glasses
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey guys ive just been really confused about what to do as a career in terms of pay and job availability. I enjoy both civil engineering and perhaps becoming a clinical cytogeneticist, however in the terms mentioned above which is more appealing?
Thanks guys
Billton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by glasses)
hey guys ive just been really confused about what to do as a career in terms of pay and job availability. I enjoy both civil engineering and perhaps becoming a clinical cytogeneticist, however in the terms mentioned above which is more appealing?
Thanks guys
My mum works in cytogenetics if you have any specific questions :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
glasses
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Billton)
My mum works in cytogenetics if you have any specific questions :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for offering!!
I would like to know how easy/difficult it was for her to find jobs in the field, and also how the salary is like?
Billton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by glasses)
Thank you for offering!!
I would like to know how easy/difficult it was for her to find jobs in the field, and also how the salary is like?
Well it's a long story, so apologies in advance!
My Mum went to college to study medical laboratory sciences, but dropped out after finding out she was pregnant. Whilst at college she went on many placements to various laboratories, observed autopsies, worked in a morgue... basically had a crackin' CV!
Anyway she had 4 children and worked as a TA at the primary school we all went to, and when my youngest sister reached year 6, she started applying for laboratory jobs. She applied to St. Mary's Hospital and was surrounded by Biology graduates with Masters in genetics and she felt like just going home, but she attended the interview and they were really impressed with a) her work experience and b) her desire to come back to working within the field.
She started off on about £12K a year (I think!) as a technician, but now she works over the cyto, bloods and cell bank departments and trains up new scientists. She also assists the senior scientists with the slide analysis. Now she's on just under £19K per year.
She was offered the chance to do day release to Manchester University on a foundation degree, and one of her colleagues took that chance, but my Mum was very happy in her position and therefore turned down the offer.
The senior scientists are on £30K plus, but the demand for those jobs is insane. Everyone has PhDs and no work experience because it's so impossible to arrange now. Especially in cyto because of patient confidentiality.
She absolutely loves it though. I used to go in on a Sunday (they work on a Sunday rota, going in for about 2 hours to prepare the samples for Monday morning and to incubate various mediums ready for slide making) with her and watch but we're not allowed to anymore! It's a very technical job and she certainly can't do it if she's tired or irritable or a little hungover.

Hope this helps?
Best wishes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads