The Student Room Group

Sum up modern Britain in one image!

My contribution:

Source: 'growing up poor: lads' on BBC 3.

Scroll to see replies

In the alternative, I offer this submission:

David Cameron on the Wythenshawe council estate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
In the alternative, I offer this submission:

David Cameron on the Wythenshawe council estate.

Well I think this one sums up the gulf between those in power and the powerless... I mean the only bigger contrast would be if it was Prince Philip instead of Cameron in that pic lol
Original post by Barden
Well I think this one sums up the gulf between those in power and the powerless... I mean the only bigger contrast would be if it was Prince Philip instead of Cameron in that pic lol

What, because all of the 'powerless' are obviously like that chav, aren't they?

Or perhaps not... :K:
Reply 5
I can't find a picture of it, but there is a cool place on Alfreton Road in Nottingham that is basically a pub designed for Muslims. So it has pool tables and Sky Sports, everything you would expect from a pub, but only serves non-alcoholic drinks. You see a mixture of both Muslims and non-Muslims mixing together. A classic example of integration without assimilation; multi-cultural Britain in action.

Maybe a photo of an incompetent banker who ****ed up the economy opening his million pound bonus whilst thousands are made jobless.

Or a photo of priviledged middle class students posting pictures that demonise the working class as lazy and criminal on an internet forum.

Of course, you could do worse than a photo of Mo Farah, the little kid who got lost on cross country courses because he couldn't read English. How many people on here would have deported him?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal."
(edited 11 years ago)

EDIT: lol I don't know why this has drawn so much negative attention, it literally was just a crazy random picture I found on google.

Ah guess you can please some of the people all of the time but not all people part of some of the time....... erm, too many time were people pleased about the time................. :ninja: Yup.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
What, because all of the 'powerless' are obviously like that chav, aren't they?

Or perhaps not... :K:

I would say that those reliant on the state are the most powerless.

Access to the lowest standards of education, parental-instilled attitude that there is nothing more to life than signing on and then loitering until 'tea-time'.

It's a vicious cycle that gets worse and worse, hence the term 'sink estates'.

If you ask me, the problem isn't welfare. It's not the ability to live on benefits that results in many people doing so... but it's the lack of a better example. If you grow up on a massive council estate and never see what your life could be like if you try hard at school and get a decent job, you have no inspiration and thus no ambition.

Getting back on-topic, what I'm getting at, is that Cameron is from a completely different world than that chav. A world that chav will never know. A world he'll never aspire to because he has not even seen it around him.

I think that's where things went wrong, and I say it when people talk about problematic immigrant communities too: ghettoisation. Ghettoisation of the poor, in this instance.
The OP raises an interesting point - there is a huge entitlement issue in modern Britain. I haven't seen the latest episode of Growing up Poor, but if that boy has been quoted saying that, I don't think I could watch it without face palming continuously.
Reply 10
The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_poster_Gollum_620x380-300x180.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by 3 Phase Duck

:rolleyes:
Reply 12
Modern_Britain_Flyer.jpg
Reply 13

Old woman attacking robbers with her handbag.
Reply 14

Reply 15

The best food and drink in the world.
Reply 16

Lack of respect :colonhash:
Reply 18
Why do we pretend that society is so much worse than it actually is? Things aren't perfect, but they are better than they have ever been before.
Original post by py0alb
I can't find a picture of it, but there is a cool place on Alfreton Road in Nottingham that is basically a pub designed for Muslims. So it has pool tables and Sky Sports, everything you would expect from a pub, but only serves non-alcoholic drinks. You see a mixture of both Muslims and non-Muslims mixing together. A classic example of integration without assimilation; multi-cultural Britain in action.

Maybe a photo of an incompetent banker who ****ed up the economy opening his million pound bonus whilst thousands are made jobless.

Or a photo of priviledged middle class students posting pictures that demonise the working class as lazy and criminal on an internet forum.

Of course, you could do worse than a photo of Mo Farah, the little kid who got lost on cross country courses because he couldn't read English. How many people on here would have deported him?

People don't like your common sense or your ability to not throw yourself at one equally ridiculous polar end of an argument.

Quick Reply

Latest