DSC1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I understand the decision has to be mine, and i have done a great deal of research, but i thought it would be a good to ask the users of this site as it can't hurt.

I've applied to study a three year LLB law degree at the following universities:

1. University of York - AAA
2. Newcastle University - AAA
3. University of Reading - AAB
4. University of Bristol - AAA

I've received a conditional offer from York, Reading and Newcastle, so just awaiting a response from Bristol.

In terms of reputation, employment prospects and overall teaching quality, which would the best offer to accept?

My aim is to gain employment in the private legal sector and to what i understand, the university one qualifies from is an important factor.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
ThunderHawk1994
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All are solid my friend. I'd say York is the best. I see you've only selected 4 options though. For your 5th I'd recommend Queen Mary University of London for Law. They want A*AA (380 UCAS points) if you can pull it off though you'll be studying Law at a Uni which in terms of that course is ahead of KCL...
Norton1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThunderHawk1994)
All are solid my friend. I'd say York is the best. I see you've only selected 4 options though. For your 5th I'd recommend Queen Mary University of London for Law. They want A*AA (380 UCAS points) if you can pull it off though you'll be studying Law at a Uni which in terms of that course is ahead of KCL...
They've already applied, and I think the deadline is past so QMUL is maybe a but previous.

(Original post by DSC1992)
I understand the decision has to be mine, and i have done a great deal of research, but i thought it would be a good to ask the users of this site as it can't hurt.

I've applied to study a three year LLB law degree at the following universities:

I've received a conditional offer from York, Reading and Newcastle, so just awaiting a response from Bristol.

In terms of reputation, employment prospects and overall teaching quality, which would the best offer to accept?

My aim is to gain employment in the private legal sector and to what i understand, the university one qualifies from is an important factor.

Regards,
You're aware York has quite a different and innovative teaching style?
anonstudent1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DSC1992)

Regards,
I'd say Bristol
Kenocide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonstudent1)
I'd say Bristol
This.

Also, on a purely anecdotal and personal level, I went to an open day at Newcastle with the intention of applying there and hated it. Don't get me wrong, the university seemed alright and the city was nice, but the people and general feel of the Law department was... not pleasant. The staff came across as extremely snobby and up their own ****s.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think all are very much on par - maybe the AAA ones are slightly above Reading, but not by enough to make it significant. Get a good 2.1 from any of those universities, and you'll certainly have a shot at some of the best law firms. As long as employers are satisfied you went to a university where the teaching is sufficiently detailed (e.g. Russell Group, that sort of thing), then there are many more important things, such as work experience and your legal 'skills', when it comes to applying for jobs. The university is important but not as much as you might think.
vaguity
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bristol/York (York has risen fast considering how young it's law department is)
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say Bristol with Reading as insurance. The other two unis are also very good but I think the Bristol reputation just gives you the edge. If you don't get Bristol then I'd go for York. It depends where in the country you want to go really, Newcastle is so far!
fail_azn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThunderHawk1994)
really? you'd put QMUL in front of KCL
sorry i got offers from both of them and QMUL is asking for 36 IB, 666 HL whilst KCL is asking for 39
NOT saying this is a definite indicator to which is better but obviously the one that can afford limiting its applicants means it is more popular, hence better course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads