How do you deal with stress? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I can't deal with stress very well, over the years I've had bad periods where my mood has been so bad I've been very down, on anti-depressants and had counselling etc.

I thought I was recovering, I am rebuilding my life after having another (non-related) bad illness with my heart, and decided I was going to go back to uni.
I'm in my first year of a 3 years course at The University of Manchester, and i'm just finding it so, so much to take all at once.
I'm in the middle of exams and I was so stressed I just broke down and cried in the middle of the library... not good.
I am really committed to this course, my problem is that I think i'm putting too much pressure on myself all the time. I'm always putting myself down and keep thinking that I don't belong here coz i'm not smart enough, and that i'm so far behind everyone else.
I've got it into my head that i'm going to fail tomorrow and i'm so sure that I've even kept the dates completely free for when I know the resits are :/

Sorry for the essay, but my question is, how do you keep calm and collected? What helps you think rationally and generally relaxes you?

Atm i'm curled up with a hot chocolate but i'm struggling to switch off all the thoughts going round my head, and even though I've practically non-stop revised for weeks I feel guilty coming on TSR and watching tv for half an hour before bed!

Argh!
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get periods of just elevating my own anger. Something sparks me off and I'll just muse over it and let it boil and boil until I'm seething over some of the most trivial things. But for both those little peaks of being that angry and general stress, I go out for a walk, a run or a ride.

Being on my own with music, maybe take the dog and go riding so I have to focus on that rather then anything else. I put myself in a bubble, tell myself to calm the hell down and just relax. By the time I get home, I'm right as rain, ready to set off again and its worked every single time.

I have to get away, though. I can't sit in the house and just steam up over it. So I use riding or walking/running as an avenue. I've said some nasty things to people in the heat of being angry that I never meant to say and so I find it best for both me and others I don't wish to say anything horrible towards if I can just remove myself from the picture for a while.

But yeah, riding, music and isolation are my cures for stress and my little swings.
sjk1995
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1. exercise- very good at relieving your body of built-up negative emotions.
2. stress does not exist exterior to you, you could not go out and get 'some stress', the stress comes from within you. So, you need to help you change your state of mind into one which thinks positively and logically, not getting emotionally and physically bogged down in work and de-motivation. I advise meditation, most people find the concept of this quite funny, but honestly, 5 minutes before and after you revise/write an essay/have an exam, it makes a lot of difference.
One you have a positive mind set, you will do things more effectively and efficiently
harribo12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find that what can also help is setting distinct times when you are doing things. Like think: I'm going to do my work at 4pm but from now until then I can do what I like. Or, tonight I'm going out with my friends and I don't have to concentrate on anything else. If you try to just live in the present and forget about things that aren't to do with what you are doing now, it can help distinguish between work and leisure and i find it helps you to enjoy leisure activities without feeling as guilty.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
kathrineahmed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I try to change scenario to help me calm down or I pray, this really helps me. Sometimes I jot down every feeling that comes to my mind and be done with it. Everything will work out if you are out to figure it out
Mel1215
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wish I knew a way to deal with it, I'm going to end up with a stomach ulcer if I carry on the way I'm going.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have real issues with stress and putting pressure on myself,in the way you described.I tend to deal with it by listening to music,going for a long walk with my dog,reading or phoning a friend and hanging out,and perhaps discussing it(although I don't want to be a friend that is always talking about their problems all the time so I don't do this a lot)
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exercise.
CosmicVengeance
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Workout, well i do that anyway as a hobby but if I'm stressed il just go overboard on that day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Write a list of everything that you have to do, for example Uni work, odd jobs around the house/flat etc. Keep them nice and small, along with a few bigger ones.

Then each time you complete a task, cross it off.
alexh42
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
masturbate
HeavyTeddy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sleep.
LoopyLinguist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used to be a stressed-out emotional wreck thinking I needed to work all the time to get AAA in my A-levels. Then my history teacher just said to me that if I carried on the way I was, I was going to have regrets about this period of my life when I hit thirty. I think it shocked me a bit that he was so upfront, but it seriously changed me! Sounds cheesy, but there is so much more to life! Now, I go out more and have started going to the gym with my friends. Doing little things like that really help
Joanna-Marie :)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I can't deal with stress very well, over the years I've had bad periods where my mood has been so bad I've been very down, on anti-depressants and had counselling etc.

I thought I was recovering, I am rebuilding my life after having another (non-related) bad illness with my heart, and decided I was going to go back to uni.
I'm in my first year of a 3 years course at The University of Manchester, and i'm just finding it so, so much to take all at once.
I'm in the middle of exams and I was so stressed I just broke down and cried in the middle of the library... not good.
I am really committed to this course, my problem is that I think i'm putting too much pressure on myself all the time. I'm always putting myself down and keep thinking that I don't belong here coz i'm not smart enough, and that i'm so far behind everyone else.
I've got it into my head that i'm going to fail tomorrow and i'm so sure that I've even kept the dates completely free for when I know the resits are :/

Sorry for the essay, but my question is, how do you keep calm and collected? What helps you think rationally and generally relaxes you?

Atm i'm curled up with a hot chocolate but i'm struggling to switch off all the thoughts going round my head, and even though I've practically non-stop revised for weeks I feel guilty coming on TSR and watching tv for half an hour before bed!

Argh!
I understand how hard things can be when your trying to juggle things at University. I'm a Student Nurse and it can be really stressful at times trying to balance placements, written placement work, essay and exams on top of everything else that might be going on outside of University.

The key is balance, its good to put a certain amount of 'pressure' on you as it motivates you to carry out your studies but you should be giving yourself time to relax too.

My 'tactic' is to have short periods of study - I can't take much more that 1-2 hours without a break. Then I'll do the things that I enjoy to relax - listening to music, watching a film, having a walk around town, lunch out .. whatever you enjoy doing but away from your study area! It's also good to arrange at least a day or two 'off' from studying. That way you can get away and again do the things you enjoy - meet your friends, lunch out, go to a society or club.

Lastly, I know it's one that people always stay but exercising is a great way to releive stress - go for a walk, join a local team, go to the gym - whatever takes your fancy. I personally try to schedule in exercise for three days a week .. I go to the gym on Wednesday and Sundays (which are always my days off) and I do Taekwondo (Martial Art) which is very good for stress relief .. sparring sessions are particually good - you have no idea how much aiming to kick someone in the head, under controlled circumstances, helps with stress!
rjm101
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The following works for me:

Take a bath
Masturbate
Excercise
Watch a funny film
Eat chocolate
APhilToRemember
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

Have yourself some me time,

Do something you enjoy, a hobby or interest help to take mind off and balance life cycle

Also I find confinding in someone can help to relieve stess

Posted from TSR Mobile
sliceofcake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I clean quite obsessively. Revise? Not until that sink has been scrubbed. Now that I've done that, I may as well clean the rest of the bathroom.
I've found my first wave of university exams quite stressful but I did a very stupid thing of going to all of my lectures but not properly taking it in. I'd rewrite my notes immediately so that they were actually legible but I still didn't properly take them in and I didn't do any of the suggested reading. Didn't see it as necessary but now I realise the more you know the less stressful the exam period becomes. I've told myself this will be changing this term but lets see how it goes.
PostgradMatt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exercise, eating well, talking to /meeting people. Oh and exercise. Lots of exercise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
7.09%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.24%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.54%
It might lead to more bullying (91)
35.83%
There's nothing they could do (77)
30.31%

Watched Threads