S6991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, i'm debating whether I should do pure statistics instead of maths with stats for A Level - I do enjoy maths, but i don't think that i am good enough to take for A Level.
I am currently predicted an A/B for my GCSE, therefore I was wondering would it be better if I just take pure Statistics instead of Maths (with statistics)?
Also is statistics just as respected as Maths?
and How hard is statistics?
MarinaAlex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you have a look at some textbooks for both courses and talk to your maths teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wasn't aware there was a pure Statistics course...

I found the statistics modules the easiest (alongside decision/discrete maths ones), but equally I know some people who really struggled with statistics while calculus came intuitively to them. It really depends on how your brain works best.

In regards to how respected a Statistics course would be, well probably less than maths since it's essentially a subset of the course so you'd be learning a narrower spectrum of things (much like Biology and Human Biology A Levels) but it really depends on what degree and career you are aiming for. In biological sciences, statistics is probably the most useful and applicable area of maths you could learn; in physics, less so. Similarly, economics and social sciences would benefit from a wider range of concepts.
S6991
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I would like to do an Economics degree, but haven't fully decided yet, but would Maths be better than pure statistics then?
Cephalus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by S6991)
I would like to do an Economics degree, but haven't fully decided yet, but would Maths be better than pure statistics then?
Almost certainly yes. Alot of pure mathematics is used in Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads