The Student Room Group

What do you need for a 2:1 in final year?

What do you need for a 2:1 in final year?

I need 62% overall :smile:
Reply 1
You should be fine. I remember needing 60.25 in my final year...ended up getting 60.75 in my final year. Got a 3rd in an exam so brought my average down hugely. But good luck! if you work hard, it's doable
Reply 2
Original post by Over2you
You should be fine. I remember needing 60.25 in my final year...ended up getting 60.75 in my final year. Got a 3rd in an exam so brought my average down hugely. But good luck! if you work hard, it's doable

Thanks!
Hi there,

I know this isn't answering your question but I just want to say that if you do end up getting a 2.2 it really isn't the end of the world, despite what some people say. I studied Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol

You need to work harder than I did in third year if you want a 2.1! I got a 2.2 in Second Year and a 2.1 in Third Year but ended up with a 2.2 overall because of the weightings (first year didn't count towards the grade). I did work hard in Third Year but it was too much to bring up the grade in the end and I missed it by 0.9%. I appealed but they said no to bringing up the grade. I was absolutely devastated at the time and it has taken me a LONG time to get over 'getting a Desmond.'

It sucks really, but honestly it's not the end of the world. I hated my degree in second year onwards so wasn't motivated to study. I realised that it wasn't for me and wanted to come home but was talked out of it by my parents.

I now have a very good good job working in the NHS for three years and doing better career-wise than my uni friends who go 2.1s and firsts. So it REALLY isn't the end of the world if you do end up with a 2.2. After you enter the world of work you prove yourself by working hard, gaining experience and achieving targets. I have a really great work ethic now and it's paying off!

Best ofluck and I really hope that you get that 2.1. Don't let anyone distract you and just spend all your time studying with regular breaks! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by littleeggy
Hi there,

I know this isn't answering your question but I just want to say that if you do end up getting a 2.2 it really isn't the end of the world, despite what some people say. I studied Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol

You need to work harder than I did in third year if you want a 2.1! I got a 2.2 in Second Year and a 2.1 in Third Year but ended up with a 2.2 overall because of the weightings (first year didn't count towards the grade). I did work hard in Third Year but it was too much to bring up the grade in the end and I missed it by 0.9%. I appealed but they said no to bringing up the grade. I was absolutely devastated at the time and it has taken me a LONG time to get over 'getting a Desmond.'

It sucks really, but honestly it's not the end of the world. I hated my degree in second year onwards so wasn't motivated to study. I realised that it wasn't for me and wanted to come home but was talked out of it by my parents.

I now have a very good good job working in the NHS for three years and doing better career-wise than my uni friends who go 2.1s and firsts. So it REALLY isn't the end of the world if you do end up with a 2.2. After you enter the world of work you prove yourself by working hard, gaining experience and achieving targets. I have a really great work ethic now and it's paying off!

Best ofluck and I really hope that you get that 2.1. Don't let anyone distract you and just spend all your time studying with regular breaks! :smile:

Well congratulations, i dont personally think of success as getting a job. I just want a 2:1 for the academic perspective, i do enjoy the subject i study. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Well congratulations, i dont personally think of success as getting a job. I just want a 2:1 for the academic perspective, i do enjoy the subject i study. Thanks for the advice.

That's cool. Success is different and personal for everyone. No worries, it just sounded like from your thread that you might have been boarder line and worried that you might not get a 2.1. At my Uni it was 60% for a 2.1. It varies from Uni to Uni and different depending on subject as well I think. Some subjects like maths at my Uni, one just had to get 2.1 in the final year. It's fantastic that you really enjoy your subject, perhaps you are thinking of going into academics if you really like it? All the best and good luck with your studies.
Reply 6
I can't help but worry about the grade I may get also but in the industry im going into (Web Design/Development) most don't even have a degree at all, instead they have or look for something much better and stronger a Portfolio or work and real world experience.

So with me I just keep reminding myself this to stop stressing so much. May not apply to you I know but thought i'd reply anyway.
Reply 7
I need 60% this year to get a 2.1 overall. Should be doable. To those saying a 2.2 isn't that bad. Maybe not for you, but it means I can't go into the career I want to if i get one.
Reply 8
Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Wow lol, Its all about consistency just spread your time out appropriately and you will be fine :smile:.
Reply 10
Original post by benwilliamsuk
For me it is:
Below 40% Fail, 40% Regular degree, 50% 2:2, 60% 2:1, 70% 1:1

An upper first, you say? :holmes:
Reply 11
Original post by benwilliamsuk
I think so, or perhaps it goes
1:1 70%
2:1 60%
2:2 50%
3rd 40%
Below 40% fail - but then what is a ordinary pass degree (non-honours). I don't know but I'm curious to find out now. *emails programme leader*

I was being a pedant.

It's not really '1:1' because there is no intra-first class grading like in second class where you can have upper and lower. So it should just be 1st.
Original post by Shelly_x
I need 60% this year to get a 2.1 overall. Should be doable. To those saying a 2.2 isn't that bad. Maybe not for you, but it means I can't go into the career I want to if i get one.

Good luck to you Shelly, I agree it is different for everyone. I hope you get the 2.1 you deserve. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending