The Student Room Group

Leeds student property shop

Just started looking at moving out of halls into our own housing. Found the perfect house with the company Student Property Shop, in Leeds They have not asked for a deposit but £120 "signing fee." Also we are unsure about how reputable the company due to some articles found on the internet. Just wondering whether anyone can voucher for them or not?
Original post by steve-g
Just started looking at moving out of halls into our own housing. Found the perfect house with the company Student Property Shop, in Leeds They have not asked for a deposit but £120 "signing fee." Also we are unsure about how reputable the company due to some articles found on the internet. Just wondering whether anyone can voucher for them or not?

Check with the Student Advice Centre in LUU. You can take your contract along for them to check out as well. Don't worry if it's not OK - there's so much housing available for September that you shouldn't rush into it if you're unsure.

ETA: I'm sorry I just assumed you were a Leeds Uni student! If you''re at the Met, Or Leeds trinity then your students unions also do contract checking. Not sure about the College of Music or LCAD but there are welfare officers to ask. Also, Unipol will be able to tell you if they are one of their registered landlords or not. If not, you have to wonder why they wouldn't be......
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Unipol are like all the other letting agents out there, they want to make money. Just because they say they are a charity and part of the uni you still can get a crap house. I have been living in a seven bedroom house paying £85 which I signed with the student property shop. They have Landlords which really seem passionate about houses and making them modern. My seven bedroom house is brand new fully refurbished. They offered this to me and my friends and we knew we where getting possibly the best student house in Leeds. There was no deposit because the Landlord said you doesn't want them because it more headache then it is worth. I f we break a chair then we will have to pay for it between seven of us. When I was viewing houses i saw house on Richmond Avenue drive which where cramped. Then i saw one with the student property shop and it was open planned and all new. Me and my house mates all girls where excited. Now we have resigned for 2014 til 2015 with the student property shop because we had no problems.

Quick Reply

Latest