The Student Room Group

AQA PHYA4 ~ 13th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenb11
Hi anyone chance someone could explain question 12 to me?? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

Is the answer A? GPE decreases (become more negative) as the comet approaches the source of gravity. The GPE lost by the comet is converted to kinetic energy, hence the increase in kinetic energy :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by posthumus
Is the answer A? GPE decreases (become more negative) as the comet approaches the source of gravity. The GPE lost by the comet is converted to kinetic energy, hence the increase in kinetic energy :smile:

Yeah, it is, thanks! I didnt think about the GPE becoming more negative, hence decreasing. Thankyou :smile:
Original post by laurenb11
Hi anyone chance someone could explain question 12 to me?? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

ok what they are basically trying to say it is following an elliptic orbit (oval shaped orbit) rather than a circular orbit, this means height and speed is changing rather than staying constant throughout the orbit. you should also know that Ek + Ep = constant, therefore if Ek increased that means Ep has to decreases so that constant is fulfilled. Therefore when it is at the minimum distance, it feels the greatest gravitation force because F obeys the inverse square law, so when distance reduces, F increases dramatically, and to stop it from crashing into the sun, velocity would HAVE to increase dramatically, and since EK=12mv2 EK = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 and we agreed that Ek + Ep = constant that means since Ek increases, then Ep decreased, so your answer would be A because they said Ep would increase. hope that clears it up :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 163
can someone explain this question for me please?

Original post by Jack93o
x

mv^2 / r = mg

v^2 / r = g

v= root(rg)

this is the speed you need...

since T = 2pi r / v

You can find the time period :smile:
Original post by Jack93o

so if the object is weightless this means that the centripetal force must equal the gravitational force. therefore mv2r=GMmr2 \frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{GMm}{r^2} do your cancelling out, then rearrange V to get V=GMr V = \sqrt \frac{GM}{r} we also know that v=dt v = \frac{d}{t} and the distance around a whole circle is 2πr 2\pi r so you get v=2πrT v = \frac{2\pi r}{T} , equate the 2 v's and make T the subject, for this question dont bother simplifying and square rooting ... etc but do it for good practice if you want, anyways then when you get the answer, it will be interms of seconds, they want answer interms of hours, so you would have to divide by 3600 (divide by 60 to get to minutes and another 60 to get to hours) and then you get the answer they are looking for which is B :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 166
mv^2 / r = mg

v^2 / r = g

v= root(rg)

this is the speed you need...

since T = 2pi r / v

You can find the time period :smile:

Original post by masryboy94
so if the object is weightless this means that the centripetal force must equal the gravitational force. therefore mv2r=GMmr2 \frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{GMm}{r^2} do your cancelling out, then rearrange V to get V=GMr V = \sqrt \frac{GM}{r} we also know that v=dt v = \frac{d}{t} and the distance around a whole circle is 2πr 2\pi r so you get v=2πrT v = \frac{2\pi r}{T} , equate the 2 v's and make T the subject, for this question dont bother simplifying and square rooting ... etc but do it for good practice if you want, anyways then when you get the answer, it will be interms of seconds, they want answer interms of hours, so you would have to divide by 3600 (divide by 60 to get to minutes and another 60 to get to hours) and then you get the answer they are looking for which is B :biggrin:

centripetal acceleration being equal to 'g' is what I'm a bit confused about

I thought centripetal acceleration is always equal to 'g' at the equator (ground) level. Why does it only equal 'g' when the earth rotates fast enough for objects there to appear weightless?

and what is the centripetal acceleration normally equal to then? would it be less than or more than 'g'?
Original post by Jack93o
centripetal acceleration being equal to 'g' is what I'm a bit confused about

I thought centripetal acceleration is always equal to 'g' at the equator (ground) level. Why does it only equal 'g' when the earth rotates fast enough for objects there to appear weightless?

and what is the centripetal acceleration normally equal to then? would it be less than or more than 'g'?

nono dont get the wrong idea, when it says weightless it doesn't mean it isn't at ground level, but the fact you begin to feel weightless yet touching the ground means that they must equal each other exactly !!
Reply 168
nono dont get the wrong idea, when it says weightless it doesn't mean it isn't at ground level, but the fact you begin to feel weightless yet touching the ground means that they must equal each other exactly !!

yeah I know the question is referring to ground level, what I don't get is, why isn't centripetal acceleration at ground level always equal to 'g' (= 9.81)? I thought it is....

right now i'm sitting here, I'm still experiencing a centripetal acceleration of 'g' due to my weight (mg) at this ground level that I'm at, yet I'm not feeling weightless/free fall

so i don't understand how subbing in g = 9.81 for centripetal acceleration would solve this question
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 169
-SHM
-Transformers
-Magnetic fields
-Gravitational force/field strength

some likely topics
Just to confirm, grav potential is infinity when object is closer than earth's radius right? Looking at the graph, it seems to be so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
magnetic field line is always directed north to south, right?
How do you all approach the 'which of the following cannot be a unit of..' questions? I find there's too many equations to look at etc
Reply 173
Original post by cooldudeman
Just to confirm, grav potential is infinity when object is closer than earth's radius right? Looking at the graph, it seems to be so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i think so as in deep space its zero right? and grav potential is the amount of energy needed to pull a small test mass from deep space to that point?
ok i have a question for all of you, i know the answer to it and know how to do it, but im curious to how everyone answers it:

A discharging capacitor loses 70% of its initial charge, Q0, in 20 seconds.

a) Write down the value of Q/Q0 after 20 seconds.

b) Find the time constant of the capacitor - resistor circuit
ok i have a question for all of you, i know the answer to it and know how to do it, but im curious to how everyone answers it:

A discharging capacitor loses 70% of its initial charge, Q0, in 20 seconds.

a) Write down the value of Q/Q0 after 20 seconds.

b) Find the time constant of the capacitor - resistor circuit

a) 0.3 ??

b) e^-20/RC = 0.7
20/RC = -ln(0.7)
RC = 20/-ln(0.7)
Original post by fuzzybear
magnetic field line is always directed north to south, right?

yep always !!
a) 0.3 ??

b) e^-20/RC = 0.7
20/RC = -ln(0.7)
RC = 20/-ln(0.7)

for part a) are you sure its 0.3 or are you hesitant about it? and your part b) is not correct, you made a small mistake somewhere.
for part a) are you sure its 0.3 or are you hesitant about it? and your part b) is not correct, you made a small mistake somewhere.

Yh I'm quite sure of a) though I think that was an odd question if it's from a past paper... but makes me more convinced since I should have used it in the second part :tongue: should have made it equal to 0.3 not 0.7
Yh I'm quite sure of a) though I think that was an odd question if it's from a past paper... but makes me more convinced since I should have used it in the second part :tongue: should have made it equal to 0.3 not 0.7

ok good, so you obviously know why its 0.3 and 0.7, like you can explain why yh? and lool nope its from the book, but was in an old paper, so it can come up. haha yeh thats right :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending