The Student Room Group

British-Asian Footballers????

Hey so I was just reading about how far Black Footballers in Britain have come, from the days of Viv Anderson to John Barnes, to today where some of the very best English players are black.

It got me wondering, where are all the British-Asian Footballers??? (I'm talking mainly about Indian, Pakistani ,Bangladeshi descent)

As Asians we make up a significantly larger proportion of Britain than people of Afro-Caribbean descent, yet you'd be hard pushed to find a single one in the entire football league, let alone the Premier League.

So what are peoples thoughts on why this is?

Cultural differences?
Are we just Crap?
Discrimination?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From a physical point of view, black and white footballers tend to be bigger/stronger/faster than the Asian (South-East and Far East) counterpart. The gap is changing imo, especially when comparing to the Far East but I guess it makes a difference.

A lot of natural sports stars in SE Asia are more likely to go into cricket over football.

There just doesn't seem to be that same culture of wanting to become a footballer in SE Asians.
Reply 2
Gone to Cricket innnit Bruv! :biggrin:

I also think it is to do with Asian family standards. Most Asian parents want you to have a degree and stuff (be a doctor :tongue: ) and give less time to things such a sports because the chances of making it to the big leagues is slim for anyone. I think Asian parents would opt for the education route. For example a friend of mine (he is white) has made it into Doncaster Rovers football club so a professional team, however he had to take 2 years to stay in training everyday between 16 - 18 so he missed sixth form. There was no guarantee that he would be selected for the first team but he made it in the end. Where as Asian parents would probably prefer you going to sixth form and then a degree rather than risking those two years to be a professional footballer.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you look at grass roots football there isn't many asians playing.
I'm from Birmingham and my brothers been involved in grass routes football for years, you just don't see them playing it. So if they aren't playing then they obviously wont get scouted.
Reply 4
Black people have been in the UK for much longer. Asians only started coming in the 60s and 70s, so they weren't really settled. They are now, so I think you'll start to see some in the coming years. Also, maybe because Asian parents would much rather their children take an academic path so that could also have an effect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by raveen789
Gone to Cricket innnit Bruv! :biggrin:

I also think it is to do with Asian family standards. Most Asian parents want you to have a degree and stuff (be a doctor :tongue: ) and give less time to things such a sports because the chances of making it to the big leagues is slim for anyone. I think Asian parents would opt for the education route. For example a friend of mine (he is white) has made it into Doncaster Rovers football club so a professional team, however he had to take 2 years to stay in training everyday between 16 - 18 so he missed sixth form. There was no guarantee that he would be selected for the first team but he made it in the end. Where as Asian parents would probably prefer you going to sixth form and then a degree rather than risking those two years to be a professional footballer.

Yeah i think that's a big reason, I can't imagine an Asian boy going up to their parents and telling them they're going to be a footballer lol
Reply 6
Original post by Zerforax
From a physical point of view, black and white footballers tend to be bigger/stronger/faster than the Asian (South-East and Far East) counterpart. The gap is changing imo, especially when comparing to the Far East but I guess it makes a difference.

A lot of natural sports stars in SE Asia are more likely to go into cricket over football.

There just doesn't seem to be that same culture of wanting to become a footballer in SE Asians.

Hmmm i sort of get what u mean physically, but then again there are alot of smaller players nowadays, especially in areas like the wings and midfield
Reply 7
asians are good at cricket :smile:
Reply 8
It's fitness levels. Most Asians have bad diets.
Reply 9
Original post by Dan1607
It's fitness levels. Most Asians have bad diets.

I might have to disagree with you there, we don't all eat curries like u get from the local takeaway, homecooked asian food can be pretty healthy
Reply 10
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
I might have to disagree with you there, we don't all eat curries like u get from the local takeaway, homecooked asian food can be pretty healthy

It's home cooked asain food I'm talking about. It has a lot of fat, oil and salt in it. It's okay now and again but if you're eating it everyday it makes you unfit. Takeaway food is worse I agree but most people can't afford to eat it every day. Also since most asians live with their parents, they can't break out of that habit.
I'm not saying it's the main reason but I think it's a contributing factor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I have no idea. Even if not that many play the numbers are still incredibly disproportionate.
oriental asian here. interested to make it into professional scene. had lots of experience playing in the lower league

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZb3wfcFfuU

Quite recent, got some bits about why the isnt many asians in football.
There was this documentary about racism in football which featured something about this

Reply 15
Original post by AkaJetson
There was this documentary about racism in football which featured something about this

Wow, now that's intersting, dyu know the name of that documentary?

"Is football racist"

Just type it on Youtube its about 50min long.
Reply 17

Clarke Carlisle, Is Football Racist?

Returning to the thread topic, some of the reasons have already been stated, that is poor diet, parents' pushing for a more respectable career but a more pertinent theory is the mindset of third-generation Asians migrating from the sub-continent.

When they arrived here, their main focus was to WORK and build a stable future for their children. They just worked and worked. Sadly, getting involved in the UK's traditions - one of them being going to watch the football with their children on a weekend or watching their kids play Saturday football - wasn't something that time could provide them with. Had they done so, then that would have pushed Asian kids - if they had the tangible talent - to proceed in football with the aim of turning pro with their parents' wishes because they had encouraged them from a young age.

A non-football related example, but look at Amir Khan. His father and uncle, in Amir's amateur days, would drop everything to drive him and support him in his fights. Had they not taken that dedication then I doubt he would have continued his passion for boxing. Parents play the key, not only in words but action in regards to supporting their children's dream or desire to play professional sport. But that's not just Asian kids, it's a universal principle IMO.
Yeah i think that's a big reason, I can't imagine an Asian boy going up to their parents and telling them they're going to be a footballer lol

Haha, tell me about it. :L
Reply 19
Original post by Aky786UK
Clarke Carlisle, Is Football Racist?

Returning to the thread topic, some of the reasons have already been stated, that is poor diet, parents' pushing for a more respectable career but a more pertinent theory is the mindset of third-generation Asians migrating from the sub-continent.

When they arrived here, their main focus was to WORK and build a stable future for their children. They just worked and worked. Sadly, getting involved in the UK's traditions - one of them being going to watch the football with their children on a weekend or watching their kids play Saturday football - wasn't something that time could provide them with. Had they done so, then that would have pushed Asian kids - if they had the tangible talent - to proceed in football with the aim of turning pro with their parents' wishes because they had encouraged them from a young age.

A non-football related example, but look at Amir Khan. His father and uncle, in Amir's amateur days, would drop everything to drive him and support him in his fights. Had they not taken that dedication then I doubt he would have continued his passion for boxing. Parents play the key, not only in words but action in regards to supporting their children's dream or desire to play professional sport. But that's not just Asian kids, it's a universal principle IMO.

Yh i get your point, but surely the first black people came to this country to WORK aswell?

Quick Reply

Latest