The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Sorry I'f someone has already asked this, I haven't checked! Does anyone have any predictions on what the essay titles may be? :-)
Reply 1061
Original post by sophie15
Sorry I'f someone has already asked this, I haven't checked! Does anyone have any predictions on what the essay titles may be? :-)

These are essay titles that were used on the old specification and that AQA said would be like the ones we will get:

The different ways in which organisms use ATP.

How the structure of cells is related to their function.

The structure and functions of carbohydrates.

How bacteria affect human lives. (This has been done twice on the new spec with "The causes of disease in humans." and "How bacteria can affect the lives of humans and other organisms.")

The biological importance of water.

The ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other.

Describe how the structures of different polymers are related to their functions.

Why offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance.

The importance of hydrogen bonds in living organisms.

The movement of substances within living organisms.

How the structure of proteins is related to their functions.

The process of osmosis and its importance to living organisms.

Energy transfers which take place inside living organisms.

Inorganic ions include those of sodium, phosphorus and hydrogen. Describe how these and other inorganic ions are used in living organisms.

These are essay titles already used:
JUNE 2012:The importance of shapes fitting together in cells and organisms.
How bacteria can affect the lives of humans and other organisms.

JUNE 2011: Using DNA in science and technology.
A cycle is a biological pathway or process in which the end product of one cycle
becomes the starting point for the next cycle. Write an essay about cycles in biology.

JUNE 2010: Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly. Describe and explain these effects.
The causes of disease in humans.

SPECIMEN: Mean temperatures are rising in many parts of the world. The rising temperatures may result in physiological and ecological effects on living organisms. Describe and explain these effects.
The causes of variation and its biological importance.

I'm pretty sure bacteria won't come up again. Variation and its importance would be nice as there's so much you could write about. Also, an essay title on structures and functions would be a good one too. As practice you could try to do a plan for each of the old specification essays (something similar to one of the titles may be on the exam) :smile:
Was there a BIOL5 paper in january this year?
Original post by FootInMouth
Was there a BIOL5 paper in january this year?

Nope, BIOL5 papers are always sat in June, well since 2010 anyway, which is why there are so few past papers :/
Question: Are ganglion cells( linked to bipolar cells), sensory neurons?
Reply 1065
Original post by Mocking_bird
I'm tempted to just not go in on the day of the mock but... we'll see!

Oo i'd be really grateful for the extra questions :biggrin:

my teacher was a bit annoyed though! anyways I sent you a pm :smile:
Reply 1066
Can anyone explain to me about IAA and the roots?. I alwayz thought that IAA was made in the shoot tip and diffuses to thw darker side via asymetric illumination hence makes the tip ti grow towards the light...
But im confused in the root..what happenz?? In the ms for a question this is what the ans is;
1368559397204.jpg

And then in this question?
1368559441820.jpg
What does it mean by IAA move to the lower side? Both sides havr no light ahhhhh!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAA is affected by gravity too!
Reply 1068
Original post by king101
Can anyone explain to me about IAA and the roots?. I alwayz thought that IAA was made in the shoot tip and diffuses to thw darker side via asymetric illumination hence makes the tip ti grow towards the light...
But im confused in the root..what happenz?? In the ms for a question this is what the ans is;
1368559397204.jpg

And then in this question?
1368559441820.jpg
What does it mean by IAA move to the lower side? Both sides havr no light ahhhhh!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I get that, but is IAA made in the roots? And if yes, why/how? I thought it needed light to make IAA. And which is the lower side of the root?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by king101
Yes I get that, but is IAA made in the roots? And if yes, why/how? I thought it needed light to make IAA. And which is the lower side of the root?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IAA is made in the shoot tip :smile:
Reply 1070
Original post by jess_m94
IAA is made in the shoot tip :smile:

But in the ms it says its madr in the root tip? So does it diffuse from the shoot tip to the root? I dont think thats right...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Made in both shoot and root tips!
Original post by king101
But in the ms it says its madr in the root tip? So does it diffuse from the shoot tip to the root? I dont think thats right...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's made in both root tip and shoot tip :smile: However IAA stimulates growth in shoots and inhibits growth in roots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/biology/control_regulation/growth/revision/3/
So what are peoples predictions for this years essays? I'm expecting one on either the carbon or nitrogen cycle
Original post by king101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Made in both.
Reply 1075
Original post by James A
Made in both.

Right got it, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1076
Original post by Gnome :)
It's made in both root tip and shoot tip :smile: However IAA stimulates growth in shoots and inhibits growth in roots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/biology/control_regulation/growth/revision/3/

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1077
Can someone tell me bow scientific content on the Essay is marked. I was looking at the ms's and they have these 'descriptors'. And many of them are from Unit 5, so if I only had 3 descriptors and talked alot about them could I get like 10marks for this bit...and all 3 being from unit 5...
It says nothing about differebt units but just differnt parts of the spec..which it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1078
can someone help me on this please.in the menstrual cycle, it says that low oestrogen levels inhibit the release of FSH and LH but after 10 days it says that high levels of oestrogen stimulate the release of FSH and LH. why does this happen? I asked my teacher and she said you don't need to know why but I would like to understand myself why, becasue it just makes no sense to me!
Original post by king101
Can someone tell me bow scientific content on the Essay is marked. I was looking at the ms's and they have these 'descriptors'. And many of them are from Unit 5, so if I only had 3 descriptors and talked alot about them could I get like 10marks for this bit...and all 3 being from unit 5...
It says nothing about differebt units but just differnt parts of the spec..which it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! We went through this today in class from our mock & this is the mark scheme we were given from last year. My teacher said that they check you have something from a range from this table, to check you have breadth and knowledge, if that makes sense? Ask if it doesn't, my brain is a bit of a mess at explaining today :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending