The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
I didn't do unit 4 :teehee: already did it before and got an A for it!

Nice one, to get in the 100's is respectable in chemistry, you must be happy with that though still?

I find out my unit 5 chem result tomoz, I'm an external candidate so my results get posted home. :colondollar:

Thanks James, I'm sorry to hear about your unit 5 result...You should definitely get a remark/recall! How have you done in other subjects?
Original post by shumen9523
Hey there, :smile:
I2 + 2S2O3^2- --------> S4O6^2- + 2I-
2Cu2+ + 4I- ---------> 2CuI + I2
it's true that 2 moles of S2O3 give 1 mole of I2. However, remember that according to the second equation, 1 mole of I2 is produced from 2 moles of Cu2+. In other words:
2 S2O3 --------------> 1 I2
and 2 Cu2+ -------------> 1 I2
we are not really concerned with the I- ions as it is the I2 that links the two equations together not the I-.
Hence, you can find the numbers of I2 by dividing 0.00331 mol by 2 to get 0.00155 mol. You would then have to multiply this by 2 to get the number of moles of Cu2+ ions in the 25cm^3 . So 0.00155 * 2 = 0.00331. this means the number of moles of S2O3 is the same as the number of moles Cu2+. In the mark scheme, this step isn't mentioned which is why the answer might seem to be confusing at first. Hope this helped.

Thank you so much, I understand now. +rep :biggrin:
Original post by David Tennant
Thanks James, I'm sorry to hear about your unit 5 result...You should definitely get a remark/recall! How have you done in other subjects?

That's ok, well yeah the bit that hurts the most about my chem 5 result is that I did worse than what I scored in june 12, it hurts man.

I actually had in mind to retake unit 2, I got 88 for that back in June 11, so I'm gonna retake that alongside unit 5 chem. I need 15 ums in total to get my A overall, so I'd rather be on the safe side.

Biology was annoying, got two A's im unit 2 and unit 4, however unit 1 was a C and my overall is still at a very high C, so to stay on the safe side, I'll retake unit 1 and unit 5. Doing badly in the coursework last year did not make matters better for me.

:sigh:

But anyways, I'll be with you lot for chem 5, should be interesting!
Original post by Mollymod
I'm only getting better really, through practice and practice, more practice and not being too scared to ask more questions. You're far from pathetic. I really admire anyone trudging through A2 Chemistry, because it is a hard subject. A B is very commendable and it's entirely understandable to get a D and U. Whatever you get, someone has always gotten worse. It sounds like a horrible and silly thing to think, especially as you want to do better for yourself and ultimately nobody else matters in terms of your exams, but the truth is, they do. Boundaries are set on how well everyone else does, and what you're struggling with; chances are, someone else in the country struggles with the same thing too. Difference is, you aren't giving up even though it's easy to, and that's what counts. Unit 1's the foundation, so it's good you've got that solid. Taking units 2 and 4 together will be good for you, and you have a few months yet to get them up :smile: It's hard, so don't feel discouraged. I'm basically the same as you but switched over. Got a D in Unit 1 and now a B in unit 2 so you can do it if you made it to A2 :smile: So what are you on now in total, a D?

It's all a balancing act :s-smilie: George Facer's book is very unnecessary, but the things it does explain, it explains very well, as well as the examiner tips and hints. Try not to read the introductory pages especially in the AS book as it's irrelevant. Look at the practical tips and try to skim over the things you do know, as to have enough time to browse properly over the things you don't know. I didn't spend too much time on Unit 2 organic because organic is my strength. My weakness is inorganic, so I spent a bit of extra time looking at Redox, Titrations, Decomposition of Nitrates and Carbonates and Green Chemistry. Only work when you have enough time, and energy to. Otherwise it'll just go in one ear, out the other. Try a range of things as well. I made Powerpoint slides and put everything about each topic on each slide. It's a bit congested for some, but for me, it worked a treat because I like to see everything at once and condensed.

Yeah, and that can drop you down a hell of a lot because it will always come up. It's just stuff you've got to learn unfortunately. Really dull, and I had a bad teacher for that initially, hence my weakness in inorganic. We were never told what to actually learn in terms of trends, so that really tripped me up the first sitting. I wouldn't have done much better had I known all of that anyway. Yeah, with Unit 5, you should be a lot more confident on Redox eventually :smile: Are you alright on Bond Angles?

Ooh nice about your Unit 6. I got 41/60 at AS which is a high C I think. School doesn't let me retake AS practicals either which is a bit of a bummer, because I could do a bit better this time round. I'd have to do a hell of a lot of practicals though if I retook, as you need all B, C and D skills from AS to submit together apparently. At the moment, I've got 13/14, 11/14 and 10/12 which totals to 34/40 which would be converted to 43/60 so it's a low B. Seeing if I can improve that next week, as a B would be great overall.

Hey thanks for the response ! :smile: your really reassuring me :biggrin: at the moment I've been taking it a bit easy because I feel for unit 4 I wasted too much time. I'll be doing unit 2 & 4 questions and past papers - and learning unit 4 :smile: And well nope :biggrin: funny enough I added up all the UMS I've gained so far and divided by the maximum UMS possible (420) and ended up with 0.6 :smile: (60%) so I'm right on a C :tongue:

I'm fine with bond angles :smile: The thing I hate about chemistry the most... equations ! especially ionic equations. Oh god no :frown: & redox numbers and (IIIIII) stuck in compound names :tongue:

Which practicals have you got left to do ? :smile: If you need help you can inbox me... I hope they go well !
Original post by Warlord
Hey guys. Sat the nightmare jan paper alongisde unit 4, got 92/120, but Im contemplating doing it again with you guys to try and get the A*, so this should be fun :biggrin: If any of you need help, do ask. Im expecting a lot of organic chem judging from what was on the jan paper.

If there is loads of organic I will do some form of dance, it's my favourite part of this topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by posthumus
Hey thanks for the response ! :smile: your really reassuring me :biggrin: at the moment I've been taking it a bit easy because I feel for unit 4 I wasted too much time. I'll be doing unit 2 & 4 questions and past papers - and learning unit 4 :smile: And well nope :biggrin: funny enough I added up all the UMS I've gained so far and divided by the maximum UMS possible (420) and ended up with 0.6 :smile: (60%) so I'm right on a C :tongue:

I'm fine with bond angles :smile: The thing I hate about chemistry the most... equations ! especially ionic equations. Oh god no :frown: & redox numbers and (IIIIII) stuck in compound names :tongue:

Which practicals have you got left to do ? :smile: If you need help you can inbox me... I hope they go well !

No problem :smile: Oh right, I've done that now, out of interest. The maximum UMS should be 480 at this point without unit 5 :P I'm at 68.75% doing 330/480 x 100 gives me a high C :smile: I'm iffy on Ionic Equations too and Redox isn't too bad. I've got Activation Energy, Observation of Complexes and Preparation of Aspirin left.

No problem :smile: Oh right, I've done that now, out of interest. The maximum UMS should be 480 at this point without unit 5 :P I'm at 68.75% doing 330/480 x 100 gives me a high C :smile: I'm iffy on Ionic Equations too and Redox isn't too bad. I've got Activation Energy, Observation of Complexes and Preparation of Aspirin left.

Nope 420 ? Unless you've included your unit 6 lol :biggrin:

And damn ! are they both observation ?

Observation practicals are the only ones we have left to do also... this could explain why we have a practise practical tomorrow - on how to prepare aspirin :tongue:
Nope 420 ? Unless you've included your unit 6 lol :biggrin:

And damn ! are they both observation ?

Observation practicals are the only ones we have left to do also... this could explain why we have a practise practical tomorrow - on how to prepare aspirin :tongue:

I included Unit 6, yes.
Without it, it's 78%, I have 2 more observations, although I don't have to do all of them if I score high in the one tomorrow. So many complex colours to learn!

and the comical expressions on everyone's faces when you have to copy what the teacher's saying, and you can't differentiate between the way they're saying VO2+ and VO..2+ :biggrin:
Hello :smile: I'm finally home and can ask my question :biggrin:
It says:

"1.49g of ethanedioic acid dihydrate, H2C2O4.2H2O, were dissolved in distilled water and made up to 250 cm3 in a graduated flask. 25.0 cm3 of this solution were acidified with dilute sulfuric acid and then titrated at 70 degrees C by 24.75 cm3 of a solution of KMnO4. Calculate the molarity of the KMnO4 (aq)."

I have the answer in front of me and it says the answer is 0.0191 M but I do not understand the working out at all, it's so confusing :frown: if someone could please explain it all to me I would be so grateful :smile:
I included Unit 6, yes.
Without it, it's 78%, I have 2 more observations, although I don't have to do all of them if I score high in the one tomorrow. So many complex colours to learn!

and the comical expressions on everyone's faces when you have to copy what the teacher's saying, and you can't differentiate between the way they're saying VO2+ and VO..2+ :biggrin:

What colours ? :redface:
Is it like preparation and observation right ? I guess it was silly of me to think you just prepare it :redface: since there is a test paper...

& VO2 ? :redface: what is that ??? I haven't got a clue how aspirin is prepared :tongue:

Let me know how it goes ! :wink: & best of luck... hopefully your last practical assessment :smile:
Is it like preparation and observation right ? I guess it was silly of me to think you just prepare it :redface: since there is a test paper...

& VO2 ? :redface: what is that ??? I haven't got a clue how aspirin is prepared :tongue:

Let me know how it goes ! :wink: & best of luck... hopefully your last practical assessment :smile:

Learn the ions responsible for the changes in colour :tongue:

VO2 is a vanadium compound. You see, the spec wants you to realise that vanadium has variable oxidation states. you might be asked some questions which involve redox potentials and how you can go from one vanadium state to another by mixing with another solution.

Asprin, well the exam paper will tell you how to prepare it, your not supposed to know how to start off, unless of course, your dealing with an organic synthesis question, in which case you will be told what chemical you are starting off with!

Hope this helps!

Also, ask more questions if possible.

Warlord and I will be around as well because we are retaking this again :tongue:

The colours of transition metal ions in aqueous solution and what happens when more OH- is added, and NH3 is added, and the complexes formed etc. It's an observation.

The assessed practical tells you how it's prepared :tongue:
Original post by -strawberry-
Hello :smile: I'm finally home and can ask my question :biggrin:
It says:

"1.49g of ethanedioic acid dihydrate, H2C2O4.2H2O, were dissolved in distilled water and made up to 250 cm3 in a graduated flask. 25.0 cm3 of this solution were acidified with dilute sulfuric acid and then titrated at 70 degrees C by 24.75 cm3 of a solution of KMnO4. Calculate the molarity of the KMnO4 (aq)."

I have the answer in front of me and it says the answer is 0.0191 M but I do not understand the working out at all, it's so confusing :frown: if someone could please explain it all to me I would be so grateful :smile:

Hey :smile:
First we should calculate the number of moles of ethanedioic acid used.
The Mr of H2C2O4.2H2O is 126. So to find the no. of moles, we divide the mass by the Mr: 1.49/126 = 0.11825397 moles
Now this is the no. of moles in 250 cm^3 of the solution. Since we only use 25cm^3 in the titration, this means the number of moles used in the titration would only be one tenth the value we calculated above. 0.11825397/ 10 = 0.011825397 moles.
remember the oxidation of ethanedioic and reduction of MnO4- are shown as:
1- C2O4^2- ------> 2CO2 + 2e-
2- MnO4- +8H+ + 5e -------> Mn^2+ + 4H2O
we multiply equation (1) by 5 and equation (2) by 2 so that the electrons on both sides cancel each other out. We get the overall equation of:
2MnO4- + 16H+ + 5C2O4^2- -------> 2Mn^2+ + 8H2O +10 CO2
this means that every 1 mole of MnO4- reacts with 2.5 moles of ethanedioic acid. So, to get the number of moles of MnO4- used we have to divide the no. of moles of the ethandioic acid by 2.5.
0.011825397 / 2.5 = 4.7301587 * 10^-3 moles of MnO4- which reacted.
the volume of MnO4- used is 24.75/ 1000 = 0.02475
conc= mole/ vol = (4.7301587*10^-3)/ (0.02475) = 0.1911175 =
0.191 mol/dm^3
Reply 233
Got 98/120 in unit 1
100/120 in unit 2
60/60 in unit 3
And 90/120 in unit 4

I need to get an A overall so was wondering if anyone knows what I need to get in unit 5 to make the A possible?
I'm really hoping I don't need to retake unit 4 as I think it'll be too many exams to handle in the summer

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Original post by AHarris
Got 98/120 in unit 1
100/120 in unit 2
60/60 in unit 3
And 90/120 in unit 4

I need to get an A overall so was wondering if anyone knows what I need to get in unit 5 to make the A possible?
I'm really hoping I don't need to retake unit 4 as I think it'll be too many exams to handle in the summer

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile: You need 480 UMS in total to get an A, and you currently have 348, or 132 to go with units 5 and 6 to take. If you got 60/60 for U6, you'd only need 72 in U5 to get an A :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by Gnome :)
Hi :smile: You need 480 UMS in total to get an A, and you currently have 348, or 132 to go with units 5 and 6 to take. If you got 60/60 for U6, you'd only need 72 in U5 to get an A :smile:

Thanks so much

I take it you don't think I'd need o retake unit 4 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by AHarris
Thanks so much

I take it you don't think I'd need o retake unit 4 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all- 72UMS is a C or a D I think? You'd have to do significantly worse in your U5 to get worse than that. Just make sure you work hard at getting your U6 as high as possible :smile:
Reply 237
Original post by Gnome :)
Not at all- 72UMS is a C or a D I think? You'd have to do significantly worse in your U5 to get worse than that. Just make sure you work hard at getting your U6 as high as possible :smile:

Yeah I think you're right with the grades

And the sad thing is, is that I did the unit 6 just before the jan exams but still don't get told the exact grade unit the August results

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A
Learn the ions responsible for the changes in colour :tongue:

VO2 is a vanadium compound. You see, the spec wants you to realise that vanadium has variable oxidation states. you might be asked some questions which involve redox potentials and how you can go from one vanadium state to another by mixing with another solution.

Asprin, well the exam paper will tell you how to prepare it, your not supposed to know how to start off, unless of course, your dealing with an organic synthesis question, in which case you will be told what chemical you are starting off with!

Hope this helps!

Also, ask more questions if possible.

Warlord and I will be around as well because we are retaking this again :tongue:

The colours of transition metal ions in aqueous solution and what happens when more OH- is added, and NH3 is added, and the complexes formed etc. It's an observation.

The assessed practical tells you how it's prepared :tongue:

Thanks guys ! :smile: I'd never heard of VO2 before :colondollar: & that seems too complex for what I was expecting from a "preparation" practical, aha :tongue:

Could either of you suggest me some pages I should go through if possible :smile: (preferably George Facer)

Thanks again
Hi. :smile:
Does anyone know if we need to know about lead acid cells, lithium cells and calomel electrodes. Thank you. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending