Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For years LSE has had to face accusations that it unfairly favours foreign students over UK applicants, because it can charge them more. Yet the LSE policy is based on sound market economics: foreign applicants to LSE are of very high calibre and will pay market rates for their education-they don't expect to get it on the cheap. These students have to compete hard to get in. LSE can pick and choose its foreign students, unlike a number of British academies that are eager to accept foreign students on any basis at all. Yet the insinuation remains that better qualified home applicants are discriminated against by LSE..Of course the reason for the policy initially is the long-term underfunding of elite universities. So LSE, unfairly, has had to take the rap for the weird policy-making that governs British education..

Now Oxford announces that money problems mean it will adopt a similar approach, with an emphasis on recruiting overseas post-graduates. Given its massive, inherited wealth it doesn't have the same excuses as LSE..

Now, will we see Oxford beaten with the same stick, will we get the same accusations and insinuations?..I wonder..on the other hand everyone's totally impartial..aren't they?

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    hmmm - hefce controls UG home student numbers.

There will be NO growth in these numbers funded for the next 10 yrs (all growth is in 2 yr foundation degree courses).

The only area for growth is in the unregulated areas of post grads and international students (which has actually been the case since 1997 - except since then some growth in student numbers was funded - but only in science and engineering courses which is why LSE adopted it's strategy early).

If anything increasing the number of international students actually benefits home students by increasing the general wealth of the university.

Oxford haven't *chosen* to give preference to international students....they've just taken the only logical step available to them if they wish to grow their student numbers and their financial situation.

The real point is media bias: will goody-goody Oxbridge get the same stick for doing the same thing with less justification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    The real point is media bias: will goody-goody Oxbridge get the same stick for doing the same thing with less justification?
    I don't quite know which planet you live on; but out of all the Universities, Oxbridge is given the hardest time with regards to admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I don't quite know which planet you live on; but out of all the Universities, Oxbridge is given the hardest time with regards to admissions.
    Nobody could accuse you of being polite, bigknees: the planet you live on is a smart-ass, snotty little place.

But apart from the occasional fuss about an aggrieved applicant Oxbridge gets a pretty easy, obsequious ride from our media.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody could accuse you of being polite, bigknees: the planet you live on is a smart-ass, snotty little place.

But apart from the occasional fuss about an aggrieved applicant Oxbridge gets a pretty easy, obsequious ride from our media.

To be honest, oxbridge is supposed to be a world class instiution so it should attract the most able applicants from around the world. But due to restricts on overseas intake, it probably has to turn away many of the more able overseas students in favour of domestic students.

Don't get me wrong, overseas students did me no favours, i got rejected from LSE but if they're better than me then I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:

Whatever. I honestly don't know why you bother posting here.

I guess that being a condescending shite is the only way that weak little b******* such as yourself can get gets. Quite pathetic, in truth.

I don't agree with your standpoint - get over it. If you only want yes-men who will agree with everything that you say, then you are in the wrong place, Hewie.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, this is stupid. Oxford gets just about the worst media-bashing of any university on the planet, especially concerning admissions procedures. I haven't heard anything but an odd mention of the fact that LSE takes so many overseas students in the media. And to whoever said that Oxford is rich, it most certainly isn't. Oxford and Cambridge have been running at a severe defecit for many years, and although they might have more assets than other UK universities this does not necessarily translate into cash. Compared to The Ivies they are completely skint.

ReputationRep:
    bigknees
    oooh, that made me laugh!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)

its rather funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)

Hewie can sleep easy - knowing he entertains imbeciles.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, mi-aow!!!!!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Ooooh, mi-aow!!!!!
    miaow, indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Um, your either misinformed or can see the facts but are a bit of an idiot (no-offence). Oxford (and to a slightly lesser extent Cambridge) are continually and unfairly crucified by the media for their applications procedure, with claims that they are biased against some group or another regularly making the front page of the papers, coverage which is rarely if ever sympathetic to oxbridges position. The fact is oxbridge bashing sells papers and is often used by politicians for purely political ends.

Never seen the same thing happen to LSE, sorry but you seem to be assuming because you are annoyed about some perceived criticism that everybody in the press is out to get LSE. No one else has really noticed. Sorry.

That said I agree the coverage that there is of LSE is unfair - they are left with no alternative by the governments funding (or lack thereof).

But claiming Oxford is given the soft touch by the media suggests that while you may not be living on another planet to the rest of us, which ever part of it you do live in can't receive british newspapers....

p.s. if you don't believe me, check out the front page of yesterdays times/telegraph - 'Cambridge misses targets' p.13, LSE mentioned in passing in regard to foreign students.

ReputationRep:
    For years LSE has had to face accusations that it unfairly favours foreign students over UK applicants, because it can charge them more. Yet the LSE policy is based on sound market economics: foreign applicants to LSE are of very high calibre and will pay market rates for their education-they don't expect to get it on the cheap. These students have to compete hard to get in. LSE can pick and choose its foreign students, unlike a number of British academies that are eager to accept foreign students on any basis at all. Yet the insinuation remains that better qualified home applicants are discriminated against by LSE..Of course the reason for the policy initially is the long-term underfunding of elite universities. So LSE, unfairly, has had to take the rap for the weird policy-making that governs British education..

Now Oxford announces that money problems mean it will adopt a similar approach, with an emphasis on recruiting overseas post-graduates. Given its massive, inherited wealth it doesn't have the same excuses as LSE..

Now, will we see Oxford beaten with the same stick, will we get the same accusations and insinuations?..I wonder..on the other hand everyone's totally impartial..aren't they?

I know a number of overseas people, who got places at LSE. Let me just say that British Applicants with similar grades applied to Oxford Brookes and East Anglia Poly... and don't say I don't have a clue, because I know of about 30 people, who have either been or are still there.

I don't know if this has been posted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3501190.stm

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.