Turn on thread page Beta

Failure to meet Grade Requirements! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring any possible criticism of myself as a critic, might you enlighten me as to the chances of one's college accepting you if one narrowly fails to reach the grades stipulated?

Thanks, Harry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrydone)
    Ignoring any possible criticism of myself as a critic, might one enlighten me as to the chances of one's college accepting you if one narrowly fails to reach the grades stipulated?

Thanks, Harry.
    You would do well to learn when it is correct to use the pronoun "one" and when it is not. There is at least one instance of incorrect usage in your question.

Universities are not legally obliged to take you if you miss your grades, even by one point. Whether or not they do will depend on how many offers they have made, how many other people have made/not made their grades (they may simply not have enough places) and how much they really want you. It's best to go all out for your grades rather than playing with chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You would do well to learn when it is correct to use the pronoun "one" and when it is not. There is at least one instance of incorrect usage in your question.

Universities are not legally obliged to take you if you miss your grades, even by one point. Whether or not they do will depend on how many offers they have made, how many other people have made/not made their grades (they may simply not have enough places) and how much they really want you. It's best to go all out for your grades rather than playing with chances.
    Thanks for your input. Apologies for my lack of grammatical knowledge! Perhaps you could point out my incorrect use of 'one' in my thread?

Thanks, Harry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrydone)
    Ignoring any possible criticism of myself as a critic, might one enlighten me as to the chances of one's college accepting you if one narrowly fails to reach the grades stipulated?
    You only use "one" when referring either to yourself or a non-specific person. In that case, you mean to say "you," or "someone" and "one" is not a suitable substitute. That's all.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.