The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Revision techniques?
Original post by F Hopeful
DSC_0549.jpg

My Oestrous cycle poster :tongue:

Haha, that's awesome!
Love how you have made them into characters!
:smile:
In restriction mapping why do they give you partially digested DNA by restriction enzymes? What does this show?
Reply 1723
Original post by Beth_L_G
It was GCSE yeah. If I were you I'd learn it but only in a small amount of detail, pretty much what the original person said, as you'd be surprised how many times you can link it in
(negative feedback, substances across membranes, hormonal control, you could even mention it in one about disease as damage can cause diabetes insipidus)

I was the original person haha. Thank you though! :smile:
Can anyone give me any advice on the 25 mark essay, i keep getting 12/13 in practise papers, what is the structure? what should i be writing about?
Original post by ianhargreaves1
Can anyone give me any advice on the 25 mark essay, i keep getting 12/13 in practise papers, what is the structure? what should i be writing about?

post one of ur essays
Reply 1726
functions of cell surface membrane any ideas?
Reply 1727
Can anyone explain why the answer to 2c) ii) on the June 2011 paper is 80%

Thanks!
Reply 1728
how does disease cause variation and what is its biological importance>
Reply 1729
Original post by Beth_L_G
Probably not :/
But remember thats all only worth 25% of the paper so if you dont get it all done in those 3 days it's not the end of the world

What really?! Do the legacy papers and latest papers take ages to do?!!! You've scared me now!! :frown: how many past papers have you done and how long did they take you? What if I spent 3 days just on all the old and new past papers? Would that me enough time?
Original post by emah123
What really?! Do the legacy papers and latest papers take ages to do?!!! You've scared me now!! :frown: how many past papers have you done and how long did they take you? What if I spent 3 days just on all the old and new past papers? Would that me enough time?

The best advice is to stop seeking advice like this because we don't know how you study. Stop worrying and open your books. Sorry if it's harsh.
Reply 1731
transfers through ecosystems?
Reply 1732
Original post by master y
The best advice is to stop seeking advice like this because we don't know how you study. Stop worrying and open your books. Sorry if it's harsh.

Yeah it was harsh. I was asking her how long it took her to do all the past papers and how many she has done... Nothing to do with how I study. I always worry its something I have no control over :frown:
~How does insulin bring about an increase in the number of carrier molecules in the cell surface membrane?
Can someone please link me the thread to the essay practice. Thanks
Original post by master y
~How does insulin bring about an increase in the number of carrier molecules in the cell surface membrane?

Before anyone panics this is from my essay revision, not unit 5

Insulin has its own second messenger system, which is different to Glucagon/adrenaline

1. Insulin binds to glycoprotein receptors embedded in the plasma membrane.
2. The hormone-receptor complex activates an Insulin-Receptor Substrate (IRS) inside the cell which acts as the second messenger molecule.
3. The IRS complex stimulates the Golgi apparatus to bud off vesicles containing glucose carrier proteins.
4. The vesicles fuse with the plasma membrane, increasing the number of glucose carriers on the membrane (and increasing the permeability of the membrane to glucose molecules).
5. The IRS complex also activates the glycogen synthase enzymes which stimulate glycogenesis. The IRS complex stimulates one enzyme, which in turn stimulates another. One IRS complex can stimulate many enzymes, due to the cascade effect.
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK

Insulin has its own second messenger system, which is different to Glucagon/adrenaline

2. The hormone-receptor complex activates an Insulin-Receptor Substrate (IRS) inside the cell which acts as the second messenger molecule.
3. The IRS complex stimulates the Golgi apparatus to bud off vesicles containing glucose carrier proteins.
4. The vesicles fuse with the plasma membrane, increasing the number of glucose carriers on the membrane (and increasing the permeability of the membrane to glucose molecules).
5. The IRS complex also activates the glycogen synthase enzymes which stimulate glycogenesis. The IRS complex stimulates one enzyme, which in turn stimulates another. One IRS complex can stimulate many enzymes, due to the cascade effect.

this isnt the same seconday messenger model for glucagon/ adrenaline is it? They just convert ATP to cyclic AMP and activate adenylate cyclase and all of that right? cause this one for insulin seems much more complicated...
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK

Thanks! But just to confirm, we don't need to know this? o_O
Reply 1738
Original post by neelam123h
Can someone please link me the thread to the essay practice. Thanks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2363924&page=2&p=42984704#post42984704

Latest

Trending

Trending