The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Andy2410
Thanks a lot! Is this the same for a petrol engine as well as a diesel one?

Uh not sure about diesel, my knowledge extends as far as knowing that if its a 4 stroke engine you add a half so I assume it'll be the same for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, please can someone explain why heat engines/reversed heat engines have to operate between a source and a sink to function?
Reply 522
Original post by shysybil.24
Hi, please can someone explain why heat engines/reversed heat engines have to operate between a source and a sink to function?

This better be some applied module and not astrophysics because I have no idea what you're talking about...
Reply 523
helpful
Anyone that's done section A from JUNE 10:
Question 2 a: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA51-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
The mark scheme says 'The neutrons may be lost due to scattering by either the uranium 235 nuclei or the uranium 238 nuclei. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Also, in this paper the mark scheme has its own rounding error?!
Original post by jackerharder
Anyone that's done section A from JUNE 10:
Question 2 a: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA51-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
The mark scheme says 'The neutrons may be lost due to scattering by either the uranium 235 nuclei or the uranium 238 nuclei. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Also, in this paper the mark scheme has its own rounding error?!

Try reading through this, especially the bit under ''Moderation of Fast Neutrons''
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/moder.html
Reply 526
Fellow astrophysics option people: when you draw lens diagrams, do you draw a full convex lens, or do you represent it with a single line? I've seen contradictory information about how we're meant to draw them, and the mark schemes are rarely more helpful than "correct diagram, three marks"
Reply 527
Original post by bugsuper
Fellow astrophysics option people: when you draw lens diagrams, do you draw a full convex lens, or do you represent it with a single line? I've seen contradictory information about how we're meant to draw them, and the mark schemes are rarely more helpful than "correct diagram, three marks"

I think a single line would do, maybe you could draw an arrow pointing to the line and label it as 'convex lens' to ensure you get the mark.
Reply 528
It certainly LOOKS a lot more elegant than a weird irregular lens that I can't really draw properly. So I'll go with that.
Reply 529
It certainly LOOKS a lot more elegant than a weird irregular lens that I can't really draw properly. So I'll go with that.

Indeed. How is unit 5 revision coming along for yourself then? I had my peniultimate exam today, just a week's worth of physics revision left!
Reply 530
Is there anything relevant from the old specification (applied physics and nuclear)? 5 tests really isn't much. Any other good revision sources other than the AQA books and the past papers?
Original post by mrwho
Is there anything relevant from the old specification (applied physics and nuclear)? 5 tests really isn't much. Any other good revision sources other than the AQA books and the past papers?

A great website is sciencemathsmaster (google it), they have packs of about 30 exam style/old spec questions for each topic in Unit 5 for all of the sciences, so many that I can't hope to get through them all! A lot of the questions are the same as one another because they're taken from different years, but this just helps you get good at answering the common questions, I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 532
Original post by amish123
Indeed. How is unit 5 revision coming along for yourself then? I had my peniultimate exam today, just a week's worth of physics revision left!

Not too bad. I really, really want to get around 100UMS in this exam for an A*, so I've been really concentrating on it - but I have four other maths exams of varying difficulty to contend with :frown:

As far as revision resources go, someone posted some great question papers a few pages back. I'd also reccommend you try out the nuclear/astro papers, if you've picked that option. Some of this stuff might be relevant
Just 1 week left now and I still need to learn/go over, half the syllabus.

Do you guys think it's worth reading the book much, or is it better for me to just dive into past papers straight away ? :smile: & learn along the way.

I'm doing the turning points option.

Thanks in advance for any advice !
Reply 534
Original post by laser174572
A great website is sciencemathsmaster (google it), they have packs of about 30 exam style/old spec questions for each topic in Unit 5 for all of the sciences, so many that I can't hope to get through them all! A lot of the questions are the same as one another because they're taken from different years, but this just helps you get good at answering the common questions, I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did I not find these guys before? This is brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 535
Not too bad. I really, really want to get around 100UMS in this exam for an A*, so I've been really concentrating on it - but I have four other maths exams of varying difficulty to contend with :frown:

As far as revision resources go, someone posted some great question papers a few pages back. I'd also reccommend you try out the nuclear/astro papers, if you've picked that option. Some of this stuff might be relevant

You Only need around 100?! What did you get in the ISAs and in unit 4?
Original post by posthumus
Just 1 week left now and I still need to learn/go over, half the syllabus.

Do you guys think it's worth reading the book much, or is it better for me to just dive into past papers straight away ? :smile: & learn along the way.

I'm doing the turning points option.

Thanks in advance for any advice !

I'm doing turning points to so if you have any questions fire away :smile: I think that read over the bits you haven't done relatively quickly, do a couple of past papers, see where you lose marks and go back over those bits, then do another paper, see where you lost marks etc...tbh a lot of the stuff in TP we covered just to a bit less detail at AS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did I not find these guys before? This is brilliant :biggrin:

It is good :biggrin: just watch out, in the turning points packs and chem5 ones I've been doing there have been a couple of questions that aren't on our syllabus any more, but the rest are really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 538

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot - that's great.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing turning points to so if you have any questions fire away :smile: I think that read over the bits you haven't done relatively quickly, do a couple of past papers, see where you lose marks and go back over those bits, then do another paper, see where you lost marks etc...tbh a lot of the stuff in TP we covered just to a bit less detail at AS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

I think I'll have a quick read over turning points tonight, then start some past papers tomorrow ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending