Confuseddot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys! New to this thread, so hello there!

Basically, I'm in my 3rd year at a top 10 university studying English Literature. If everything goes to plan I'll be graduating with a first, as I've kept a high average of 1sts in my modules throughout my first and second year.

However, my love for drama and theatre has also crept up on me whilst at university, and its ideally the career path I'd like to go in. I'm the present of a drama society at my university and involved in a choir society, a musical theatre social and also a film society.

My dilemma is that I don't know what side of drama I want to go in. I've always love acting and its the one I have most experience in. Ive also done quite a lot of writing, having several of my short plays acted in at my uni and I'd love to carry on doing playwrighting in the future. However, in this last year I've also had the opportunity to direct a lot, and I think its fair to say I've caught the bug. So I'm a bit stuck as what to apply for in terms of an MA. (I'm considering taking a year out before I do this, by the way, so I can get some theatre experience).

On the one hand I can just do another BA but this time in acting, and I'm thinking of applying to the following programmes:

BA Acting at RADA
BA Acting at Central
BA Acting at LAMDA
BA Acting at Guildhall
BA Acting at Oxford School of Drama
BA Acting at Drama Centre London
BA Acting at Bristol Old Vic

However, the problem with this option is finding the funding as I'll have already done a BA and therefore not be able to get Student Finance. I'm in no way rich. I come from a predominantly working class background. Also, it only involves only acting and, like I mentioned earlier, I'm also very interesting in the writing and acting side of drama.

I've also thought about applying straight to an MA in Acting. I was thinking of applying to the following MAs in straight acting:

MA Acting at Central
1 year Foundation Degree for postgrads at LAMDA
MA Acting at Drama Centre London
MA Theatre Lab at RADA
MA Acting at Guildhall (3 Years)
FdA Acting at Bristol Old Vic

Again, I'm concerned that these are just focused on acting and not the 'behind the scenes.' Furthermore, as I haven't got a degree in Acting I have less of a chance of getting in.

Therefore I've also considered doing an MA in either Directing or writing or both:

MA Theatre Studies at Central
MA Dramatic Writing at Drama Centre London
MA Writing, Directing and Performance at York
MA Directing at RADA
MA Theatre and Performance Studies at KCL
MA (Theatre) Directing at Royal Holloway
MA Playwrighting at Royal Holloway

On the other hand I've also thought about just applying to a lot of agents and trying to get into acting that way.

Help anyone?! What can I do?
Confuseddot
Rep:
?
Anyone???
Confuseddot
Rep:
?
???
C.Eleanor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The MA at York stood out to me. It sounds like a great combination of all the things you want to do.

With any MA that you do though, nothing can stop you going into Acting even without an MA, like you say, you can contact agents etc, which I think you should definitely do despite which kind of course you decide to pursue.

Another BA would be tricky.. I can only imagine the financial complications! But if you really want a career in the world of acting/theatre/drama, you sound like you've already got a brilliant foundation for that - your English degree can be used in any way you wish and I think whatever path you choose you'll be able to get where you want to be through a combination of possible further study and acting and writing experience.

So maybe look through all those courses, shortlist, then look again even closer and see which ones really stand out so you can find a course you'll be really passionate about. I do think the York MA sounds great for what you want to do, but then directing would be really flexible as well, because then you can still find opportunities to act alongside it, but you'll also have the kind of "backstage" skills and leadership and knowledge necessary for directing or playwrighting. Directing will cover all the practical as well as written aspects of theatre/acting really in depth so maybe that would be a good option too.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, good luck with choosing a course and good luck with your career!!
DanCBravo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The York course does sound good, I was considering applying for it this year, but when I was reading the Guardian University Guide for 2013 (Which shouldn't be the be all and end all, but still) and the course had dropped from about number 5 in 2012 to number 50 or something in 2013 due to really awful student feedback, so I would do a bit of research about this course first, they might have changed it or got new teachers recently or something.

I also wouldn't advise doing another BA in acting, I would probably do an MA in Acting, although it is very focused on acting it will still develop your skills in writing and directing, many famous writers and directors went to drama school to do acting, so the possibilities aren't as limited as you'd think

Hope this helps
Good Luck
PeterVenkman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The top drama schools have funding in place to help people in your situation. Im at RADA and if they want you, they will find a way of having you. You will be expected to do as much as possible to raise funding yourself, and they will want to see evidence of it, but they have many bursaries to help fund accommodation, living expenses etc. Also for someone who has an interest in writing etc, Central do an Acting BA with a 'Collaborative and Devised theatre' thread which may be right up your street.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.33%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.76%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.72%
It might lead to more bullying (60)
37.97%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads