The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noreaction
oh i think that bit is ok

how confident are you on the dna bit towards the end and the essay in general

how can i better myself if i have no lessons to go to ??

I quite enjoy it and the essay I don't mind either, as long as the questions don't end up awkward.

Better yourself? ermmm i'm not really sure! Depends which bits you're actually stuck on?
Original post by James A
Temper hahaha.

:lol:
So when are we gonna start question testing? Funny how we've done it on every thread so far :lol:
Original post by erniiee
So when are we gonna start question testing? Funny how we've done it on every thread so far :lol:

I'll start it off then, will do non-human bits since I suck at those parts.

How does a kinesis keep a maggot in favourable conditions?
so guys, what are the predicitions for the 25 marker?
Original post by AtomicMan
I'll start it off then, will do non-human bits since I suck at those parts.

How does a kinesis keep a maggot in favourable conditions?

Oh lordy, moves more rapidly/makes less frequent turns when in unfavourable conditions in order to make it more likely to leave the area. When in favourable conditions, it moves less rapidly/turns more frequently so its more likely to stay in those favourable conditions.

Define negative feedback
Original post by AdamStott64
TEMPOral. Tempo = Speed. :smile:

Thats pretty good, thanks!
Original post by erniiee

Do you have any way of remembering which is temporal and which is spatial? I can't think of anything handy haha

TEMPOral - Tempo = speed :smile:
Original post by erniiee
Oh lordy, moves more rapidly/makes less frequent turns when in unfavourable conditions in order to make it more likely to leave the area. When in favourable conditions, it moves less rapidly/turns more frequently so its more likely to stay in those favourable conditions.

Define negative feedback

Everything is right, except it turns more frequently in unfavourable conditions, and turns less frequently in favourable conditions (got the two the wrong way around).

Negative feedback is when a change in the system causes a series of changes that brings the system back to the norm/set-point, reducing the deviation of the system from the set point.
Everything is right, except it turns more frequently in unfavourable conditions, and turns less frequently in favourable conditions (got the two the wrong way around).

Negative feedback is when a change in the system causes a series of changes that brings the system back to the norm/set-point, reducing the deviation of the system from the set point.

Theres an interesting debate as to the effect of unfavourable conditions on the changing of direction..http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1633445

Negative feedback sounds good!
Original post by EatRainbows_x
Does anybody have the jan 2013 paper and mark scheme...Pleaseeee?? :smile:

It's non-existent.
Original post by Mocking_bird
It's non-existent.

Oh yeah sorry, haha just realised :colondollar:
If we're going to do this question thing again, ask a question when you answer one, otherwise it just dies extra quickly as seen above :rolleyes:

1) State 2 differences between the endocrine system and the nervous system
2) Explain what the response is when there is a decrease in blood glucose levels.
I've just added my argument into that thread but does anyone actually know the definite answer?
Reply 1154
If we're going to do this question thing again, ask a question when you answer one, otherwise it just dies extra quickly as seen above :rolleyes:

2) Explain what the response is when there is a decrease in blood glucose levels.

1) the endocrine system has a longer lasting effect and effects a wider area
2) the islets of lagerhans detect drop in blood sugar levels, alpha cells in pancreas secrete glucagon, glycogen to glucose via glycogenesis and therefore blood sugar levels increase

hope this is ok, havent been over biol 5 revision for about 2 weeks now :frown:

2) Receptors on the alpha-cells in the pancreas detect fall in blood glucose concentration, so secrete more glucagon into the blood. Glucagon binds to specific/complementary receptors on liver cells. Glucagon acts as the primary messenger, the glucagon-receptor complex that forms activates an enzyme that hydrolyses ATP into cAMP. cAMP acts as the secondary messenger, and activates another enzyme that breaks down glycogen stored in liver cells into glucose. Glucose moves from the liver cells from the blood (?diffusion/active transport). Glucagon also stimulated the liver cells to increase the rate of gluconeogenesis from amino acids and fatty acids/glycerol.

What is the role of oestrogen in gene expression?

Why did I get so much neg from this post? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Seems like we've got some overzealous negger's on the thread :rolleyes:
2) Receptors on the alpha-cells in the pancreas detect fall in blood glucose concentration, so secrete more glucagon into the blood. Glucagon binds to specific/complementary receptors on liver cells. Glucagon acts as the primary messenger, the glucagon-receptor complex that forms activates an enzyme that hydrolyses ATP into cAMP. cAMP acts as the secondary messenger, and activates another enzyme that breaks down glycogen stored in liver cells into glucose. Glucose moves from the liver cells from the blood (?diffusion/active transport). Glucagon also stimulated the liver cells to increase the rate of gluconeogenesis from amino acids and fatty acids/glycerol.

What is the role of oestrogen in gene expression?

Why did I get so much neg from this post? :s-smilie:

Haha there isnt even anything negworthy in it, I'll rep you when I can

Seems like we've got some overzealous negger's on the thread :rolleyes:

indeed :lol:
I guess it's about time I finished this course, I've been trying to avoid DNA stoof for ages...eeeek.
Reply 1159
hey, does anyone have any rough predictions on the ISA grade boundries? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending