Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
Boxof Cereal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know where I can find the Jan 2013 paper?
avipsita
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Boxof Cereal)
Does anyone know where I can find the Jan 2013 paper?
Here
Attached files
Bubblezzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by avipsita)
What do you guys think will come up in this paper?
Me thinks a lot of organics, in terms of synthesis, and some redox, which might involve forming your own half-equations, and calculation of Ecell from that, similar to the 4 marker on 2013.
I am also slightly afraid that this time the multiple choice sect A will be harder, since 2013 jan was definitely a step-up I would say from past years, but on the whole not too bad.
In general it will be so much more applied knowledge, reflecting on how unit 4 chem went for me a week back!
Boxof Cereal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by avipsita)
Here
Ahh, thank you so much!
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know what we need to know about seperating funnels? My book is really brief lol. In a mark scheme it says something about mixing an organic solvent and a water and oil mixture, distilling it and then adding anhydrous CaCl2.

My book doesn't mention anything related to this.
bubblegummer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
Does anyone know what we need to know about seperating funnels? My book is really brief lol. In a mark scheme it says something about mixing an organic solvent and a water and oil mixture, distilling it and then adding anhydrous CaCl2.

My book doesn't mention anything related to this.
Basically the separating funnel is used to either
1) separate oil and water OR
2) extract solvent (containing organic product)

To separate oil and water firstly we need to mix them together then pour it in the separating funnel. 2 layers are formed. The top layer will be the oil and water(denser) at the bottom. Allow water to flow out of the separating funnel, leaving only oil inside the funnel.

For solvent extraction we want to separate the organic product (iodine for example) from an aqueous solution (iodine+water+imputrities). A suitable solvent such as ether is used to dissolve the iodine. It is non-polar so water will no dissolve in it.
-Mix all of them in a separating funnel, and two layers will be formed. Upper layer contains ether and iodine whereas lower layer contains water and impurities.
-Allow them to flow and collect the ether layer.
-Repeat the extraction using fresh ether to extract any remaining organic product.
- Dry using anhydrous calcium chloride
- Distill to get pure organic product

I guess that's all we need to know. Hope this helps
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bubblegummer)
Basically the separating funnel is used to either
1) separate oil and water OR
2) extract solvent (containing organic product)

To separate oil and water firstly we need to mix them together then pour it in the separating funnel. 2 layers are formed. The top layer will be the oil and water(denser) at the bottom. Allow water to flow out of the separating funnel, leaving only oil inside the funnel.

For solvent extraction we want to separate the organic product (iodine for example) from an aqueous solution (iodine+water+imputrities). A suitable solvent such as ether is used to dissolve the iodine. It is non-polar so water will no dissolve in it.
-Mix all of them in a separating funnel, and two layers will be formed. Upper layer contains ether and iodine whereas lower layer contains water and impurities.
-Allow them to flow and collect the ether layer.
-Repeat the extraction using fresh ether to extract any remaining organic product.
- Dry using anhydrous calcium chloride
- Distill to get pure organic product

I guess that's all we need to know. Hope this helps
thank you so much so does the anhydrous calcium chloride remove the ether too?
SKK94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How many ways are there to increase carbon chain length?
SKK94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do we need to know the equations for the ethanol fuel used in breathalysers?
paddyroddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
anyone know the difference between [Cr(OH)4]- & [Cr(OH)6]3- ? looks like they both exist but what are colours? why does the [Cr(OH)4]- exist?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SKK94)
Do we need to know the equations for the ethanol fuel used in breathalysers?
Don't think it's necessary at all thought it's good to know what is getting oxidized and reduced...

(Original post by paddyroddy)
anyone know the difference between [Cr(OH)4]- & [Cr(OH)6]3- ? looks like they both exist but what are colours? why does the [Cr(OH)4]- exist?
More ligands so I suspect great splitting... therefore the colour would darken
felicity95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi please can someone help me with the following part of the specification:

The reaction of amines with ethanoyl chloride and halogenoalkanes to make paracetamol. Im a bit confused thanks
SKK94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
Don't think it's necessary at all thought it's good to know what is getting oxidized and reduced.
True, thanks.

Do we have to know the stuff on chromium(II), copper(I) complexes, and the experiment on strength of ligands? (in the george facer book) - haha, not sure if I asked this before or not.
MustaphaMond
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do people think will definitely come up?

Perhaps a question on photochromic glasses or things like synthesis of chromium(II)ethanoate as it has never come up yet.
MustaphaMond
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My teacher said something about a long question on how to get from a benzene ring all the way to an azo compound.
So first nitrate, then reduce, then do the whole azo shebang etc etc..
Polish master
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SKK94)
How many ways are there to increase carbon chain length?
I know necluophilic addition is the main one but also friedel crafts add carbons on in their processes
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SKK94)
True, thanks.

Do we have to know the stuff on chromium(II), copper(I) complexes, and the experiment on strength of ligands? (in the george facer book) - haha, not sure if I asked this before or not.
Honestly not sure... but I would think not I did past papers yesterday and there's too much I don't know...

Tomorrow evening will be intense
flower123456
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lordmackery)
My teacher said something about a long question on how to get from a benzene ring all the way to an azo compound.
So first nitrate, then reduce, then do the whole azo shebang etc etc..
Is that what they think might come up?
felicity95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi im really desperate to know the answer to this as I have a lot to cover so if anyone could help me id really appreciate it. The reaction of amines with ethanoyl chloride and halogenoalkanes to make paracetamol. Im a bit confused about the reactions. Thanks for any help.
SKK94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
Honestly not sure... but I would think not I did past papers yesterday and there's too much I don't know...

Tomorrow evening will be intense
Same I keep getting stuck on many questions; feels like all my revision was in vain.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (28)
20.9%
Unconditional if firmed (7)
5.22%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.75%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (2)
1.49%
No unconditional offers (96)
71.64%

Watched Threads