Playing team sports (football) and nerves! help! Watch

thejmanz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When i play football on a serious level even say 5 a side league etc i get overcome by crippling nerves most often. It really depends on who my teammates are funnily.

Thing is I am amazing at football but when I get these nerves i hide and dont want the ball and just do simple passes.

What makes me nervous funnily is playing with good players also, when i play with poorer players and know im the best on the team then i dont get as nervous and demand to get the ball all the time. When I play with other good players I always feel scared in case i make mistake or lose ball and they wont want to pass to me again etc.

Also im a very greedy player and like to do big dribbles etc so when i play with other good players if i do this and lose ball they get mad and i lose confidence. If i play with players not as good as me then if i lose ball this time next time i score goal etc,they dont care i dont care etc...

Anyway i notice either a small drink of alcohol or smoke a little big of the green can make me less nervous.

Cause i stop caring about what others think or caring if i make mistakes.

Other players often make mistakes but they get on with it if i make mistake i just start to hide etc.

any tips
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just imagine all the other players naked.
thejmanz
Rep:
?
lik emy styke of play is attakcing, dribbling and shooting and flair but sometimes i get so nervous i just play like a defender and sit back and play passes and play it safe.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to understand how to play as a team. It sounds like you have the basic skillset but you're not a very good football player because you don't understand how to work as a unit.

The reason you hang back with good players is you realise you can't carry the game. You need learn when it's correct to push yourself and when to pass, when you call in your skill to overcome another player/get into a good position as opposed to passing to a teammate. When you learn when to make the correct decisions and that football isn't just about how well you can kick a ball you nerves will dissapear as your confidence increases. You won't be worried about pissing off other good players because you'll be making the correct choices and you'll be a much better asset to the team.

I've wanted what people would typically call "average players" on my team rather than "good players" because ultimately the "average players" may not have the ball skill but they have their head in the game and understand when to make plays, good positioning and when to pass/shoot/push. They may mess up a bit more and that is frustrating but it's much easier to let somebodies lack of skill slide rather than them being greedy and trying to score all the time but ultimately losing us the match due to foolhardy plays.

Essentially you need to learn how to play football, not just how to play with a football.
McHumpy92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Generally I find if opponents are crap i perform well because I relax and no I will win....if opponents are a lot better I relax because I have nothing to lose.......now when opponents are about equal is when it gets interesting, I definitely feel more nervous but it doesn't always effect me negatively.....mainly it doesn't.

Some people raise their game under pressure, some people crumble. Being arrogant or finding God would probably help(same thing really).
feenicks89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thejmanz)
When i play football on a serious level even say 5 a side league etc i get overcome by crippling nerves most often. It really depends on who my teammates are funnily.

Thing is I am amazing at football but when I get these nerves i hide and dont want the ball and just do simple passes.

What makes me nervous funnily is playing with good players also, when i play with poorer players and know im the best on the team then i dont get as nervous and demand to get the ball all the time. When I play with other good players I always feel scared in case i make mistake or lose ball and they wont want to pass to me again etc.

Also im a very greedy player and like to do big dribbles etc so when i play with other good players if i do this and lose ball they get mad and i lose confidence. If i play with players not as good as me then if i lose ball this time next time i score goal etc,they dont care i dont care etc...

Anyway i notice either a small drink of alcohol or smoke a little big of the green can make me less nervous.

Cause i stop caring about what others think or caring if i make mistakes.

Other players often make mistakes but they get on with it if i make mistake i just start to hide etc.

any tips
you might be able to get something from the GP if you explain. "lorazepram" is pretty good for nerves , its much better and safer for you than drinking Alcohol or smoking weed , plus they cant exactly help your coordination skills.

I used to get nervous around some social situations , and a course on anti anxiety helps to get over that first hurdle then its eventually fine without it.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't use drugs to calm yourself down in a sports setting, medicinal or otherwise.

If you want to be less nervous, get better at football. It doesn't matter if you have the skills, if you can't play in a team, then you're not good at football.

Work on your skills, fitness and team work. Your confidence will draw from your level of play. You don't need to have confidence in yourself, just your skills.
thejmanz
Rep:
?
(Original post by RollerBall)
You need to understand how to play as a team. It sounds like you have the basic skillset but you're not a very good football player because you don't understand how to work as a unit.

The reason you hang back with good players is you realise you can't carry the game. You need learn when it's correct to push yourself and when to pass, when you call in your skill to overcome another player/get into a good position as opposed to passing to a teammate. When you learn when to make the correct decisions and that football isn't just about how well you can kick a ball you nerves will dissapear as your confidence increases. You won't be worried about pissing off other good players because you'll be making the correct choices and you'll be a much better asset to the team.

I've wanted what people would typically call "average players" on my team rather than "good players" because ultimately the "average players" may not have the ball skill but they have their head in the game and understand when to make plays, good positioning and when to pass/shoot/push. They may mess up a bit more and that is frustrating but it's much easier to let somebodies lack of skill slide rather than them being greedy and trying to score all the time but ultimately losing us the match due to foolhardy plays.

Essentially you need to learn how to play football, not just how to play with a football.
really great points are u a proffesional lol...Yeh thats so true i am good with a football and good at indivudal sports liek badminton golf etc but when it comes to team sports i guess i am inconsistent or not so good because i a not good at interacting well with teammates and prefer to do my own thing. thats why i dotn even play 11-a-side and wouldnt. I think its my perosnailty though irl introverted, social issues etc so when i play football its the same person even though i have good skills im still kinda introverted unsociable guy who dislikes crowds and that doesnt change on the park despite my skill level with the ball at my feet.

(Original post by McHumpy92)
Generally I find if opponents are crap i perform well because I relax and no I will win....if opponents are a lot better I relax because I have nothing to lose.......now when opponents are about equal is when it gets interesting, I definitely feel more nervous but it doesn't always effect me negatively.....mainly it doesn't.

Same here lol

(Original post by feenicks89)
you might be able to get something from the GP if you explain. "lorazepram" is pretty good for nerves , its much better and safer for you than drinking Alcohol or smoking weed , plus they cant exactly help your coordination skills.

I used to get nervous around some social situations , and a course on anti anxiety helps to get over that first hurdle then its eventually fine without it.

(Original post by Kagutsuchi)
Don't use drugs to calm yourself down in a sports setting, medicinal or otherwise.

If you want to be less nervous, get better at football. It doesn't matter if you have the skills, if you can't play in a team, then you're not good at football.

Work on your skills, fitness and team work. Your confidence will draw from your level of play. You don't need to have confidence in yourself, just your skills.
MM drugs might work?

I am confident in my basic skills, shooting, passing,, dribble skills, but my awareness and decision making is poor i guess also my confidence can decrease/increase based on reactions from my teammates easily.

Wehn i play in team i feel the pressure/weight of having to do well and not mess up for my teammates, thats annoying
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thejmanz)
MM drugs might work?

I am confident in my basic skills, shooting, passing,, dribble skills, but my awareness and decision making is poor i guess also my confidence can decrease/increase based on reactions from my teammates easily.

Wehn i play in team i feel the pressure/weight of having to do well and not mess up for my teammates, thats annoying
Do not use drugs to increase your performance, period.

Yes, part of what makes football hard to play is the pressure of working in a team. It's well enough if someone is amazing, if that person doesn't adapt with the team they are playing in then the team work will suffer and they will lose.

Practise with your team. Strategise moves and techniques with them. You'll find you'll be able to play more fluently if you practise together (which you should be doing already).
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Football is expression. If you overthink it things go wrong. It's best played on instinct. If you're a team player your team mates will pick up the slack when you mess up (eg they'll remember how you track back, get other players in the game etc), but if you're the selfish type that's when it creates tension and ultimately pressure on yourself.

You sound like a ball hogger. Indoor football isn't about dribbling or flair (though they do feature), it's about keeping the ball moving fast. Guys who are technically good (good first touch passing/shooting, ability to do 1-2's, read the game/track their man) usually do the best. Dribblers are usually rubbish cos they slow the game down and are easy to defend against (there isn't much ground to cover in 5 a side); their mindset is usually to go for glory themselves , even if they only succeed 1 in 8 times. You can tear teams apart with one and two touch passing. I always pick guys with good passing ability/touch on indoor football. They are the hardest to mark (think Xavi over the years at Barcelona, simplicity is the most effective football).
diggy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RollerBall)

This.
Whenever I play team sports I pick the average guys because they know how to play as a team compared to the guy that thinks he's Ronaldo and hogs the ball

I think you just need to learn how to play in a team OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
thejmanz
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
Football is expression. If you overthink it things go wrong. It's best played on instinct. If you're a team player your team mates will pick up the slack when you mess up (eg they'll remember how you track back, get other players in the game etc), but if you're the selfish type that's when it creates tension and ultimately pressure on yourself.

You sound like a ball hogger. Indoor football isn't about dribbling or flair (though they do feature), it's about keeping the ball moving fast. Guys who are technically good (good first touch passing/shooting, ability to do 1-2's, read the game/track their man) usually do the best. Dribblers are usually rubbish cos they slow the game down and are easy to defend against (there isn't much ground to cover in 5 a side); their mindset is usually to go for glory themselves , even if they only succeed 1 in 8 times. You can tear teams apart with one and two touch passing. I always pick guys with good passing ability/touch on indoor football. They are the hardest to mark (think Xavi over the years at Barcelona, simplicity is the most effective football).
yeh i guess that is better in that way 1-2s etc for 5 a side.

But on the other hand with good dribble skills u can beat 1-2 players and be through on goal with a 20 yard run and an easy goal so in that respect being good at beating players and fast dribbler can be effective also.

Ive never really played much 11s so not sure how/why dribblers would be better then? maybe there is more space to run into and in behind defenses etc?

Thing is I will admit i enjoy doing tricks and beating players and playing solo BUT i am aware that my teammates wont want a guy like that. BUt for me that is enjoyable. If i lose the ball though I get stick if i score ill get stick still for never passing lol its lose lose.

Only time its really effective is when a player gets sin bined and we are a man down they just give the ball to me and I dribble for 5 minutes until the player comes back on again and we are even lol
thejmanz
Rep:
?
ill be honest sometimes i just become physically sick with nerves when playing or before playing FML.

Only when i play kick about or friendlies do i play with fun and no stress, its so annoying. I cant enjoy playing due to nerves but i love playing football but it makes me not even want to play.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed