monarchy/parliament could get rid of each other Watch

anony.mouse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I heard somewhere that the monarchy and parliament bot have enough power to get rid of each other. What would happen if an anti-monarchy party got into parliament and tried to get rid of the monarchy?

I'm guessing no-one does it currently as there would probably be some kind of civil war or at least rioting.

Also would the house of lords have any input into such a situation? If so are they obliged to take a certain side?
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In order to sit in the House of Commons one has to take an oath to serve the Queen, so technically trying to get rid of her is treason.
Fatfis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one removes the monarch because there is no general sentiment in the direction to have her removed. Quite the opposite.
If the sentiment was there and policy was enacted I don't see how a civil war would be the outcome, you overestimate their practical power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Realistically, if Parliament, and the people, wanted to get rid of the monarchy, I'm sure they could. Can't imagine it coming down to a civil war, maybe a bit of rioting from die hard monarchists, but in this hypothetical they're a fairly small minority.

If there were to be some serious opposition to the monarchy, I'd have thought a lot of foreign countries would put pressure against the monarchists.

As for whether the Queen can get rid of Parliament, "officially" she can, but in reality when she dissolves Parliament, it's at the government's request. Can't see her (or a future monarch) being able to do that completely off her own accord.

Of course this is all hypothetical because I'm pretty sure the majority support the monarchy, and the monarch wouldn't be stupid enough to attempt to interfere with the political process.
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a mutual relationship , The government gets its power from the crown , like the USA gets its power from the American people. Getting rid of each other if possible I guess is just a stalemate But there is no doubt that the prime minister has a lot more power than the queen dispute having to promise to serve her , but that is only a way of serving to the people much like the Americans do .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dukeofwembley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
In order to sit in the House of Commons one has to take an oath to serve the Queen, so technically trying to get rid of her is treason.
not if they put it to referendum
Fatfis
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by feenicks89)
It's a mutual relationship , The government gets its power from the crown , like the USA gets its power from the American people. Getting rid of each other if possible I guess is just a stalemate But there is no doubt that the prime minister has a lot more power than the queen dispute having to promise to serve her , but that is only a way of serving to the people much like the Americans do .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parliament gets its power from the people, it's a democratic state, the monarch is just a middle-man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mmmpie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it came down to the Monarchy v. Parliament, my money would be on Parliament.

That said, if we got rid of the Monarchy then presumably members of the Royal Family would be able to stand for parliament. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Queen or one of the other immediate royals as Prime Minister in that event.
ed-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Queen, being the head of state, still technically holds all political power. Which is why all statutes have to be rubber stamped by her before they go into effect. However her powers are exercised by Parliament. The rubber stamp is exactly that; she'd never refuse to sign a piece of law into effect. There'd be uproar. The Queen has no say in politics really, Parliament is much more powerful.
ed-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mmmpie)
If it came down to the Monarchy v. Parliament, my money would be on Parliament.

That said, if we got rid of the Monarchy then presumably members of the Royal Family would be able to stand for parliament. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Queen or one of the other immediate royals as Prime Minister in that event.
That would never happen. The royal family hasn't been interested in politics since before anyone alive today can remember.
Arbolus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ed-)
That would never happen. The royal family hasn't been interested in politics since before anyone alive today can remember.
They haven't interfered in politics since before anyone alive can remember. Doesn't mean that they haven't been interested, or that they haven't wanted to interfere, only that they knew to do anything more than give some friendly advice would cause uproar among the people. The Queen still meets with the Prime Minister every week, and I trust her judgement more than I trust his.
fayemx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only way an extremist group could get rid of the monarchy would be to relive the Russian Revolution in 1917 when Tsar Nicholas I abdicated with fear for his life and had no successors... but I dont know
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In our "traditional" constitutional model, the sovereign relied on parliament as he or she was not able to raise taxes (or raise an army) without parliamentary approval. As you can imagine, this made governing quite tricky.

Today, realistically it's not feasible for the sovereign simply not to summon parliament if and when he or she feels like it.

Parliament could abolish the monarchy - but keep in mind that "Parliament" as an entity has three parts to it: the House of Commons, the House of Lords and the Queen. She is part of it, and Parliament cannot make new laws without her approval.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I imagine parliament wants to keep the Queen partly for the reason they want to keep an unelected HOL, for supremacy. So long as the Head Of State and House of Lords are unelected parliament can claim that it is directly accountable to the people and pretty much do what it likes with approval being a formality (we've already overruled the HOL on several occasions).

Plus the British people quite like the Queen as a neutral figure even if most people probably wouldn't die for her.
Dukeofwembley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fayemx)
The only way an extremist group could get rid of the monarchy would be to relive the Russian Revolution in 1917 when Tsar Nicholas I abdicated with fear for his life and had no successors... but I dont know
god, i thought tsar nicholas I died in 1855

when was he resurrected?

also, if we wanted to get rid of the queen, mi5 is always available
fayemx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dukeofwembley)
god, i thought tsar nicholas I died in 1855

when was he resurrected?

also, if we wanted to get rid of the queen, mi5 is always available
Alex I died around 1855 Nicholas was murdered in 1918/9
mi5 work for the monarch... any movement against is treason and the queen could punish them by death... so its best not :P
Dukeofwembley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fayemx)
Alex I died around 1855 Nicholas was murdered in 1918/9
mi5 work for the monarch... any movement against is treason and the queen could punish them by death... so its best not :P
with what,her handbag,?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads