The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ropin1
lets hope your teacher is right, ATP would be awesome

Agreed! I think ATP or DNA are my two favourites if they came up :smile:
Original post by imawasteman
right here's the crack lads; ive done **** all revision so please tell me the things to revise to get maximum marks in the time ive got left. cheers. btw i am on a B atm

Ambitious...Luckily the UMS is pretty kind on this exam, if you want to get maximum marks I would say revise feedback mechanisms, do a paper and then see where the holes in your knowledge are from where you lose marks in the paper
Original post by gingerandice
I tried out your questions !

Well done you got all of them! :biggrin:

Steroids just diffuse across the bilayer
Reply 4083
Original post by laser174572
Ambitious...Luckily the UMS is pretty kind on this exam, if you want to get maximum marks I would say revise feedback mechanisms, do a paper and then see where the holes in your knowledge are from where you lose marks in the paper

feedback mechanisms? you think the essays gonna be on that?
Original post by ahmmm
feedback mechanisms? you think the essays gonna be on that?

There could be positive and negative feedback, there's quite a lot of them?
Heart rate, homeostasis, hormones...
Reply 4085
Original post by ropin1
lets hope your teacher is right, ATP would be awesome

if ATP doesn't come up im walking out straight away lool
Original post by Tikara
omg thanks alot :biggrin:

Can anyone explain the difference between an electrochemical gradient and a concentration gradient?

is it the same thing except that with the electrochemical gradient, the substance being moved is charged so like sodium moves into axon down a electrochemical gradient when depolarisation is occurring.
any1 explain neuromuscular junction in muscle thanks
Reply 4088
Original post by ameliestia
There could be positive and negative feedback, there's quite a lot of them?
Heart rate, homeostasis, hormones...

flippin hope not, im TEAM ATP!!
Reply 4089
Question 5- b, jUNE 2011 .... If there is already one recognition site on the plasmid, and only 3 fragments are produced, doesn't it mean that there is only one recognition site on the unknown piece of DNA?
Thanks

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
Reply 4090
what are some ideas for the uses of water in an essay?

Im thinking;
water as electron donor in photolysis in electron transport chain of photosynthesis
water needed in sweat for thermoregulation
in plants to keeps cells turgid
dilution of urea
there are things about water potential and osmosis;
movement of water into plant roots
cholera and loss of water
blood glucose and water potential

hmmm not much :angry:
Does anyone know if there has been a question on the different ways substances move in organisms e.g. diffusion, osmosis and active transport.. that could potentially be an essay with a lot of content to draw from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4092
how many detailed points do you think you can make to get the full 16 marks for the scientific knowledge marks in the synoptic question ?
Original post by stoppy123
Basically when IAA is in high concentrations in roots, growth is inhibited.

Ok, so am i right in saying that for geotropism, the IAA in the roots in the lower side is in high concentration, so the cell growth is inhibited whereas the upper side continues to grow, causing the cell on the lower side to bend and therefore grow downwards??
Reply 4094
Original post by EllieSp
what are some ideas for the uses of water in an essay?

Im thinking;
water as electron donor in photolysis in electron transport chain of photosynthesis
water needed in sweat for thermoregulation
in plants to keeps cells turgid
dilution of urea
there are things about water potential and osmosis;
movement of water into plant roots
cholera and loss of water
blood glucose and water potential

hmmm not much :angry:

is uses of water likely? :eek:
Original post by laser174572
Yeah it's afternoon, 17 hours to go :tongue:

:afraid:
any1 explain neuromuscular junction in muscle thanks
thx
Reply 4097
Original post by ahmmm
flippin hope not, im TEAM ATP!!

I'd love an essay on, ATP, water, or enzymes :P
Original post by LitGeek94
Ok, so am i right in saying that for geotropism, the IAA in the roots in the lower side is in high concentration, so the cell growth is inhibited whereas the upper side continues to grow, causing the cell on the lower side to bend and therefore grow downwards??

Correct :nod:
Reply 4099
Original post by Adl91
Whats the difference between a marker gene and a DNA PROBE ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :s-smilie::s-smilie:

A DNA probe is a single fragment of DNA that is complementary for the gene you are looking for. It is usually radioactively/fluorescently labelled so you can see if the gene is present.
Marker genes are usually used in IN VIVO cloning. The plasmid you are using for a vector will have a marker gene. Lets assume that the marker gene produces a blue pigment. When you insert the desired gene into the vector, it attaches in the middle of the marker gene. This means any transformed bacteria that take up the recombinant plasmid will not produce the blue pigment as the gene has been destroyed. This allows you to detect which bacteria have taken up the recombinant plasmid or just a normal plasmid(no desired gene)

Latest

Trending

Trending