The Student Room Group

I will probably die a virgin...

Due to the fact of my paralysing social anxiety when approaching and talking to girls, I started to keep track of how many opportunities I had missed since my uni days just to keep myself busy.

During my 3 years at uni, here are some statistics I recorded:

- I had missed exactly 135 unique encounters with new girls.
- 630 potential chances missed with the same girls I saw around in my class.
- 553 potential chances missed with the girls I actually developed a crush on my course.

Most of these opportunities missed was during*seemingly easy situations such as:

- Me not talking to a girl when she was standing by herself alone by herself while we were waiting for something such as the lecture room to clear.
- Me not uttering a word when girls actually sat next to me in a half-full lecture theatre.
- Me standing there like an idiot when a girl required assistance, but due to the over supply of guys, generally one always was around to take my place.

I suppose all this is my fault because of my mental block and anxiety. I don't talk to girls and girls don't talk to me. No hearts broken. No tears shed. Everyone's a winner....er...somewhat.

And I would like I make it clear that I will NEVER hire a hooker.

So there you have it. At this rate, and plus due to the fact I actively work out, I estimate I will probably lead a long and lonely virgin life during my existence here on earth.

So any thoughts on how I can keep busy during the rest of my approximately 60 years of my life remaining, assuming I do not have an accident or other unknown factors?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

You might be trolling, but, in case you are not: http://approachanxiety.com/category/shes-six-steps-away/
Reply 2
this is quite frightening even by my standards
If you're recording statistics on missed opportunities then you're overthinking it. It sounds bad but try drinking a pint or two beforehand, I find social anxiety disappears for me when I'm half drunk, and that I've started to get less nervous around people when sober because of it.
You sound sexually frustrated and resorted to maths. That is never a good thing. Ever.
Sheldon, is that you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Chr0n
You might be trolling, but, in case you are not: http://approachanxiety.com/category/shes-six-steps-away/

No, I'm being serious here.

I've read countless of those blogs and seen countless videos, but still it hasnt help me.
Reply 7
Original post by TreeOfKnowledge
You sound sexually frustrated and resorted to maths. That is never a good thing. Ever.

I studied geography with a minor in statistics.
Reply 8
Typical TSR.
You're right. Especially with that attitude.

My best mate has horrid social anxiety too, but bloody hell he's trying. Get yourself some self respect boy. Stop counting for one, work on your own self esteem and then hit the social anxiety. Over analysing situations only make it worse. Learn to accept that you are who you are because of everything up to now and acknowledge that you can always improve on yourself.

Then you might just get over that first hurdle and say "Hi" for the first time in a long time.
Chances are, you probably wont die a virgin if we're talking maths here!
Reply 11
You count? :lolwut:
So you had crushes on 553 out of the 630 girls on your course?
Oh dear.
Original post by justanotherposter
If you're recording statistics on missed opportunities then you're overthinking it. It sounds bad but try drinking a pint or two beforehand, I find social anxiety disappears for me when I'm half drunk, and that I've started to get less nervous around people when sober because of it.

Wait... you mean most people don't have a couple to take the edge off before lectures??? :eek:
Reply 15
If you hire a prostitute there's a fair chance you won't die a virgin.
Reply 16
Obviously counting is not exactly going to help.

And you're clearly exaggerating, you had a crush on 553 different girls on your course?

Anxiety is not your fault, nor is it something to feel ashamed of.
Reply 17
Your challenge for tomorrow is to say "morning" or "hi" to the person you sit next to in each lecture, regardless of whether they're male or female.
Reply 18
Original post by Dragonfly07
So you had crushes on 553 out of the 630 girls on your course?

Taken in the context of the rest of that post, do you really find that so shocking?
Reply 19
Either work on it, or resign yourself to it. Pick one or the other. I'm speaking as a person who struggles at the best of times to talk to anyone unless I commit myself to it. Commit yourself to it and you will see results; you just need bravery. Living life on hard mode sucks, but nevertheless there is a sweeter sense of victory to be had from it. Win or lose, act or cower. Live or waste.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending