Ateo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
First 5 questions, please mention if any answers are wrong.

Name:  GEDC0419.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  136.7 KB
Name:  GEDC0408.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  157.4 KB
Name:  GEDC0409.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  150.9 KB
Name:  GEDC0420.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  136.3 KB
Name:  GEDC0411.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  152.5 KB

6-8

Name:  GEDC0422.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  GEDC0423.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  GEDC0424.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  91.0 KB

9 (Data Analysis)

Name:  GEDC0426.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  191.5 KB
Name:  GEDC0427.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  137.4 KB
xDanny 117
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looking good but for the damping question part (II) I mentioned that the amplitude would gradually decrease for light damping but will still have the same period. Heavy damping = will not oscillate. They're looking for something more for the 2nd mark I think.
Ateo
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDanny 117)
Looking good but for the damping question part (II) I mentioned that the amplitude would gradually decrease for light damping but will still have the same period. Heavy damping = will not oscillate. They're looking for something more for the 2nd mark I think.
Yes I agree. I wrote down more for that question in the exam but couldn't remember it. I wonder if there is a maximum period for damping. Say for example if the system was oscillated in a liquid of high viscosity.
Ateo
Rep:
?
Questions 6-8 are there. I will try to put up 9 before I go to sleep.
BLUERUN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks , this has helped
Ateo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BLUERUN)
Thanks , this has helped
Not a problem I hope the paper is scaled a lot. I didn't do too well because I rushed it.
BLUERUN
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
same here i think I've messed up the data analysis question and a couple of the earlier question, there really wasn't enough time to complete the paper and look over some questions. I rushed it and still didn't have anytime at the end
LaydurrDude
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eeeeekkk, looking at this now makes me worry that I've done all of the data analysis wrong! Died a little more inside

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've lost several marks for the data analysis - I ****ed up my graph to start with.

I'll have a look through your answers now.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've lost several marks for the data analysis - I ****ed up my graph to start with.

Think I got around 76/90 - really pissed with myself. Lost ~7/8 marks in the data response due to the graph problem. Do you know whether they do much error carried forward marking for the questions following the graph?

I'm hoping scaling will be high. In June 2010 - it was arund 74/75 for 111UMS. Personally, I thought that was harder than 2010.
xDanny 117
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CD315)

Think I got around 76/90 - really pissed with myself. Lost ~7/8 marks in the data response due to the graph problem. Do you know whether they do much error carried forward marking for the questions following the graph?

I'm hoping scaling will be high. In June 2010 - it was arund 74/75 for 111UMS. Personally, I thought that was harder than 2010.
74/75? Do you mean 74/90? That sounds unbelievably low!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
74/75? Do you mean 74/90? That sounds unbelievably low!
Apologies - I meant "74 or 75 out of 90" ha.

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...el%20Units.pdf

Look at that - it was 61/90 for an A, 67/90 for an A* - so I'm assuming it was 74 or so for 100%.
xDanny 117
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CD315)
Apologies - I meant "74 or 75 out of 90" ha.

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...el%20Units.pdf

Look at that - it was 61/90 for an A, 67/90 for an A* - so I'm assuming it was 74 or so for 100%.
Well there's hope for us all yet! Personally I see myself in the high 60's out of 90. You don't happen to have the 2011 raw to UMS or know where it can be found?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well there's hope for us all yet! Personally I see myself in the high 60's out of 90. You don't happen to have the 2011 raw to UMS or know where it can be found?
No - they only published the 2010 ones because it was the first year of the A*. They don't publish them every year like other exam boards do.

It's annoying, really. But I definitely think ours will be scaled similar to 2010.
Zappaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Couldnt do the specific heat capacity question, and for some reason couldnt do the SHM calculations(seriously frustrating, must have used wrong values) or the final question of the paper. But your values for most question agreed with mine. Will probably lose a few marks somewhere for the explaining questions. For the damping question though for second mark you needed something extra, such as amplitude of oscilation decreases 'with time' or if crit damped it stops oscillating and returns to equilibrium. Meh. Will probably need to repeat if I want an A*, but shouldnt do really badly, thankyou! (and good luck) Hopefully it will be scaled a little, as most were complaining about time and it being difficult! I didnt really struggle with time though.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zappaz)
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Couldnt do the specific heat capacity question, and for some reason couldnt do the SHM calculations(seriously frustrating, must have used wrong values) or the final question of the paper. But your values for most question agreed with mine. Will probably lose a few marks somewhere for the explaining questions. For the damping question though for second mark you needed something extra, such as amplitude of oscilation decreases 'with time' or if crit damped it stops oscillating and returns to equilibrium. Meh. Will probably need to repeat if I want an A*, but shouldnt do really badly, thankyou! (and good luck) Hopefully it will be scaled a little, as most were complaining about time and it being difficult! I didnt really struggle with time though.
It will be scaled more than a little
Ateo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CD315)
It will be scaled more than a little
Confident for C3? I'm finishing the papers in 40-45 minutes but this might increase because I suspect recent papers will be harder. Do you know of any good resources for practice. I'm thinking about doing some AEA questions.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ateo)
Confident for C3? I'm finishing the papers in 40-45 minutes but this might increase because I suspect recent papers will be harder. Do you know of any good resources for practice. I'm thinking about doing some AEA questions.
Yeah, C3 will be really easy. I'm getting papers finished in 20 minutes..
Ateo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CD315)
Yeah, C3 will be really easy. I'm getting papers finished in 20 minutes..
Do you think they take marks off for not stating obvious things but for which there are marks in the mark schemes?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ateo)
Do you think they take marks off for not stating obvious things but for which there are marks in the mark schemes?
I have never been sure of things like that, so I state the obvious anyway. I literally write everything down in a maths exam (and it has worked).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads