The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yeah, it's totally true. That's why I applied. That's why there are so many socs and ECs, because everyone stays in with their books all the time.:rolleyes:
Ditto ^
Reply 3
I don't get that. Instead my mates say

"Isn't Cambridge full of people with top hats riding bikes? :wink:"
I got "Isn't Glasgow good enough for you then?"

Such a loving grandfather...
Reply 5
friendlyneutron
Oh yeah, it's totally true. That's why I applied. That's why there are so many socs and ECs, because everyone stays in with their books all the time.:rolleyes:

Well its not precisely that. Many people feel that university life should comprise of great parties, getting piss drunk, wet shirt contests, and lord knows what else- and I suppose they feel that such is not the case at somewhere like Cambridge. It just annoys me that they stereotype all Cambridge students as geeks/nerds/bookworms etc.
Reply 6
bazzasballs
I LOVE GEEKS. It makes Cambridge so much more cooler. Normal people suck. Don't even get me started on people who possess coolness.

Not helping there much mate. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Oh Lord. :rolleyes:
Can you explain to me what is so bad about geeks anyway? Aren't you one? I find it interesting how many people on these forums get quite protective about not being geeks. Geeks are cool, you heard it here first.

I'm looking for the hat-trick of roll eyes smilies here, don't disappoint me!
Reply 9
My gosh! I really didnt mean to say that theres anything bad about geeks as such. Its just that people shouldnt stereotype students in Cambridge as people who are all about books, and have no lives outside of it- because many of them do. Obviously all this is subjective, and while you may think geeks are cool, others (and most of them) will disagree.

As a matter of fact, you assume Im a geek myself simply because I hold an offer from Cambridge. This is exactly what is wrong. Just because a person is headed for Cambridge, should not mean that he/she has to be a bookworm. Its a misconception that many people have, and I was purely asking whether others have come across this situation.

I refuse to divulge upon whether you're a geek or not; the fact that you got offended by what I said (albeit I had no intention of causing offense) speaks for itself.
Reply 10
manthi
Well its not precisely that. Many people feel that university life should comprise of great parties, getting piss drunk, wet shirt contests, and lord knows what else- and I suppose they feel that such is not the case at somewhere like Cambridge. It just annoys me that they stereotype all Cambridge students as geeks/nerds/bookworms etc.

no other universities (apart from oxford) do anything that even comes close to a may ball. We work hard, but we play hard as well - and anyone who turns their nose up at that is just jealous that they dont get the opportunity to experience it! :p:
I didn't get offended, just interested to see your comments and replies to the questions I put forward. And I never assumed you were a geek, I was just enquiring (with a smidgeon of sarcasm) so relax, put your feet up.

Anyway, I've never had the 'OMG your going to be around nerds all the time' -though many probably assume it...but I would not be offended or worried by it anyway.

Can I ask one more thing...why no smilie for me?
Reply 12
I like geeky people. :smile:
I don't see the point in categorising people like 'geek' or 'chav', even if they do fit the stereotype. Some people will presumably be more into their work than others, but as long as everyone's happy who cares either way?!

Kaiser_mole - what sort of smiley do you want? :smile: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :cool:
Hope you don't feel unloved now! lol
You ahv ethe freedom here to be what you want to be and do what you want to do. if you want to become pallid through spending all your nights at the ADC doing lighting and sleeping all day, you can. If you want to row in the first boat you can. if you want to start a band, you can. if you want to spend 70 or so hours a week working, you can.

People do all these things. Most people here are geeks in teh mental sense, i.e. clever, but admitedly it shows more with some than others. And, really, no-one cares. As long as you are happy, which Cambridge can contribute towards.
sarahliz12345
:rolleyes:

:biggrin:

That's one of the things that attracts me about Cambridge, it feels a place that practically any sort of person can enjoy being at (as long as they keep their head above water in regards to that workload)
I'm geek chic.

If that counts.
Reply 17
I see it (almost) as a sign of arrogance when a potential Cambridge student thinks the place *might* be just full of geeks (I'm not putting the OP in with this group). What makes these people believe they're so special, to be the only "non-geeks" who happen to be academically talented enough to get into the University? Every University will have a few geeks, a few piss-heads, a few sporty types, a few arty types.... the list goes on. Don't assume for one second that because people happen to be "academically-well-endowed", it automatically means they're geeks.

:smile:
Reply 18
manthi
Its really annoying that people keep saying "My god you'll be surrounded with nerds who dont care about anything else but their books!" when they realise Ive an offer from Cambridge. Anyone else get this? And is this true????

Don't skit books. I love books. Some of my best friends are books.
Ha, i live near the maths fac, some of the people here can come across as a bit weird. I'm not exactly normal myself but i wouldn't say everyone's a geek. Vetties are a bit of a special breed too though. There's just a big cross-section of peeps here like anywhere else.

Dan

Latest

Trending

Trending