The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by feelinginfinite
I usually condense notes. Recently, (as of starting unit 5) I've tried to type up my notes too. I have the CGP book so hopefully that'll help if I get stuck on PCR techniques/whatever :tongue: The dreaded essay question... Thanks for the tips!

Me neither- I can't remember much at all on the nervous system as I practically taught myself it at GCSE briefly (teachers on maternity leave/ illness etc. meant that the temp teachers struggled to teach us what they were meant to). So I wish we went over section 10 on nerves sooner rather than later :/ I'm sure we'll be fine though!

Ah god sounds like a nightmare! Yea I kinda need to get back into knowledge storage mode for Bio :lol: I like the sound of typing up notes - making powerpoints! That might help me..I'll try it for my chapter 9 revision!
I did the genetics ISA, found it really hard and was expecting low but came out with 46/50 which is an A* on the last ISA last year. I just hope it doesn't get moderated down!

Bio 4 was 53/100 D somehow I was so sure that I did well in it. Going to get my paper back for that to see what went wrong as I really don't have a clue as to what.

I got a solid A for AS last year and really was hoping not to have to retake bio 4, but oh well
Original post by Gulzar
So please tell me that thing about peanalising when memorising mark schemes wasnt true :frown: It just doesnt make sense :s-smilie:

No that's not what I meant. I just meant I got the answer right according to the mark scheme, but wasn't given the mark

Don't worry :tongue:
Reply 163
Original post by Beth_L_G
No that's not what I meant. I just meant I got the answer right according to the mark scheme, but wasn't given the mark

Don't worry :tongue:

Oh right lol i get it XD Sorry just misunderstood and freaked out.
COME ON lets smash this exam this time round :horse:
How is everyone revising for the essay bit?
Don't really know how to go about it - revise all of biol 1/2/4 aswell or just the synoptic bits stated on the specification?
Reply 165
Original post by epicnerd
I did the genetics ISA, found it really hard and was expecting low but came out with 46/50 which is an A* on the last ISA last year. I just hope it doesn't get moderated down!

Bio 4 was 53/100 D somehow I was so sure that I did well in it. Going to get my paper back for that to see what went wrong as I really don't have a clue as to what.

I got a solid A for AS last year and really was hoping not to have to retake bio 4, but oh well

I don't understand, which part of genetic isa did u find difficult??? I think it was straight forward ( although havent received the results yet!)
Me too, I got a B in bio 4, but I'm not going to retake it, Im hoping to score better in bio 5, ( bio 4 is the worst unit ever, I can't even think of retaking it!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kdk
I don't understand, which part of genetic isa did u find difficult??? I think it was straight forward ( although havent received the results yet!)
Me too, I got a B in bio 4, but I'm not going to retake it, Im hoping to score better in bio 5, ( bio 4 is the worst unit ever, I can't even think of retaking it!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure I'm allowed to describe them yet but Q12 and Q18, that's all I'm saying just in case i get in trouble aha
Original post by Mocking_bird
How is everyone revising for the essay bit?
Don't really know how to go about it - revise all of biol 1/2/4 aswell or just the synoptic bits stated on the specification?

I'm unsure on this too :frown: I just said to someone else on another post that my teacher said to treat the 25 mark essay as if you're doing 5 mini markers (as in choose 5 different topics- e.g if on shapes, do it on enzyme shapes, then DNA base shapes etc.) ...

So, as crazy as it sounds, I was going to try and look for a broad "theme" that's relevant to all the other units, but I'm pretty much just going to go over the synoptic stuff- I'm not going over anything like the Hardy Weinberg principle for example since I don't think there's a way that's relevant to a synoptic question :colondollar: If you come up with a genius idea on how to revise then please share it! :tongue:
hey all, it's good to see early engagment with unit 5 :smile:

However I would like to present you all with a question which may beneifit some of the individuals in this thread.

Experiment: rate of photosynthesis (change in wavelength of light) via measuring rate of O2 production.
What stats test do see you fit for this Experiment?

Thanks for your time :biggrin:
Anyone have the mark scheme for the june 2012 exam?
Original post by James A
Anyone have the mark scheme for the june 2012 exam?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

thanks beth, I didn't think it would be on the aqa site now, but it is there haha
So in the 25 mark essay at the end. I believe theres 4 marks avaliable for content outside the specification?

How are you guys planning to learn stuff outside of the specification, as any completely random question could come up right?

Or can you use any type of general knowledge and include it in the question as outside knowledge? even though this general knowledge will likely be low quality scientifically. Anyway if someone could inlighten me that would be useful :smile:
AS biology effect of ph on amylase

Any one doing this isa, need any help? PM me.
Reply 174
Hey guys.

Does anyone have any tips that would be useful for the BIO6 AQA EMPA (A2) Tasks? Do we have to know topics from AS such as transpiration and factors affecting it? Movement of water through roots/up stems? Limiting water loss in plants? Also, in terms of genes and DNA what would be useful to know from AS/A2?

Thank you!

:smile: :five:
Current scores for units Biol 1 = 80(A) Biol 2 = 112(A) Biol 3 = 52(A) Biol 4 = 73(B) Biol 5 = 56(E lol, i'll explain in a second) Biol 6 = 48(A). I did my A2 last year and completely flopped Biol 5, I got my paper back and made a few stupid mistakes but some bits I put exactly what the mark scheme said except I would put something like 'glucose conc in the blood rather than blood glucose conc' and get nothing for a 3 mark question where that was the only difference! I also got screwed over on the essay as I wrote about a lot and covered most of what was on the markscheme but only got 4/16 for content despite getting 3 for breadth of knowledge! Got a remark and it went down! Gave up and decided to do it again this year, need 115 UMS :/
AS biology effect of ph on amylase

Any one doing this isa, need any help? PM me.
Original post by Lil' A
Hey guys.

Does anyone have any tips that would be useful for the BIO6 AQA EMPA (A2) Tasks? Do we have to know topics from AS such as transpiration and factors affecting it? Movement of water through roots/up stems? Limiting water loss in plants? Also, in terms of genes and DNA what would be useful to know from AS/A2?

Thank you!

:smile: :five:

Depends what it is on
Reply 178
Original post by feelinginfinite
I'm unsure on this too :frown: I just said to someone else on another post that my teacher said to treat the 25 mark essay as if you're doing 5 mini markers (as in choose 5 different topics- e.g if on shapes, do it on enzyme shapes, then DNA base shapes etc.) ...

So, as crazy as it sounds, I was going to try and look for a broad "theme" that's relevant to all the other units, but I'm pretty much just going to go over the synoptic stuff- I'm not going over anything like the Hardy Weinberg principle for example since I don't think there's a way that's relevant to a synoptic question :colondollar: If you come up with a genius idea on how to revise then please share it! :tongue:

Do AQA give specific guidelines as to what is synoptic content in the other units?
Original post by erniiee
Do AQA give specific guidelines as to what is synoptic content in the other units?

Not much help but: In the Nelson Thornes book, the very first few pages state that "In addition to all AS material, a knowledge of the following elements of GCSE" should be known, and these are specified in bullet points in each unit 4 (pg 3) and unit 5 (pg 141), so I don't think they've been very specific...

My teacher briefly explained that anything which we classed as "in depth" at AS, we shouldn't need to know for the 25 marker- e.g one year it was on "cycles", so some knowledge of mitosis would be helpful just to briefly go over, but we don't need to know it in depth. And (for our class at least), everything on gas exchange was "in depth" to us, so I'm missing that out I think :confused: And he said the same for anything which doesn't have a theme that could be worth 25 marks (e.g- heart/lungs/courtship behaviour... I'm not sure how this could be included in a 25 mark answer since it's so short, so I'm not sure whether to bother with that)... There's a lot on photosynthesis, antibiotics, DNA related stuff so that'll be what I go over mainly :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending