Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What topics do you study in gcse history and geography

ReputationRep:
    I do GCSE history, with Edexcel, and we study the Vietnam War, life in Germany 1918-1945, Medicine and Treatment, and the Transformation of Surgery. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what the school decides. There are 6 topics for each exam paper, but you only do 3 (may vary on exam board, ask your teacher)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what your school decide to take, theirs History A and History B, I did History B.......
    History B features:
    1a/b/c
    a:Medicine and Treatment
    b:Crime and Punishment
    c:The changing nature of warfare
    2a/b/c
    a:Transformation of British society 1815-1851
    b:American West 1840-1895
    c:Life in Germany 1919-1945
    3a/b/c:
    a:Transformation of surgery 1845-1918
    b:Protest,law and order in the 20th century
    c:The impact of war in Britain
    Theirs also a coursework piece on Victrian Britain.
    each unit counts for 25% of your grade...
    Its really interesting but hardwork, Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    A includes
    Peacekeeping in Europe - League of Nations
    Hitlers rise to power
    Cold War

Second paper:
    Vietnam
    Hitlers Germany
    Weimar Republic

First paper tomorrow, wish me luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do Edexcel Geography and I really enjoy it you get 3 exams, 1 on physical geography (volcanoes, earth quakes, climate change e.t.c), 1 on human geography (population management, resource management e.t.c) and 1 combining both. You also get a field trip day then have to do coursework about that but its a good laugh- just spent the day eating lloooaaadddsss of ice-cream and plodging through a river every now and then

ReputationRep:
    I did both history and geography at GCSE (I finished last July) and thoroughly enjoyed it! History without a doubt was my favourite GCSE and coincidentally my best, definite correlation there.
    My exam board was EDEXCEL and the topics we chose were as follows:
    Crime and Punishment
    Life in Germany
    Protest and Order (or along those lines)
    A course work piece on America's economic boom and Great Depression.

It was amazing and I'd give anything to have that back again. TAKE HISTORY DUDE SERIOUSLY DO IT.

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA Geography and it's great! Your school will pick certain topics to cover, I believe you pick two human modules and one physical in addition to two courseworks. I really enjoy the course, in fact it's one of favourite lessons! I've done The Urban Environment which is all about the rural to urban change and its economic/social/environmental and political repercussions, Tourism which tends to be a lot of people's favourites and is all about how locally and globally we are affected by tourism and Natural Hazards which is about volcanoes and earthquakes etc. In addition, I did two courseworks, one based on a field trip.

Overall, I'd say Geography is great, the course is interesting and there's lots of variety. It also isn't too difficult, it's got a great mix of lots of subjects. Generally, it can give you a better perspective on the world, especially as you have to remember past case studies and it's always good to understand relevant geographical examples, forcing you to watch the news. I'd definitely recommend it, it's such an interesting and amazing subject!

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on board and spec

See I did totally different things to everyone else here

ReputationRep:
    There are a really wide range of options for GCSE History, no matter what exam board you do, but the most common ones I see are: Nazi Germany, Medicine through time, Vietnam War, 20th Century America, an in depth British History study etc.

Again, with geography, there are a wide number of options, but you can be sure there are things about: Natural Disasters and responses, climate change, rainforests, population, resource use, cities, and a geographical skills paper.

Couldn't recommend either subject more

ReputationRep:
    I done both
    GCSE History we done OCR B
    There are 3 parts to it, and each part is worth a 1/3 of the overall grade
    -Coursework on Nazi Germany, I got a D the first time round but I've just re-sat so hopefully at least a C
    -Britain in the 1920's so Suffragettes, Liberal Reforms and the Homefront, our exam was on one topic out of these and it was the skills paper so we had to use sources to back up our points, our exam was on the Liberal Reforms it was the best one and I got an A
    -Breakdown of International Peace, The Treaty of Versailles, USA depth study and effects of the treaty
    I honestly find it so boring, for me this course is a waste of time, if we had done a more interesting spec I think I would enjoy it a lot more.
    GCSE Geography we done Edexcel A
    There are 4 parts to this and each one is worth 25%. Each exam is marked out of 50. 25 marks for the first section and 25 for the second. There are 3 exams and 1 coursework
    -Unit 1 is geographical skills and challenges, the skills part is the hardest of all the units in my opinion, you learn about OS maps, cross sections, graphs and how to describe distributions, things like that, that is only half the exam the other half is challenges where you learn about climate change and sustainable development, this is a good mix of human and physical. I have this exam tomorrow and I'm looking at a low A* or high A, maps aren't my strong point
    -Unit 2 is half physical and the other half is more human based. There are 2 sections A and B. A is the purely physical side and you learn one or two of these options: coasts, tectonics, glaciers or rivers. I learnt about glaciers and coats and chose glaciers in my exam. Part B you learn about either Watery World or Wasteful World, I done Watery World and overall got 46/50 so a high A*
    Unit 3 is completely human, like unit 2 it's broken down into part A and B. You learn 1 or 2 from A which are Economic Change, Farming and the countryside, Settlement change or population change. Part B you will learn either A moving world or A Toursits World. I will be doing Economic Change and Toursits World once my unit 1 exam is over, this is meant to be one of the easiest units.
    Unit 4 was the coursework. Your teacher will decide the theme and then get given a set question and will then guide you through as much of it as they can, they will help you break down the question and work on your hypothesis. I done my coursework on coasts as we had learnt about it in Unit 2, I'm not sure what the other themes are though. I went on a day trip to Hengistbury Head in Dorset to gather my primary data, you will also need to research secondary data. Its been the funnest coursework that I've ever done, it's so interesting.
    Overall I love Geography and I'm doing it at A level and hoping to pursue it to degree level. However it is lots of work with lots of case studies to learn so be prepared to go to enhancements and keep thorough notes everything is important

Hope I helped and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    It all depends on board and spec

See I did totally different things to everyone else here
    Same - nothing i did has been mentioned.

History B aqa

The foreign policy of germany and lead up to the war
    Cold war origins
    Cold war crises

Hitle'r rise to power
    Russia 1905-24
    Russia 1924-39 iirc for paper 2

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with history, although the learning of events is fun, you spend most of your time analysing sources or comparing things :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Edexcel History B. Have an exam on Wednesday.
    You do Medicine though time, Life in Nazi Germany 1919-45 and then Surgery, one controlled assessment. Each one is worth 25 %.
    It depends on your exam board to be honest. So you can check their websites or ask your teachers.
    I can't tell you anything about Geography as I didn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickster210499)
    What topics do you study in gcse history and geography
    For my GCSE history I did Modern World History with Edexcel A

Unit1: International Relations (first 3 sections covering the outbreak of WW1, the league of nations, the peace settlement, appeasement, and outbreak of WW2)
    Unit2: Nazi Germany 1919-1939
    Unit3: Transformation of British Society 1903-1929
    Unit4: Civil Rights movement and Malcolm X 1960 onwards

I didn't do geography so I can't really help with that!

ReputationRep:
    History (aqa b)
    Stalin,Russia and Communism
    Cold war + Vietnam
    Britain during WWII

ReputationRep:
    I did edexcel last year but we did:
    Nazi germany
    Cold War
    American civil war, woman's right etc
    CAT on 60s Britain mods or rockers

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR History which covers Nazi Germany, Medicine Through Time and a piece of coursework (we did ours on a local monastery and wrote about the Cistercian monks and their development. We had to use lots of sources and evidence for it). It's generally very enjoyable. In the medicine topic there are lots of names and dates to learn though; and Nazi Germany requires quite a good understanding of politics.

I also do Geography, I think it's OCR. We covered physical Geography, human Geography, a piece of controlled assessment, and a decision making exam. Each unit is worth 25%. I found Geography alright; lots of case studies to remember though.

ReputationRep:
    I did (still do) geography AQA B, and the topics are pretty interesting, and the exams are quite easy, but I did it after school, which sucks the fun out a little bit, especially with controlled assessments, but overall, it's a pretty decent subject, especially if you're not doing it after school.

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel geography, and the topics our school picked are pretty easy. First we studied population and tourism (which is basically common sense) and now we are doing tectonics and wasteful world. Only thing difficult about it is remembering the case studies

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.