I want to see the Northern Lights as cheap as possible! Watch

EllaBella<3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone

I really want to see the northern lights this year as they'll be hitting a 50yr peak in activity! However, I want to do it for as little as possible! I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to travel from London to above the arctic circle. So far i've come up with a flight from London to Stockholm Skavsta then getting the train to abisko - the total travel cost is around £100 return journey .. I think! Does anybody have any other ideas/experience? I'd love to hear them!
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's pretty good. I was going to suggest a day trip to Lapland but that's a fair few £100 more. It was an incredible experience though if you can afford it.
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Waterstones has it for £5.24, I think that's pretty good.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ights/8458927/
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EllaBella<3)
Hey everyone

I really want to see the northern lights this year as they'll be hitting a 50yr peak in activity! However, I want to do it for as little as possible! I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to travel from London to above the arctic circle. So far i've come up with a flight from London to Stockholm Skavsta then getting the train to abisko - the total travel cost is around £100 return journey .. I think! Does anybody have any other ideas/experience? I'd love to hear them!
It's that sort of thing that'll win - you might want to look at flights with Norwegian from Gatwick to places like Tromsø or Easyjet/Iceland Express to Reykjavik as well. Bear in mind that just because you're there doesn't mean you'll see anything. You could be in Abisko for a week and see nothing. It's not the travel that'll cost you either - accommodation and eating will destroy your budget anywhere in the Nordic region.
Tanners92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I saw the northern lights in Tromso, Norway, we flew to Oslo, which was pretty cheap, but the flights from Oslo to Tromso were double the flights from what we paid to get to Oslo from England.
Norway is not a cheap country at all, we spent 3 nights there, and paid around £60 a night, food wasn't too bad.

You can see them from the Orkney Islands in Scotland at certain times of the year! Check that out, maybe a best option, or an planned excursion! But it is taking a risk, you can never plan if they will 100% happen!

Fingers crossed
jazz4me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Groupon have a deal on at the moment but its only for travel till March I think. From memory it was 3 nights including flights and accomodation for £249 but that may be from a Scottish Airport as I am from Scotland. Check out their website.

You can see the Northern Lights from Aberdeen at certain times of the year but again thats not guaranteed
mark_otbc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EllaBella<3)
Hey everyone

It's not just you who wants to go and see them - I do too!

Anyway, sharing the bit of info I know:-
The further West you go, the lower the northern lights typically go - you're more likely to see them at lower latitudes in Canada, for example, than in Europe. Not that this helps much, except for:
- Flights to Iceland from Stansted in March/October (equinox dates, the dates the aurora are 'most likely') are about £125 return via Easyjet.
- You can stay in a hostel in Iceland (Reykjavik) for under £20 a night.
- Reykjavik is at 64deg N so you stand a good chance of seeing the lights there; if not there are tours which go to the very north of Iceland for something like £50.

That's my plan and the cheapest I could find, anyway. Your Norway idea sounds pretty good though, what time of year is it for?
Stevo112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i hear google images is a pretty cheap way of seeing the northern lights
EllaBella<3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by mark_otbc)
It's not just you who wants to go and see them - I do too!

Anyway, sharing the bit of info I know:-
The further West you go, the lower the northern lights typically go - you're more likely to see them at lower latitudes in Canada, for example, than in Europe. Not that this helps much, except for:
- Flights to Iceland from Stansted in March/October (equinox dates, the dates the aurora are 'most likely') are about £125 return via Easyjet.
- You can stay in a hostel in Iceland (Reykjavik) for under £20 a night.
- Reykjavik is at 64deg N so you stand a good chance of seeing the lights there; if not there are tours which go to the very north of Iceland for something like £50.

That's my plan and the cheapest I could find, anyway. Your Norway idea sounds pretty good though, what time of year is it for?
Hey! Thank you for your response; you've given me some really useful information! Mine was for Sweden, Abisko is supposed to be one of the hotspots but in my research i've also looked in to Iceland; they've got some great youth hostels etc in Reykjavik! I haven't seen flights for such a generous price though, i'll have a look on the website. I was hoping to visit in March!
canyouhelpme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I didn't pay to see them, in fact I was paid to see them. I work at sea. Get a job at sea on a ship that goes north and you should see them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads