Somervilles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hello
I have read numerous threads about actuarial science and have come to the conclusion that the top 5 universities to go to are; Cass, LSE, Herriot Watt, Warwick and Queens Belfast.
Is this a correct assumption and if not what alterations would you make.
Alex Pattinson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Somervilles)
hello
I have read numerous threads about actuarial science and have come to the conclusion that the top 5 universities to go to are; Cass, LSE, Herriot Watt, Warwick and Queens Belfast.
Is this a correct assumption and if not what alterations would you make.
Hi . Are you applying for actuarial science?
Tokyoround
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Kent is up there with Cass and Heriott-Watt. Very good Actuarial Science and Financial Maths team.
Somervilles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex Pattinson)
Hi . Are you applying for actuarial science?
I plan to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somervilles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tokyoround)
Kent is up there with Cass and Heriott-Watt. Very good Actuarial Science and Financial Maths team.
I live in NI so for me QUB has to be up there then the other 4 I am unsure about. Cost, ability to come home during holidays and the general experience are my basic criteria, so I'm still unsure but yeah I was thinking of it also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tokyoround
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live in NI so for me QUB has to be up there then the other 4 I am unsure about. Cost, ability to come home during holidays and the general experience are my basic criteria, so I'm still unsure but yeah I was thinking of it also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok for you Herriott-Watt and QUB should definitely be high on your priority list. HW is excellent but a lot of people from the south of England are put off from going there due to the distance.
Somervilles
Rep:
?
Ah ok for you Herriott-Watt and QUB should definitely be high on your priority list. HW is excellent but a lot of people from the south of England are put off from going there due to the distance.
Is there much of a difference in the job prospects between the likes of HW and QUB compared to the likes of Warwick, Cass and LSE? That is the main reason I am contemplating that extra expense.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tokyoround
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is there much of a difference in the job prospects between the likes of HW and QUB compared to the likes of Warwick, Cass and LSE? That is the main reason I am contemplating that extra expense.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily, the main point of doing an actuarial science degree at one of these places is for the exemptions. Pass and gain exemptions and you will be fine.

Kent and London unis may give you more exposure to potential employers however, HW is one of the oldest Actuarial science departments in the country (if not the world), and will have a rich history of alumni. I do not know much about QUB to be honest so I do not want to misinform you.
Somervilles
Rep:
?
Not necessarily, the main point of doing an actuarial science degree at one of these places is for the exemptions. Pass and gain exemptions and you will be fine.

Kent and London unis may give you more exposure to potential employers however, HW is one of the oldest Actuarial science departments in the country (if not the world), and will have a rich history of alumni. I do not know much about QUB to be honest so I do not want to misinform you.
Cheers for the replays if you were in my situation what would you do? I just want to go o London for the potential employment prospects but don't want to pay as much for the same degree I can get at QUB. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Karma.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've applied for 2 Actuarial Science courses out of the 5 options you get. I applied at LSE and Kent. Obviously when you're looking for courses, you need to be looking at how many exemptions each uni give because that will benefit you in terms of the number of exams you have to take.
I found that Kent give the most which is why I applied as the department for Actuarial is pretty good.
The highest dropout rate for Actuarial Science is at LSE though ... BIG competition!

Hope that helps.
Somervilles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karma.)
I've applied for 2 Actuarial Science courses out of the 5 options you get. I applied at LSE and Kent. Obviously when you're looking for courses, you need to be looking at how many exemptions each uni give because that will benefit you in terms of the number of exams you have to take.
I found that Kent give the most which is why I applied as the department for Actuarial is pretty good.
The highest dropout rate for Actuarial Science is at LSE though ... BIG competition!

Hope that helps.
Yeah I just want to know wether or not the extra cost is worth it as the likes of LSE and Kent have such a prestigious name and it would be of great benefit to get a degree from them. Yeah the likes of LSE and Kent would have such competition that I doubt I'd get in. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tokyoround
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheers for the replays if you were in my situation what would you do? I just want to go o London for the potential employment prospects but don't want to pay as much for the same degree I can get at QUB. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would probably go to HW if I were you, not too far from home and excellent education + prospects. If I were me and got to do it all over again, i'd choose Cass
Somervilles
Rep:
?
I would probably go to HW if I were you, not too far from home and excellent education + prospects. If I were me and got to do it all over again, i'd choose Cass
Yeah it sounds very good, but as you say Cass has the name :P don't have to choose till i apply for 2014 start, so plenty of time to look at both and check out both Unis in person Thanks for your help Out of curiosity where did you go and was it actuarial science that you studied?
Tokyoround
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah it sounds very good, but as you say Cass has the name :P don't have to choose till i apply for 2014 start, so plenty of time to look at both and check out both Unis in person Thanks for your help Out of curiosity where did you go and was it actuarial science that you studied?
I studied at Kent. There isn't much difference, I just wish I stayed in the city and studied at Cass as I didn't enjoy being at a campus uni as much as I thought I would. Definitely try and visit them if possible, it doesn't matter too much where you study tbh so long as you get the exemptions.
Somervilles
Rep:
?
Would you recommend Kent or not then? I seriously hope to visit both if not more possible Universities before i finally have to apply next year as i would like a fair idea of what it is like before going there.

On another unrelated note would it be a problem that at GCSE and currently at A-Level i have neither, economics or accountancy or business studies but i do further maths. I also have contemplated self teaching economics or accountancy to compensate as from an overview it seems achievable. Too much?
nessa76
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm studying for a Bsc (hons) mathematics and statistics. I'd really like to consider myself being a actuarist one day.

Do you know if ones not exempt from exams, will one have lessons/revisions before taking the exam(s)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.93%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.82%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (80)
34.63%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise