Buying a new phone contract for University Watch

Phoenix Boom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out what new phone I should get before I go to university and I am having troubles with deciding. In September, I'll be heading off to study criminology in Portsmouth university and I want to make sure my monthly phone bill doesn't cause any issues with money over the terms since I'll be paying for it. Since I plan to go into a public service career and will most probably get involved in volunteer work, I want to make sure the phone I buy won't be easily break also.

Luckily I get a 30% discount on my phone contract due to working with Sainsburys but while checking out phones in store, the offers that were suggested to me didn't seem that different from a regular contract price and the "Advisers" seemed to avoid giving me details on prices under £35 a month. I understand how shady they're so I'm looking for other people's opinions on current phones.

I've been currently checking out Samsung Galaxy 3 and Nexus 4 because of previous reviews. Also because some of the cheaper deals seem closer to my price range of under £30. Nexus 4 in particular because of the amazingly low buy price.

Anyone else any recommendations?

Except Black Berry, I hate the small key pad.
amberjenkins
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Check out 3, I am on 13:50 a month, 5000 texts, all you can eat data and 2000 mins for 3 to 3, and 500 outside 3 mins. You get a cheap phone, but they are harder to break and cheaper to mend if you do break them, not sure if you wanted to go super cheap, but is super good for me, had it nearly a year, no problems yet
pratstercs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nexus 4 bought outright (probably from Play store) and get a SIM only from 3 or Giffgaff.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is not actually answering the question you asked, but thought I'd say, make sure you check signal in the area you're moving to- you don't want to sign up to a contract to find there is really poor coverage for your network when you move! Seen people get caught out by this before.

Also, make sure you look in to sim-only contracts as well; if you can find a phone that you can afford upfront when you start uni then you'd be tying yourself in to a much smaller commitment in case you do get very short of money during uni. Of course though it has to be viable for you, so you'd need to upfront phone cost and it would only really make sense if it's less overall.

xxx
rayore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a look at this http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/plans/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads