Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently went to a University fair. The Oxbridge stands were obviosly not prepared and seemed to think they didn't have to put in any effort with prospective students.
    If they didn't have such a good reputation nobody would go. Their representation at the fair was awful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredoflearning)
    I recently went to a University fair. The Oxbridge stands were obviosly not prepared and seemed to think they didn't have to put in any effort with prospective students.
    If they didn't have such a good reputation nobody would go. Their representation at the fair was awful!
    Perhaps it was lack of organisation on their behalf, yet they are under no obligation to conform to standards of presentation set down by yourself.

Thanks, Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much my own standards. The standards were set by the fair itself. There were loads of smaller universities with more information to give, as well as a friendly face to hand you a prospectus. Oxford in particular didn't have any information to give me, not even a proper propectus.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much my own standards. The standards were set by the fair itself. There were loads of smaller universities with more information to give, as well as a friendly face to hand you a prospectus. Oxford in particular didn't have any information to give me, not even a proper propectus.
    Fair enough. I think there is alot of truth in what you say. Oxford do not need to make an effort to attract top-class candidates because of it's world-class reputation. You should refer to Oxford University's website if you need a prospectus!

Thanks, Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford wouldn't give me a prospectus when I went to a HE fair. Obviously I don't look clever enough....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Oxford wouldn't give me a prospectus when I went to a HE fair. Obviously I don't look clever enough....

Or they were intimidated by the fact that you were so obviously of a much higher calibre than their students...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Well Cambridge wouldn't give my friend a prospectus because she looked too 'gothic' :confused:
    I agree though, they could make more of an effort. It's just they have their own events so I guess they expect potential applicants to go to those instead of general HE fairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Well Cambridge wouldn't give my friend a prospectus because she looked too 'gothic' :confused:
    I agree though, they could make more of an effort. It's just they have their own events so I guess they expect potential applicants to go to those instead of general HE fairs.
    Not very encouraging when noone has ever encouraged you to apply so you go to the stand by yourself and want a prospectus to secretly look at. Everyone discouraged me, so I'm glad I was forceful - and I'm glad I chose Cam! (no offence to Ox....)

ReputationRep:
    with a lot of the HE fairs the prospecti aren't printed in time. On the other hand this is no excuse for the rudeness reported in this thread. When I went to and HE fair I went to the army stand and told them I wanted a job killing people. Their reply was "we don't have jobs like that in the army"

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    When I went to and HE fair I went to the army stand and told them I wanted a job killing people. Their reply was "we don't have jobs like that in the army"
    Oh the irony...

i couldnt acxtually get near the cambridge stand because it was soooooooooooo crowded. in the end i managd to talk to a peson who didnt have a clue at all about anything i wanted to know - neither of them were sciency at all.

i spent most of my time in the end returning abandoned prospectuses to their stands, cos i felt bad that all these prospectuses were being binned straight away, and collecting free sweets

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Well, out of personal experience I can say Cambridge are really making an effort with NII, the Northern Ireland Initiative, and Oxford are also sending lecturers and students.

A group of people from Corpus Christi are taking us for a full day, to tell us about application procedures, courses available etc. We get a "mini-lecture" on a subject and a Northern Irish undergraduate is going to do a mock interview.
    I'm only annoyed because no physics or maths lecturers are coming!

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about the ucas fair (in london), I went there too. I agree that the oxbridge stands weren't great (especially oxford's). However, their representatives were very forthcoming and helpful. Well they answered all my questions anyway.

There was a special Oxbridge seminar too, and the oxbridge people (one a Selwyn coll. Camb admissions tutor) talked at length about oxbridge, and took many questions. I thought this was very helpful

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.