Preparing to study at masters level Watch

dollydaydream24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I am looking for short courses or guidance on how to prepare to study at masters level. I lost my confidence at undergraduate level as I achieved a 2:2 and felt that it held me back in a lot of routes I have wanted to pursue at higher level. I have enquired about a masters course at a couple of uni's who have offered it and they said they look at applications based on individual merit as the course I want to do (Autism) focuses on experience as well as academic. (I have lots of experience I can use in my personal statement/interview)

Does anyone know of any decent short courses on study skills or academic writing at all?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both my undergrad and Masters unis run day courses on things like academic writing, research skills, identifying appropriate academic sources, referencing/citation, avoidance of plagiarism etc. It might be worth contacting your target unis and asking if they have anything like that - the courses I had were free, so it might be daft to spend money unnecessarily.
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dollydaydream24)
Hi,

I am looking for short courses or guidance on how to prepare to study at masters level. I lost my confidence at undergraduate level as I achieved a 2:2 and felt that it held me back in a lot of routes I have wanted to pursue at higher level. I have enquired about a masters course at a couple of uni's who have offered it and they said they look at applications based on individual merit as the course I want to do (Autism) focuses on experience as well as academic. (I have lots of experience I can use in my personal statement/interview)

Does anyone know of any decent short courses on study skills or academic writing at all?
Those are all things you should know how to do by now so I do not see how a short course would help. The only difference between undergraduate and postgraduate study is the increased difficulty and quantity of work. The only way to prepare its to get a headstart on the work itself. Ask the course leader for a reading list if you have not got one already.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you shoudl try not to have to much fear and ask a lot of questions. Otherwise maybe sit down and read some scientific papers and look how they are written, try to write by yourself often shorter textes (just to write something, that will make you faster and you can use them later to look something up, revise...) or read a book over scientific writing. As you are longer out of your studies you will anyway have to readapt and others will be in the same position.

In my opinion it is also a question of personal talent and luck, e.g. to have to have write a lot of essays and having supervisors who really spend time on teaching you, how to write.
dollydaydream24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you for your responses.

Yes I should already have those skills but unfortunately I did too much partying and not a lot of studying. Three years on I'm ready to take on a course I feel passionately about rather than one I thought I should do (naive 18 year old). My degree is completely unrelated to the subject I want to study at masters level. I have the knowledge I just want to brush up my skills so I don't bodge it up again. Read around the subject and have put it into practice as well, it's just taking the next step.

Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads