think it's fine. Otherwise it's an absolute NO.
almost_instinct
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course.

Violence is abhorrent, but if you feel as though you're in physical danger then you have the right to defend yourself, either by restraining the aggressor or just hitting them.

Having said that, there will always be those situations - such as an argument between two partners - where it would be better simply to walk away if she were to hit you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (500)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed