Euannn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, i am currently an AS student, studying chemistry, maths, physics and biology.

Would it be a stupid idea to take all these to A2 level? Will it be an advantage for university? I want to be a doctor, and the competition is fierce. If i mess up one subject, i can rely on the extra subject for backup.

What are people's thoughts on this?
takeadeepbreath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would hold off thinking about it until you get you're as results, then you can see if you can actually cope. Also talk with a teacher who knows you well and see if they think you can handle all of them and still get good marks, it's better to have three good grades then more mediocre grades for uni applications. If you can cope and you enjoy them you might as well carry on, personally I'm doing 5 proper a2s (maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and psychology) and general studies and I'm coping well good luck whatever you do

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
rubena123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Euannn)
Hey guys, i am currently an AS student, studying chemistry, maths, physics and biology.

Would it be a stupid idea to take all these to A2 level? Will it be an advantage for university? I want to be a doctor, and the competition is fierce. If i mess up one subject, i can rely on the extra subject for backup.

What are people's thoughts on this?
depends whether you could work towards achieving them and realistic enough for you to achieve it bearing in mind that A2 is solid. But you would definitely stand out of the crowd, so go for it if you think its the right move
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bear in mind though that if you take 4 subjects to A level, you will most likely be offered an offer that includes all 4 A levels, so if the offer is AAAA then you have no room to screw up. If you think you can manage it then go for it, however it could be a better option to play it safe and take 3 A levels with something like an EPQ and work experience and end up achieving better grades than trying to stand out with 4 A levels and not meeting the requirements of the offer.
Euannn
Rep:
?
Thanks guys. Is A2 much harder than AS? I need to take into account that we are sitting all of the exams in june next year which is ridiculous.
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MalteseMalteser)
Bear in mind though that if you take 4 subjects to A level, you will most likely be offered an offer that includes all 4 A levels, so if the offer is AAAA then you have no room to screw up.
I don't personally agree with this. Most of my friends have 4 proper a levels and all their offers were based on the best 3. Also all my offers are based on 3/5 proper a level grades
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks guys. Is A2 much harder than AS? I need to take into account that we are sitting all of the exams in june next year which is ridiculous.
In some subjects I wouldn't say it's harder but sometimes the way you're examined changes
Euannn
Rep:
?
(Original post by takeadeepbreath)
I don't personally agree with this. Most of my friends have 4 proper a levels and all their offers were based on the best 3. Also all my offers are based on 3/5 proper a level grades
How do you find this? Is it capable? Or is it too much work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeneralOJB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, just make sure you concentrate more on your top three as your offer will (normally) be A/A* grades in 3 subjects. People in my college have left with 6 A's though, so 4 certainly isn't stupid, a lot of people continue all 4 to A2.
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do you find this? Is it capable? Or is it too much work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't find it's too much work since I'm used to my timetable now, however my exam timetable is EVIL I have 14 exams in June at least and three in January, last year I had 13 and it is fairly annoying having to have exams while your friends are all going out, but that's not that major of an issue to me(personally I don't mind exams, it's coursework I have issues with)
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was told by my tutor that you'd get an offer for 4 A levels if you took 4 A levels - maybe the offer requirements differ for each university regarding the number of A levels taken and how many A levels are in the offer?
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was told by my tutor that you'd get an offer for 4 A levels if you took 4 A levels - maybe the offer requirements differ for each university regarding the number of A levels taken and how many A levels are in the offer?
I have been told that our offer can be reduced i.e. if the offer is a*aa it could be taken down to aaaa, but I haven't actually known anyone who it's am happened to, most times the offer just states something like aab from maths chemistry further maths physics psychology. It could differ at different places though tbf
Euannn
Rep:
?
I don't find it's too much work since I'm used to my timetable now, however my exam timetable is EVIL I have 14 exams in June at least and three in January, last year I had 13 and it is fairly annoying having to have exams while your friends are all going out, but that's not that major of an issue to me(personally I don't mind exams, it's coursework I have issues with)
What are your predicted grades?
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have been told that our offer can be reduced i.e. if the offer is a*aa it could be taken down to aaaa, but I haven't actually known anyone who it's am happened to, most times the offer just states something like aab from maths chemistry further maths physics psychology. It could differ at different places though tbf
From what I've seen, normally an offer of 4 A levels will be slightly lower for one subject - however I have seen some offers go from a AAA from 3 A levels to AAAB for 4 A levels, in my opinion that's pretty high. Although I have seen some offers from LSE for courses which are A*AAE. So I'm sure it depends on the uni really.
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What are your predicted grades?
A*A*A*A*AA
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From what I've seen, normally an offer of 4 A levels will be slightly lower for one subject - however I have seen some offers go from a AAA from 3 A levels to AAAB for 4 A levels, in my opinion that's pretty high. Although I have seen some offers from LSE for courses which are A*AAE. So I'm sure it depends on the uni really.
Probably, I know my friend has to just get a pass in general studies for one of her offers
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably, I know my friend has to just get a pass in general studies for one of her offers
Yeah, and then there are the universities that don't like general studies at all and won't accept it as part of an offer.
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, and then there are the universities that don't like general studies at all and won't accept it as part of an offer.
None of mine do, I think only Liverpool and Lancaster actually accept it(?)
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
None of mine do, I think only Liverpool and Lancaster actually accept it(?)
I'm sure I've seen a few more than just those two that accept it - although I don't do general studies so I didn't really pay attention to that part of the entry requirements
takeadeepbreath
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure I've seen a few more than just those two that accept it - although I don't do general studies so I didn't really pay attention to that part of the entry requirements
I wish I didn't do general studies but its compulsory at my school apparently it makes you a rounded individual
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed