ellismckenzielee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all, after applying for mech eng I have been accepted into sheffield manchester and Leeds, and I'm struggling to make up my mind. Can anyone explain manchesters ratings, in world rankings it tends to be higher than the value in uk rankings. Thanks
JohninScot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

the difference between the national and international ranking is due to the different technique used. For example Internationally Manchester having lot's of student tend to have more publication. Also by being in a big city it attract lot's of potential donor which allow more money for all kind of events. Had to that they as well use the number of nobel Prize sometimes in those ranking, which is a bit biased because many Prize can date from decades and decades ago when many universities where just colleges. The downside I would say is bigger class, or just big promotions so you won't have much attention from your teacher. They might not have a tutoring as good as smaller Uni. To be fair depend if you want you want to use your degree more nationally then new university or smaller one are better because more student focused I suppose. However do not rule out Manchester as the teaching might be really good ( first class teacher I suppose).

PS: I also applied at Man Uni for Engineering ( Civil though) .
Valeri0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello
I've got the same problem, and I applied at Man Uni for Civil Engineering too!
I'm going to do a MSc so probably smaller uni with smaller class would be the better option for me?
JohninScot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey!
To be fair depend of you. I have heard great thing from Manchester but also red bad reviews on the web complaining it wasn't enough focus on its students.
Where else did you apply?
I finally picked my 1st choice. Edinburgh University. Class aren't too big and great reputation, plus the open days won me over. I chatted with 3 or 4 of the staff/teachers. Nice and approachable. Something I did not feel in Man Uni where it was a bit too strict and looked liked some sort of "chain" open days.
(Been to Newcastle, open days was great too)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads