dan1209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Not really read a lot of information on placements in mental health on here, so was wondering if anyone had any experiences/ideas/tips for a hopeful applicant?

Also, has anyone been placed on CAMHS before? I know you can't choose placements, but I have an interview coming up at Manchester, and I looked through their placement directory out of curiosity, and found my PERFECT placement in CAMHS in the Royal Children's Hospital!
angel_delight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can get a variety of placements in mental health. Community could be out with cpns for elderly or for adults, intensive crisis team, day centres, day hospitals etc. You could have forensics, rehab, recovery, acute admisions, intensive care, elderly long term, elderly assessment, prisons, liaison work.

I didnt get a placement in camhs as it was just community where I was and you werent allowed to get involved although I did bank in a inpatient unit and it is very intense and you learn things very quickly. You may be able to choose this as your elective or diverse placement. Good luck
dan1209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by angel_delight)
You can get a variety of placements in mental health. Community could be out with cpns for elderly or for adults, intensive crisis team, day centres, day hospitals etc. You could have forensics, rehab, recovery, acute admisions, intensive care, elderly long term, elderly assessment, prisons, liaison work.

I didnt get a placement in camhs as it was just community where I was and you werent allowed to get involved although I did bank in a inpatient unit and it is very intense and you learn things very quickly. You may be able to choose this as your elective or diverse placement. Good luck
Thanks for the info!
Soph.Jade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dan1209)
Not really read a lot of information on placements in mental health on here, so was wondering if anyone had any experiences/ideas/tips for a hopeful applicant?

Also, has anyone been placed on CAMHS before? I know you can't choose placements, but I have an interview coming up at Manchester, and I looked through their placement directory out of curiosity, and found my PERFECT placement in CAMHS in the Royal Children's Hospital!
My first placement is in community with a cpn, others from mental health are in day centres, wards, admissions units, substance misuse etc. We get to go to acute wards further into our degree.

You could mention your interest in camhs in your interview (shows you've really thought about the uni) & if you get in, speak to your tutor as mine is really accommodating and if we show and interest they'll do their best to get us there. You might also have an elective placement so you could organise one then.

Best of luck with your application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.92%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.27%
It might lead to more bullying (133)
38.33%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.97%

Watched Threads