The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Heyy
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the bio5 papers from the old spec from?
They don't seem to be on the aqa website anymore :/
Reply 2481
Original post by MLogan
on what?

Energy transfer I think it was. Bit of a broad topic tbh.
Original post by ahmmm
is your principal ms hunter by any chance?

Yes :eek: Why do you ask?
Original post by Ghost95
Not sure if 52 would be an A but 61 is definitely an A. Don't worry too much about the essay, seriously everyone does crap on it, the average mark is like 11/12 out of 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thanks! I got 52 a few days ago and 61 today so hopefully the extra revision has helped and fingers crossed I'll get a score like that in the exam! I'll relax a bit about the essay then, that's the part I've been most worried about.
In the AQA texbook summary questions, it says that the K+ channels are closed during the resting potential and when the axon begins to depolarise but I thought they were open during the resting potential?
Original post by Ghost95
Not sure if 52 would be an A but 61 is definitely an A. Don't worry too much about the essay, seriously everyone does crap on it, the average mark is like 11/12 out of 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, my teacher said that, plus, AQA make it even harder by deducting marks if you go into too much detail, which is ridiculous. I did an essay on cause for disease, mentioned HIV and lost marks for going into too much detail, then lost marks for relevance!
Reply 2486
Original post by SusieShire
Ah okay thanks! I got 52 a few days ago and 61 today so hopefully the extra revision has helped and fingers crossed I'll get a score like that in the exam! I'll relax a bit about the essay then, that's the part I've been most worried about.

Goodluck :smile: half marks on the essay and you've beaten most of the country haha, and with 61 on the main paper your home free with an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371236593.685789.jpg all of these transport ones are absolutely horrible! :frown: I would be so grateful if someone could help me please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2488
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Yes, my teacher said that, plus, AQA make it even harder by deducting marks if you go into too much detail, which is ridiculous. I did an essay on cause for disease, mentioned HIV and lost marks for going into too much detail, then lost marks for relevance!

Yeah, you have to be careful not to stray from the spec, they're weirdly strict about that. It's not like an essay for say geography where you get marks for showing outside knowledge, you're only allowed credit for what you learnt from the spec for A-level :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2489
Original post by Mocking_bird

i was reading my notes against what you wrote and could'nt believe what i was seeing!! bigup dr garnzz :cool:
Original post by Ghost95

Posted from TSR Mobile

11/12 out of 25?! Are you sure? On june 2012 exam report i remember them saying many more people attaining 12/16 for scientific knowledge.. :L
Original post by ahmmm
i was reading my notes against what you wrote and could'nt believe what i was seeing!! bigup dr garnzz :cool:

Is he the guy who always wears green pants? :') lmao

I have Miss foulds.
Reply 2492

oh and could you explain the part of translation where 'all the codons have been read and a polypeptide is produced' ?? confused... :confused:
Reply 2493
A good tip for essay revision is to get a copy of the spec and make a table, a box for each unit (1,2,4,5) and then look at a bunch of essay titles. For each essay write a little bit in the boxes for each unit, whatever you can remember, then check against the spec and fill in what you missed. Don't go for detail in the boxes, literally just the title of a topic (like an essay on cycles write "nitrogen/carbon, Calvin, menstrual, sliding filament theory...")

That's what my biology teacher said to do, and it works pretty well. Lets face it, you're not going to revise all 4 units in detail again so just pick out little bits that you're confident on and work on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2494
Is he the guy who always wears green pants? :') lmao

I have Miss foulds.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss badass :cool: dont think i know of her, ive seen the tall one though! and the kick boxer or thai boxer or something like that :rolleyes:
Reply 2495
Original post by master y
11/12 out of 25?! Are you sure? On june 2012 exam report i remember them saying many more people attaining 12/16 for scientific knowledge.. :L

That's just what my biology teacher told us, and he's an AQA examiner so I took his word :tongue: maybe 11 is a bit low, but the main point is that everyone gets pretty low scores, not much more than half (across the country) on average

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ghost95
Yeah, you have to be careful not to stray from the spec, they're weirdly strict about that. It's not like an essay for say geography where you get marks for showing outside knowledge, you're only allowed credit for what you learnt from the spec for A-level :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, which is annoying as I do geography :frown: Are you prepared for it?
Original post by ahmmm
is your principal ms hunter by any chance?

Woo, more people from xaverian? ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2498
Can someone pleasee explain to me about IAA on agar blocks like on question 10 of the 2009 specimen paper? I really don't understand about the numbers underneath the agar and what they represent aaahhh :confused:

hey can you please explain the oestrous cycle and the positive an dnegative factors in that please

Latest

Trending

Trending