Of these courses, which one is the less competitive at UCL? Watch

Destination
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bsc Economics with Statistics.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...4/ubeecoasta05

Statistics, Economics and Finance - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...4/ubsstassef08

Statistics, Economics and a Language - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...4/ubsstassel08

Like, if am applying now?
Got rejected for pure Economics. I want to knock again.
Grateful for any kind help.
Destination
Rep:
?
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...4/ubeecosabr05

Or Economics with a year abroad?
Destination
Rep:
?
No one?
YLIA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
every course is competitive brah
Destination
Rep:
?
(Original post by YLIA)
Yes, but with varying degrees.

I'd applied for Accounting and Finance last year after the deadline. They accepted me.

But now, my personal statement is Economics-tailored. So, not so sure what to choose...
Destination
Rep:
?
No UCL student here? Perhaps you'd know better.
Mother_Russia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest, no UCL student is going to know how competitive the courses are. We're already here, what do we care? :P

And the admissions offices are just going to tell you that because your personal statement is tailored towards pure economics, you haven't got any chance to get offers from the other courses since you haven't shown any interest in them.
Destination
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mother_Russia)
To be honest, no UCL student is going to know how competitive the courses are. We're already here, what do we care? :P

And the admissions offices are just going to tell you that because your personal statement is tailored towards pure economics, you haven't got any chance to get offers from the other courses since you haven't shown any interest in them.
The bad part... true.
AK.tsr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just taking a swing here, but i'd say the language option is probably going to be less competitive?
i don't know many people interested in statistics and a language - it is a 'unique' combination lol.

but the others all have economics in the course title, so bar economics with statistics, the
difference between the other 2 will be negligible
Destination
Rep:
?
(Original post by AK.tsr)
just taking a swing here, but i'd say the language option is probably going to be less competitive?
i don't know many people interested in statistics and a language - it is a 'unique' combination lol.

but the others all have economics in the course title, so bar economics with statistics, the
difference between the other 2 will be negligible
Thank you for the reply+

Well, I thought that too, but then... it's possible they take 1-2 students for this course?
Mother_Russia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just to put it out there.

The economics and business with east European studies course at ucl is actually more competitive to the straight economics course. There are less spaces but proportionally more people apply because they think they have a better chance for it. They couldn't be more wrong.
a.partridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by YLIA)
not all...

e.g BBB offers for chemistry my application year >.<
Mother_Russia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by a.partridge)
not all...

e.g BBB offers for chemistry my application year >.<
It may just mean they really wanted the candidate. A medic I know got offered ABB.
a.partridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mother_Russia)
It may just mean they really wanted the candidate. A medic I know got offered ABB.
No... pretty widespread. I didn't hear of anyone getting offered higher than AAB.

I didn't do anything particularly amazing in the interview.

It's just not a first class place for every single subject is all
Destination
Rep:
?
That's not helping me decide... :/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you planning to apply to single honours econ at UCL? if so then applying for one of these similar courses is a waste of a choice on your UCAS form. apply to straight econ, once your application is processed by UCAS write to UCL explaining that you're very keen on attending UCL and also have an interest in subjects x, y, z and IF you're unsuccessful for econ then could you be considered for alternate courses prior to any rejection.
Destination
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Are you planning to apply to single honours econ at UCL? if so then applying for one of these similar courses is a waste of a choice on your UCAS form. apply to straight econ, once your application is processed by UCAS write to UCL explaining that you're very keen on attending UCL and also have an interest in subjects x, y, z and IF you're unsuccessful for econ then could you be considered for alternate courses prior to any rejection.
I already got a rejection for pure Eco.
Mother_Russia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Destination)
That's not helping me decide... :/
No. But I think what we're getting at is....because your personal statement is only tailored towards economics, you only want to study pure economics. SO your best bet is to apply for pure economics at other universities.

Having said that, PQ has a very good idea. If your heart is really set on UCL. (Moreso than economics), take a year out and apply again
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Destination)
I already got a rejection for pure Eco.
SO ring them up and ask them to consider you for the other courses - there's no need to use up one of your choices
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads