The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizzie232
You should be able to see this if you put it on word and zoom in... if not, message me and I can email you it or pictures of different parts :smile:

Thankyou! I can see it well :smile:
Muscles!!
Hope this helps!
Just about to finish my gene technology one now!
Hopefully do it all by tonight..
Reply 863
Hi has anybody got the AQA Jan 13 unit5 Biol past paper! ran out of papers to revise from and this s the only one i cant get my hands on
Original post by TOMH95
Hi has anybody got the AQA Jan 13 unit5 Biol past paper! ran out of papers to revise from and this s the only one i cant get my hands on

Hi Tom,

Unit 5 is only sat in June. Never in January......
Original post by TOMH95

Wouldn't advise others to finish all past papers 1 month before the exam....there are only 3! Try and improve your essay technique/specimen paper/old spec papers.
A couple people liked my menstrual cycle poster so here are mine for muscles and muscle contraction :smile:
Reply 867
2 questions.

1) Is exampro any good. Someone told me most questions are irrelevant to the current spec
2) When is the best time to start past papers in terms of dates?
Reply 868
really struggling with chapter 16.

spec says fragments are produced by:
A) using reverse transcriptase (I understand this)
B) Using restriction endonucleases (Sort of understand this, how will cutting up the DNA help isolate the fragments? Also does the body have enzymes to cut at recognition sites of every single gene? Finally, since restriction endonucleases cut at palindromic sequences, what if the required gene doesnt contain palindromic sequences?)
C) PCR (confused because the NT book says this is a method for cloning AFTER fragment has been collected whereas the spec says it is for collecting fragments)
In other words, is PCR a way of collecting the fragments, cloning the fragments or both?

Next part I dont understand is if the fragments are obtained using reverse transcriptase, then how will they be inserted into plasmid and cloned in vivo?
since no restriction enzymes were used for obtaining the DNA, which restriction enzyme will be used for cutting the plasmid.
(I think if DNA fragments are obtained from reverse transcriptase, then in vitro is the only method of cloning. Is this correct?)
Only other possible explanation is that even if the DNA fragment is obtained from reverse transcriptase, it is still cut by a restriction enzyme which is also used to cut the plasmid and then inserted into bacteria. This doesnt seem correct though.

AS you can see from this post, im really struggling. If anyone can help me with chapter 16 or anything discussed in this post, I will really appreciate it. Fully understand all the other chapters now so maybe I will be able to return the favour sometime
(edited 10 years ago)
v
Original post by helpme456

B) Using restriction endonucleases (Sort of understand this, how will cutting up the DNA help isolate the fragments? Also does the body have enzymes to cut at recognition sites of every single gene? Finally, since restriction endonucleases cut at palindromic sequences, what if the required gene doesnt contain palindromic sequences?)
C) PCR (confused because the NT book says this is a method for cloning AFTER fragment has been collected whereas the spec says it is for collecting fragments)
In other words, is PCR a way of collecting the fragments, cloning the fragments or both?

Next part I dont understand is if the fragments are obtained using reverse transcriptase, then how will they be inserted into plasmid and cloned in vivo?
since no restriction enzymes were used for obtaining the DNA, which restriction enzyme will be used for cutting the plasmid.
(I think if DNA fragments are obtained from reverse transcriptase, then in vitro is the only method of cloning. Is this correct?)
Only other possible explanation is that even if the DNA fragment is obtained from reverse transcriptase, it is still cut by a restriction enzyme which is also used to cut the plasmid and then inserted into bacteria. This doesnt seem correct though.

AS you can see from this post, im really struggling. If anyone can help me with chapter 16 or anything discussed in this post, I will really appreciate it. Fully understand all the other chapters now so maybe I will be able to return the favour sometime

B) By cutting out the gene, you're separating it from the rest of the DNA strand, hence 'isolating' it from the rest. All this part is done outside the body, the 'in vivo' bit refers to the gene being cloned in living cells i.e. the host cells. The majority of the DNA tech section is all done in a lab :smile: Then I assume they can't cut it? You don't really need to know that, don't worry, just assume the sequence is palindromic :smile:
C) From my book 'PCR is a method of copying fragments of DNA'

Yep, reverse transcriptase method is only for PCR, because the DNA fragment in PCR doesn't need to be put into a plasmid, so isn't cut with the restriction endonuclease.

Hope that helps :smile: Do you not have the AQA endorsed textbook, that's what I use and it's easier to understand in the way it's set out :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
Yes

During DNA replication DNA Polymerase synthesizes the strand whilst DNA Ligase completes it. The bit I think a lot of people don't realise is that Polymerase does not always start at the beginning of the DNA strand and move down the DNA sequentially. Polymerases bind at different points in the single strand of DNA indicated to them by primers. Sometimes Polymerases start in the middle of the section and attach a few nucleotides before falling off. When the DNA is replicated in the cell cycle many Polymerases will bind to the same strand to simultaneously replicate the DNA.

During replication there are many different sections of replicated DNA on the strand (the sections are called Okazaki fragments). Once the DNA Polymerases have fallen off DNA Ligase travels along the DNA and fills in any gaps between the different sections the Polymerases completed. This means that many Polymerases can replicate the DNA at once, which makes replication much faster overall.

In unit 5 we learn that DNA Ligases are also used in Biotechnology to join two sections of DNA that had been separated (using restriction endonucleases) back together again. Here it does the same thing (forms covalent phosphodiester bonds between the two fragments).

Hope this helps

What joins the new chain with all its phosphodiester bonds to the existing chain then? By that I mean the hydrogen bonds between the bases? This is confusing as in many of the A level books, they say that DNA polymerase does this, but clearly it doesn't!
Original post by helpme456

Original post by jess_m94
B) By cutting out the gene, you're separating it from the rest of the DNA strand, hence 'isolating' it from the rest. All this part is done outside the body, the 'in vivo' bit refers to the gene being cloned in living cells i.e. the host cells. The majority of the DNA tech section is all done in a lab :smile: Then I assume they can't cut it? You don't really need to know that, don't worry, just assume the sequence is palindromic :smile:
C) From my book 'PCR is a method of copying fragments of DNA'

The plasmid is cut using the same Restriction endonuclease, so will have complementary sticky ends to the gene :smile:
DNA is cut with reverse transcriptase.

Hope that helps :smile: Do you not have the AQA endorsed textbook, that's what I use and it's easier to understand in the way it's set out :smile:

I don't think you've answered the question! Also where its in bold you put reverse transcriptase, when you meant restriction endonuclease, which I've changed it to. The original poster meant what if restriction endonucleases are not used to obtain the DNA fragment, so you cant use the same ones to cut the plasmid?
Original post by Anniestasia
What joins the new chain with all its phosphodiester bonds to the existing chain then? By that I mean the hydrogen bonds between the bases? This is confusing as in many of the A level books, they say that DNA polymerase does this, but clearly it doesn't!

Hydrogen bonds reform themselves, they don't need any enzymes to join the base pairs.

You do realise the question you asked before will not be asked in the exams! :ninja:

Unless of course, you are preparing for the synoptic essay
Original post by James A
Hydrogen bonds reform themselves, they don't need any enzymes to join the base pairs.

You do realise the question you asked before will not be asked in the exams! :ninja:

Unless of course, you are preparing for the synoptic essay

It helps me to secure my understanding though! And it's just annoying not knowing little things like the difference between DNA ligase and DNA polymerase. Thanks for your help everyone anywho!:redface:
Original post by Anniestasia
I don't think you've answered the question! Also where its in bold you put reverse transcriptase, when you meant restriction endonuclease, which I've changed it to. The original poster meant what if restriction endonucleases are not used to obtain the DNA fragment, so you cant use the same ones to cut the plasmid?

Haha oh yeah i'll edit it now.

EDIT: Fixed i think :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
My teacher tends to talk a load of rubbish, but he seemed to be under the impression that a list of possible essays is posted each year and that the essays in the paper will be on it, plus a few others. Anyone know if this is true?
Reply 876
Original post by Beth_L_G
My teacher tends to talk a load of rubbish, but he seemed to be under the impression that a list of possible essays is posted each year and that the essays in the paper will be on it, plus a few others. Anyone know if this is true?

I don't think so, I'm fairly sure my teacher would have said so otherwise.

However, sometimes people make predictions and that topic may coincidentally come up. That's happened in some of my exams before, but I don't think there's an official list of essay questions. Would be too easy to learn an essay plan off by heart otherwise :/
Original post by Beth_L_G

Original post by Gnome :)
I don't think so, I'm fairly sure my teacher would have said so otherwise.

However, sometimes people make predictions and that topic may coincidentally come up. That's happened in some of my exams before, but I don't think there's an official list of essay questions. Would be too easy to learn an essay plan off by heart otherwise :/

Your teacher may be right! I've attached a document that I saved, but I'm not sure if it's from AQA itself. In fact, it's possible someone else on this thread posted it wayyyy back- but I've no idea which page so credit goes to whoever :tongue:
So restriction endonucleases must be used in in vivo cloning as then you need to use the same one to cut the plasmid? If you used reverse transcriptase to get the DNA fragment then you'd have no identical restriction endonuclease to use to create complementary sticky ends on the plasmid, as you haven't used one! Right?
hey guys hope revision is going well. I have a couple of questions. When writing the essay how much detail do you put into it e.g. if i am writing an essay on cycles and i mention the nitrogen cycle, do i just give a summary of the processes, ammonifcation, nitrification etc.? Also in terms of the content for biol5 i was under the impression that you memorise processes extremely precisely but my teacher said you just have to know like a summary in your head but know the key terms associated with each step of the process. Is this what you guys do?
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending