MATLAB tutorials and freeware equivalent? Watch

SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing engineering mathematics coursework, and it is to be done mostly on MATLAB. Unfortunately, despite not understanding the questions in plain English to begin with, I understand the MATLAB language even less.

I'm wondering if anyone has used a particularly good resource to learn MATLAB from a basic level up to undergraduate level or beyond. The problem in my tutorials is that they would essentially say "type this" and "type that", but they never told us fundamentally what the code meant. Ideally from the basic "this is how you make a project", "this is how you add 2+3", up to matrices, complex numbers, etc.

For instance, in my maths coursework, we are do type the following (to get a random value to make our coursework unique):

randn(’state’,sum(100*clock) );
m = 30 + 5*abs(randn(1,1))

But it doesn't explain what this actually does and I struggle to use a concept without understanding what it means. I can guess, but it's tricky to do advanced equations when I don't understand what I'm typing. Sometimes it will have extra numbers which appear to do nothing in the equation, but because I don't understand the code they've given us, I really can't work it out for myself... It's like a monkey at a typewriter.

So, any good resources? Video guides are always good too. I am forced to use FreeMat as they will not provide Matlab to student computers... I have heard that it's a good equivalent, but any better suggestions would also be appreciated.

Cheers
claret_n_blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just Google like "An introduction to Matlab" or "Matlab for beginners" or something like that and you'll find tons of good books and websites and stuff that teach you from basically zero knowledge on Matlab.

I did this when I was doing my project using Matlab. I'd never even opened the program before and I need to create all these epidemic models and so I think what you're doing with the basics bit is really good as if you understand the bones of Matlab, you can apply this to your more complex engineering stuff.

Also, don't forget theres a "help" (or something like that) command in Matlab. Any problems, just type "help COMMAND" and it will tell you about the command that you've typed in, i.e "help randn" will tell you all about the command "randn".
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'll probably raid the library at some point tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone found a particular resource useful. I've used books to learn coding in the past, and some were a bit rubbish to follow.

Was there a particular book that you bought for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads