The Student Room Group

why do people complain gcses are too easy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Yep, certainly too easy.

I think you'll actually find that both my spelling and grammar are above standard for the internet, and that I knew there we grammar issues with that post, which is why I posted the edit; I was extremely tired and had literally just woken up. You will find far worse issues with spelling and grammar in many more places including this very forum. The fact that you've resorted to trying to point out issues in spelling is both petty and also shows that you probably have nothing more to add to do this debate.
Original post by Ollie113
I think you'll actually find that both my spelling and grammar are above standard for the internet, and that I knew there we grammar issues with that post, which is why I posted the edit; I was extremely tired and had literally just woken up. You will find far worse issues with spelling and grammar in many more places including this very forum. The fact that you've resorted to trying to point out issues in spelling is both petty and also shows that you probably have nothing more to add to do this debate.

Alternatively, you could learn to spell.
Reply 22
Alternatively, you could learn to spell.

I already can spell. Alternatively you could learn to construct a strong argument based on evidence that has been presented and gain the ability to intelligently mold interpretations of that evidence to fit an outcome that you wish to convince people of. Looks like your law course spends too much time looking at your spelling and not enough time teaching you how to become a lawyer. Which is worrying: we need arrogant bastards like you to pervert justice as you throw away morals and tarnish society in pursuit of money.

If you're struggling to construct an argument so much that you need to resort to criticism of my spelling then perhaps law school is not for you...
I already can spell. Alternatively you could learn to construct a strong argument based on evidence that has been presented and gain the ability to intelligently mold interpretations of that evidence to fit an outcome that you wish to convince people of. Looks like your law course spends too much time looking at your spelling and not enough time teaching you how to become a lawyer. Which is worrying: we need arrogant bastards like you to pervert justice as you throw away morals and tarnish society in pursuit of money.

If you're struggling to construct an argument so much that you need to resort to criticism of my spelling then perhaps law school is not for you...

Or perhaps you could learn to spell?
Reply 24
Or perhaps you could learn to spell?

And now you're just repeating your point over and over. Lawyers need to adapt to a situation. You risk leaving university with a degree that you cannot even use properly.
And now you're just repeating your point over and over. Lawyers need to adapt to a situation. You risk leaving university with a degree that you cannot even use properly.

When you learn to spell come back to me ok?

Ttyn xoxo
Reply 26
When you learn to spell come back to me ok?

Ttyn xoxo

When you learn to stop repeating the same point and can actually construct an argument, then I shall be more than happy to debate the issue of GCSEs and their difficulties.
Original post by ebam_uk
Depends which uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unsure whether you mean 'some unis are difficult, so won't be fun' or 'some unis are easy, so will be fun'. I'm not sure whether you got the sarcasm in my post or not either, but I was trying to imply that if the poster's having a hard time with the work at A-level, university will not be much fun.
Reply 28
Because too many people get good grades. The qualification therefore lowers in value.

Also because GCSEs aren't nearly enough preparation for A level.
They are very easy:

I self-taught mine in 5 months, 3 for Triple science, and got 5 A*s 6 A's and 1 B (coursework element had to be supervised - unable to complete.) This was in addition to self-teaching As IT and Psychology (BB) in the same time frame. I was 15.

Hence my personal view that GCSEs are inadequate preparation for A level - though I am self-teaching Physics As and A2 this year in five months. It is the Maths more than anything else, oh and the Chemistry!
Reply 30
Original post by Cesca(Tony)
!

Couldn't you have picked a different exam board that didn't required supervised coursework?
Reply 31
GCSEs perhaps don't seem 'easy' at the time, but once you get into A-levels or any sort of higher education (i'm studying biology, maths and English) you realise how much more work they demand of you (in English's case) and have to quickly get to grips with complex ideas, or risk falling behind.

And, unlike GCSE, no matter how much revision you put in, the grade/UMS you will get is still uncertain. I felt in GCSE that for the subjects I revised for getting the grade I wanted was almost inevitable, whereas at A-level I put unbelievable amounts of work into a certain maths module but still came out with a B and had to retake. I don't think this would happen as much in GCSE.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
Couldn't you have picked a different exam board that didn't required supervised coursework?

Unfortunately not, as I was still technically enrolled at a secondary school - who selected the exam board. There was no negotiation.

I was royally screwed over by the school, as in, I moved schools and was dropped a year - as my year were doing GCSEs a year early, but they then cancelled the scheme for the year I had been put into. Despite repeated complaints, it was only in December of Year 10, when I should have been Year 11, that they handed me a stack of textbooks and said 'Good Luck!'

It was a rather strange situation, and there were five of us affected - I ended up teaching the others, quite literally, and now act as a supply teacher for lower year groups at my school!
Because they are?

A-levels too, for that matter.

Neg away - but once you've finished them you'll look back and realise you barely did any real work.

A levels really arent 'easy' unless you're sub-normally intelligent or just taking soft subjects.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
Original post by GAB
A levels really arent 'easy' unless you're sub-normally intelligent or just taking soft subjects.

Um. It doesn't make much sense they you would find A-levels easy if you were of 'sub-normal' intelligence. Presumably you meant above average?

I didn't take 'soft subjects'.
Don't know about GCSE's but for A levels getting easier is complete crap!!

If you do a june 2012 paper and did say a june 2006 paper (for chemistry anyway) most of the questions are simply just factual recall. In all the later papers I can get at least 85% or higher, for more recent it drops to about maybe 65%-80% maybe? There are way more complex questions and the questions they give your are not examples from the book, most of them are applied.

Also in class when were doing past papers my biology teacher used to mark exam papers says how piss easy it was like 6 years back. He gives us those papers to "Get our self-esteems up"

We have it harder especially with pressure from the government exam boards are just throwing in random questions they know the majority of people will not answer so grades fall right back into place to show how schools are meeting targets.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Don't know about GCSE's but for A levels getting easier is complete crap!!

If you do a june 2012 paper and did say a june 2006 paper (for chemistry anyway) most of the questions are simply just factual recall. In all the later papers I can get at least 85% or higher, for more recent it drops to about maybe 75% maybe?

Also in class when were doing past paper my biology teacher used to mark exam papers says how piss easy it was like 6 years back. He gives us those papers to "Get our self-esteems up"

We have it harder especially with pressure from the government exam boards are just throwing in random questions they know the majority of people will not answer so grades fall right back into place to show how schools are meeting targets.

Doing Chemistry myself I agree completely! Pre 2009 past papers are so much more easier it is unbelievable! I never take people seriously when they say A levels are getting easier, I mean have they actually DONE a past paper at all in a subject like Chemistry?!
Um. It doesn't make much sense they you would find A-levels easy if you were of 'sub-normal' intelligence. Presumably you meant above average?

I didn't take 'soft subjects'.

Sub-normal just means different from the norm, so above average (not below average, sorry for the lack of clarity). Well, most people in my college find them difficult, especially the sciences. I dont think they are considered easy, they are very well respected internationally.

'Easy' implies that something is achieved without any effort and that there were no difficulties along the way, which is certainly not the case with A levels- you have to work hard to do well.

Original post by GAB
Sub-normal just means different from the norm, so above average (not below average, sorry for the lack of clarity). Well, most people in my college find them difficult, especially the sciences. I dont think they are considered easy, they are very well respected internationally.

'Easy' implies that something is achieved without any effort and that there were no difficulties along the way, which is certainly not the case with A levels- you have to work hard to do well.

This is not my experience. I took english literature, English language, law and history. A*A*Aa respectively. Honestly, it was very easy.

If people find A-levels hard I dread to think what they must think when they go to university.
This is not my experience. I took english literature, English language, law and history. A*A*Aa respectively. Honestly, it was very easy.

If people find A-levels hard I dread to think what they must think when they go to university.

Ok well fair enough, they are good subjects. I think its mainly sciences/languages that people struggle with coz they are over simplified at GCSE, hence the jump is massive and plus I take 5 AS levels so that probably increases the workload.

Tbh they are no where near as bad as people made them out to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending