alliieexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey!
recently i have been going through endless options for what uni degree i should take, my two main ones have been nursing or law, but recently i have started to look into psychology, and then clinical psychology. i take Biology, BusinessBtec,English Language and psychology and i do enjoy Psychology as i find it a very interesting subject, but does anyone have any advice on taking psychology at degree level, then possible to a clinical psychology level.
Obviously i know that you have to get a degree in psychology and then be registered with the HCPC and then go for a doctorate in clinical psychology. i know that this is a lot of postgraduate work and work experiences and research, but i would rather study a lot for a job that i am interested in.
just wondering if anyone has any ideas or anyone can correct me if im wrong
JessicaTSR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All I can add is that from the research I did, it is extremely competitive to get into because everybody wants to do it! Read lots of job descriptions and stuff because it might not be as exciting as you think (it's not all working with murderers and psychopaths) :P
becomingbindy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Extremely, extremely competitive... I'm in third year of a BSc Psychology course and when I was applying to university I had all of these ideas about doing a doctorate etc but I definitely didn't realise how competitive and expensive it would be. We had a talk at uni about it and it's like 2.1 minimum but because of the competitive nature you only really stand a chance with a 1st/very high 2.1 plus a ridiculous amount of experience... it seems like you would need to spend every summer while you're at uni doing full time work experience in different placements. And even then it's not certain that you'd get in! Also, you need to have fees for 3 years to pay up front, plus money for living expenses, so unless you have very rich parents (which I don't) or manage to get sponsored or something you'd need to take a lot of years out working to save up.

So basically, I recommend doing a psychology degree because I find it fascinating... but I wouldn't get your heart set on being a clinical psychologist or any other kind of professional psychologist, as the vast majority of graduates don't follow this path.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads