iratestudent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I got a passage by John Donne here, and am just really struggling to interpret what he means exactly. The wording is just confusing me. Could someone help me out and give me their understanding of the following:

My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemispheres,
Without sharp North, without declining West?
Whatever dies was not mixed equally;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none do slacken, none can die.

(It's from the poem The Good-Morrow)

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks!
iratestudent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Especially the first line is throwing me off. Is he talking about looking at a photo of a loved one?
TheUbermensche
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well the composition is pretty clear - it is two lovers facing each other, looking into each others eyes and seeing their reflection.

Lines 3 and 4 seems a bit heavy on geographical/nautical imagery but what is clear is that hemisphere is half of a circle so he is implying that they are whole when together (again confirming that they are indeed facing each other).

Lines 5 and 6 says that things only pass away/fade if they are not of the perfect mix; their love is never going to pass away/fade because it is the perfect mix - they love each other equally (or thou and I/Love so alike) or that their love has fused into one perfect whole (If our two loves be one).

Feel free to ask any more questions!
min3yr5afon9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try the Donne pages on the free website http://www.classicsenglishliterature.com Classics of English Literature: essays by Barbara Daniels
The lovers are looking into each other's eyes and seeing their reflection there as if in a hemisphere which is more stable than the hemispheres of the earth which have declining aspects. He believes their love is equal and therefore cannot die.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads