Is £17,000 - £20,000 a year good? Watch

lalalalalalamember
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been asked to apply for a job role for "Video Editor" (that I really want and is something I'm interested in) that is based around 2 hours away from my home and it is £17,000 - £20,000 a year.

Is this a good salary? Is it worth it?

Edit:
I have previous experience before but they were never permanent. So graduating, this is my first opportunity to apply for a permanent role I want to do. Since it is a long way from home it would be necessary for me to move out. Obviously it would be much better if the role is closer (1 hour maximum).
Farid Jalil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If its your first ever job that is pretty nice!! Go for it!! Now!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
t-swiper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its a good starter in life, but I think you should look at your spending and ask yourself if its enough + will i have a little saved up every month for rainy days.
rjm101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Totally depends on the job your applying for does it not? Also it depends whether you are a uni graduate or not. You havent given us much details so we can't say much to be honest.

Do you plan to travel 2 hours each way when you work or do you plan to move closer because I can tell you 2 hour travel journeys will eventually get to you. Depending on your mode of travel it might also eat right into your salary too.
Mutedmirth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Compare it to retail work which is usually no more than 12k if you're a normal worker, than yes, that's a very good starting salary and you can work your way up higher.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You really want to spend 4 hours commuting a day?

The salary is very good for a first job.
MAINE.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
depends on:

where you live - ie. salaries should be higher in london due to higher living costs
what industry/type of job it is
your level of education - up to degree/A levels/GCSE etc

Can you provide any more details?
lalalalalalamember
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MAINE.)
depends on:

where you live - ie. salaries should be higher in london due to higher living costs
what industry/type of job it is
your level of education - up to degree/A levels/GCSE etc

Can you provide any more details?
Creative/film/video industry.

Film, 2:1.
callum.scott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Congratulation for your first permanent job. If you want to build your career with a good salary then you have to struggle. So it shouldn't matter that the way is around 2 hours away from home.. Think like this: It's just 2 hours away.. chill!
Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lalalalalalamember)
I've been asked to apply for a job role (that I really want and is something I'm interested in) that is based around 2 hours away from my home and it is £17,000 - £20,000 a year.

Is this a good salary? Is it worth it?

Edit:
I have previous experience before but they were never permanent. So, since finishing university, this is my first opportunity to apply for a role I want to do. Since it is a long way from home it would be necessary for me to move out. Obviously it would be much better if the role is closer (1 hour maximum).
Sounds good for a first job.

It's actually what I would like to study too It's a good salary. Go for it!

(Original post by Seanm1994)
No, that's an embarrassing salary.

*Cough* Working class *Cough*
You are embarrassing.
rjm101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

That industry is highly competitive so congrats on finding somewhere that is offering you an actual salary! In that industry thats probably about right if not a little better than average as normally you have to start out as a runner on minimum wage.
ed-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Decent starting wage if you can work your way up pretty quickly. If not then it's not great
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on a lot of things but as a rough guide, the average salary in the UK is around £26,500 if I recall correctly.
The average graduate salary is around £22,500.

Obviously I don't know anything about you or the job you are applying to so there is little more I can add.
sharp910sh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its a low salary. What is the field of the job? Engineering? Law?
sharp910sh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oil and gas engineering pays, 30-40k. so the salary is poor.
rjm101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sharp910sh)
Its a low salary. What is the field of the job? Engineering? Law?
It's film so he/she is lucky to even find a job to honest. It's a highly competitive industry.
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sharp910sh)
Oil and gas engineering pays, 30-40k. so the salary is poor.
Nice work if u can get it! But some money is better than no money !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dragonfly07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would be very happy just living on 15k for the rest of my life. That's about double my current pay per year and it would be comfortable as **** (considering I'll never have a family).
rjm101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dragonfly07)
I would be very happy just living on 15k for the rest of my life. That's about double my current pay per year and it would be comfortable as **** (considering I'll never have a family).
Are you a graduate? Also it depends where you live.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a decent starting salary, not great but you don't need great if there are promotion prospects or support and development so you can look elsewhere in a few years.
The commute does sound horrendous though - I've had to deal with an 8.30-5 day with some 6 or 7 finishes, and a 45minute+ commute. Make sure you know what you're in for before you commit to that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (11)
22%
No (39)
78%

Watched Threads