The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiyubi
Polar and non polar molecules oxygen, co2, ions eg nitrate too many!

Yeah, stuff like lipid soluble molecules that can pass directly through the cell membrane.

Nitrate ions though aren't used by cells though, only plants for the synthesis of nucleic acids for growth :s-smilie:
Original post by James A
No 19 caught my eye.

'The part played by the movement of substances across cell surface membranes in the functioning of different organs and organ systems'

This one is tricky.

Bullet points:

Carrier Proteins - outline and give examples
Glucose Co-Transport
Hormones
Secretory cells - e.g. pancreas

Can't think of any more.

:s-smilie:

Can water molecules be referred to as substances?

Guys, any help would be appreciated.

Original post by laser174572
Sodium and potassium ions during the passage of an action potential would seem to be a relevant point, plus Saprobiontic organisms might be relevant...it's difficult to think of anything I know beyond the syllabus to get the extra marks for that one, though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ghost95
That's a tough one... I don't see why you couldn't write about water, just be careful what it is. Maybe counter-current flow mechanism in gills? It's a movement of oxygen across a cell membrane vital for respiration in fish so maybe. Look for the exam paper mark scheme for that question they always give a breakdown of what is acceptable to write about :smile:

Original post by kiyubi
Polar and non polar molecules oxygen, co2, ions eg nitrate too many!

Answers for question 19 :smile:
Original post by simstaaar

:facepalm2: I feel so stupid now. I should have known some of these! hahaha

Thanks a million for uploading the answers! :cool:
Reply 2443
What part of the brain is responsible for the stimulation to secrete FSH and LH?
Original post by Anjna
What part of the brain is responsible for the stimulation to secrete FSH and LH?

Pituitary gland

:smile:
Reply 2445
Original post by James A
Yeah, stuff like lipid soluble molecules that can pass directly through the cell membrane.

Nitrate ions though aren't used by cells though, only plants for the synthesis of nucleic acids for growth :s-smilie:

Roots are organ system though and u could link the movement of the substances up to the xylem
Reply 2446

could you possible upload the booklet with the answers? it would be so helpful! :biggrin:
Original post by James A
:facepalm2: I feel so stupid now. I should have known some of these! hahaha

Thanks a million for uploading the answers! :cool:

My pleasure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anjna
could you possible upload the booklet with the answers? it would be so helpful! :biggrin:

Yeah I will at some point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2449
Btw people if energy transfer does come up, cover these topics, I have a past paper up
The title is
The transfer of energy between different organsims and between these organisms and their environment

The MS includes
Photosynthesis (sunlight to synthesise organic products etc)
Ecology (energy transfer through food chains)
Energy loss
So respiration produces ATP which provides energy for blah blah
Temperature control so homeostasis so energy loss via radiation for example
Receptors converting stimuli into electrical impulses in nerve cells is on there too
Original post by kiyubi
Roots are organ system though and u could link the movement of the substances up to the xylem

Oh yes, I forgot about that, hehe

Yeah, mineral ions are actively transported into the xylem !
Reply 2451
Yeah I will at some point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks! :smile:
Original post by YWArtist
Btw people if energy transfer does come up, cover these topics, I have a past paper up
The title is
The transfer of energy between different organsims and between these organisms and their environment

The MS includes
Photosynthesis (sunlight to synthesise organic products etc)
Ecology (energy transfer through food chains)
Energy loss
So respiration produces ATP which provides energy for blah blah
Temperature control so homeostasis so energy loss via radiation for example
Receptors converting stimuli into electrical impulses in nerve cells is on there too

Awesome, you could also talk about ATPsynthase and how it generates ATP (cristae of mitochondria) through the use of an electrochemical gradient!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_synthase

ATP synthase is awesome :cool:

Another thing, could I talk about cholera and ORS (even though it's not on the mark scheme?)

cheers

edit: just realised that the essay is about the functioning of organs! so maybe it won't be allowed?
Whats the general structure for the essay?

How many points am I suppose to write and also an intro and conclusion?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by James A
Another thing, could I talk about cholera and ORS (even though it's not on the mark scheme?)

cheers

edit: just realised that the essay is about the functioning of organs! so maybe it won't be allowed?

Yeah arguably, like the whole idea of the chloride ions moving into the lumen of the small intestine and the more negative water potential here as a result etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah arguably, like the whole idea of the chloride ions moving into the lumen of the small intestine and the more negative water potential here as a result etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

woohoo, yeahhhh. Maybe I could bring in a little bit about cystic fibrosis
Reply 2457
Can someone plz explain question 4cii after chapter 16 where it says give the sequence of the shortes DNA fragment produced in tube 2 thx
is stating that IAA moves down the root/shoot the same as saying it moves to the lower side?
Reply 2459
Can anyone explain to me what the point of restriction mapping is?

The nelson thornes tells you what to do but doesn't tell you what the point of all this is.

From what I understand it is a process we use to find the restriction site of specific restriction endonucleases, am I correct?

Also, during DNA sequencing, are the DNA fragments which are put into each of the test tubes identical to each other?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending