The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by TM1002
Congratulations!! When did you have your interview?? I had mine for the Protocol team at the beginning of October, have a feeling I won't hear anytime soon though.............!!

I had my interview in April, so I don't know when you are likely to hear. Good luck though :smile:
Reply 121
My application stills says its processing, no interview or rejection yet. Anyone know if I still have a chance? Edit: As I posted this I got an interview for games selection not sure what that is but yayy :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Games Selection Team
Your Role:

To make the Games a success we need to be ready for anything so we’re looking for people with a wide range of skills to potentially support any one of our Functional Areas before and during the Games.
If successful, you could be called upon to do anything from looking after the needs of our spectators to ensuring the action on the Field of Play runs smoothly.
Role Highlights:You might find yourself involved in anything from Medal Ceremonies to the Marathon but wherever you are you’ll be ensuring the challenge of delivering Scotland’s biggest ever sporting and cultural event is successfully met.
Is This You?You’ll need to be flexible and willing to adapt. Because we can’t be sure at this stage which Functional Areas might need extra help, we can’t be sure how you’ll be involved or when we’ll be able to let you know.
Please note, we cannot guarantee your involvement as a volunteer. Depending on your availability, you could be offered a position starting anytime between April and July 2014.
Your Impact on Glasgow 2014
Your role is crucial to helping the Games run smoothly and your willingness to take on any challenge will help make Glasgow 2014 a success!
Reposted from another one of my sites:

I received an email a couple of days before my interview confirming the date and time of my interview and the address of the Volunteer Centre. The Volunteer Centre is approximately a 10-15 minute walk from Glasgow Central Station and it is very easy to find - you really can't miss it.
Right on the dot of my interview time I was directed to a booth where my identity documentation was checked and taken away for copying. I was asked questions to confirm my identity (d.o.b. and so on). My photograph was taken and my documentation returned.
They seem to keep strictly to time. I suspect that, if only a couple of minutes late, candidates might be refused their interview. Also, no documentation means no interview. You need the bring the documentation that you listed on your application form.
I was then asked to complete two questionnaires. One asks candidates to indicate what accommodation they're hoping to organise for themselves if selected. The other asks candidates to indicate their clothes size. Both of these questionnaires are anonymous. They are, apparently, just to give the organisers early indicators of accommodation demand and uniform provision.
Next, about a dozen of us were directed into a small lecture theatre. We were shown a film about how great it is to be a volunteer. Lord Coe praising the GMs; footage of the OOC; you get the picture. This was followed by a presentation from the Section (in my case, the Transport Section) Training Manager. He talked generally about the Transport Section and the variety of volunteer roles available within it, and so on.
We were then taken downstairs where we were each directed to a booth complete with interviewer. All of the interviewers are volunteers and the interview is conducted on a one-to-one basis throughout.
Each candidate gets asked the same number of questions and the exact same questions, within the same period of time. In fact, I would say that the interview stage only lasts about 20 minutes. There is no need to revise any details about the 'Games' in that, you will not be tested on your knowledge of, for example, the competing countries; the venues; the name of the mascot; etc. The only two questions that mention the Games at all are worded something like:
'Why do you want to be a Volunteer at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games?'
'What skills, knowledge, experience, etc do you have that will help you contribute to the success of the Glasgow 2014 ...?'
Other questions are worded something like:
'What do you think is your greatest achievement?'
'Can you describe a situation when you went beyond what was required of you in order to resolve a problem?'
'Can you describe a situation where working as part of a team helped you to resolve a problem?'
'Can you describe a situation where you experienced difficulties in communicating effectively with another person, or a group of people, and how did you overcome these difficulties?'
'Having been introduced to the ? Section (in my case the Transport Section) do you feel that your skills, knowledge, experience, etc match those required for the volunteer roles within the ? Section?'
I would say that there are no more than eight or so questions in total. If I remember any questions that I've missed out, I'll message you again with these. I must stress however, that the questions that I've listed above are NOT necessarily listed in the order in which they were asked NOR do they contain the exact wording. They are however a good indication of the nature of the questions asked.
The interview concludes with some further questions that are not part of the selection process. For example, you are asked to reaffirm the number of days that you anticipate being able to volunteer. The interviewer than explains what happens next which is, basically, that candidates will be notified of their success, or otherwise, from October. Good luck with your interview.
Reply 124
Good morning everyone (or afternoon, evening, whenever you're online)! I am pleased to say that I have good news about my hopes to volunteer at Glasgow 2014!
I recently received an e-mail from a member of staff at Volunteer Development Scotland, as I had previously contacted them to enquire about schemes that could help house volunteers. The e-mail informed me of a scheme called the Volunteer Homestay, run by the More than Gold 2014 group, which involves volunteers from church communities of various faiths putting up a Clyde-Sider for up to 10 days during the Games. The costs for the scheme would be £100 registration fee for up to 10 days (or 2 x £100 if you stay more than 10 days as it requires doing 2 applications). In exchange you get placed with a host in a separate room, possibly sharing with another volunteer I think, and breakfast each morning, pick-up from the airport or train station when you arrive, and dropped off at the nearest public transport point each day you volunteer.
I got in touch with the volunteer centre and I still have a place on the team. Also I have signed up with the volunteer homestay scheme and can therefore still take part in the games!
The link to the scheme is as follows: www.volunteerhomestay.org.uk
This is important though: Please, please, please read all the terms and conditions, details on the scheme etc before considering whether you want to take part. Also I should add that Volunteer Homestay isn’t run by Volunteer Development Scotland.

Best of luck everyone who is looking to volunteer, and to those searching around for a place to stay!
Reply 125
I was offered a role in Village Operations back in October. Anyone else on here in Village Ops? :smile:
Four of the six, that had interviews for Village Ops, from our group, have been offered a role,
Last interviews for all roles will be finished by December 12th, but 'offers' could still be made for the next six months.
Reply 127
I thought it would be nice to talk to some people who are also in Village Ops. I couldn't find anyone on Facebook so I came here :smile:
Anybody know if anyone has been offered anything for Protocol yet? I really want to know whether or not I'll be volunteering so I can start making arrangements for the summer!
Reply 129
I'm waiting to hear about Protocol role, had interview on October 5th.

Hoping to hear before New Year but who knows........
No offers for Protocol have yet been sent out, I do know that your training for the Role will be very similar to that for the Olympics, as I was in the position to supply information and help to the organizers last month.
Reply 131
Original post by Caitlin_dj
Anybody know if anyone has been offered anything for Protocol yet? I really want to know whether or not I'll be volunteering so I can start making arrangements for the summer!

Original post by TM1002
I'm waiting to hear about Protocol role, had interview on October 5th.

Hoping to hear before New Year but who knows........

Got my protocol offer today! Team member at Scotstoun. Hopefully you guys will find out soon
Yes Today was the start for the offers for Protocol, all venues, Velodrome, Pool and SECC (and village) are the ones that I have heard about . Great Role, you will enjoy it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kennethg1
Got my protocol offer today! Team member at Scotstoun. Hopefully you guys will find out soon

Congratulations! Hopefully I will hear this week :smile:
Reply 134
Hopefully we will know one way or another by the weekend. Won't hold my breath mind you :smile:
Reply 135
Original post by Logan5
That's a good idea mate. If some volunteers pitched tents together it'd be safer and fun too :smile: Anyone on here looking at doing that?

Sorry I'm a bit rubbish on here! I agree it will be really good fun staying in a big group, and it's good that there are separate areas for volunteer so I won't feel like I am disturbing people if I end up with late shifts. The site says there will be laundry onsite - there was at Eton Manor but you did have to pay a couple quid to use the machines, but then if there are a few of us we can wash kit in big loads and split cost. Exited now - just hope I get a place...will probs just go anyway if I don't :smile:!
Reply 136
Still waiting...............
And another day of waiting and hoping for a role offer in protocol... I jump every time I get an email from Glasgow 2014, but it's just another newsletter or something.
Reply 138
got a place as a first aider WOOHOOO!!
Reply 139
Got a place as Print Distribution Team Member :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending