The Student Room Group

Gcse statistics

Hi i am starting my piece of controlled assessment for statistics tommorow the plan part and was just wondering if anyone could tell me what i actually have to do or just give me a few tips thanks
Well obviously I have no idea about your exam board or whatever... But I can tell you what I did from memory?

Basically, you select a hypothesis (mine was something like 'the height of children at x-school increases with age') and then get given a big set of raw data. You have to establish what you're going to do with it, which is the planning part, (I made several tables to categorise it into male/female, ranked, by year group etc.) and then basically draw lots of diagrams to prove or disprove the hypothesis. You then need to do a big write up which provides a statistical explanation for each individual diagram. You then need to do a conclusion which basically sums up your argument. I think there is a section on the limitations of the data too?

It's pretty easy but it's a lot of work (mine was 40 pages long). The one thing that will let you down is not saying everything that you want to say if you know what I mean. GCSE statistics is essentially very easy and you just need to learn a few theories and understand how to apply them to different situations. Because of this, if you do not explain something well or leave questions unanswered then you're not going to do well because it is so easy to pick up the marks. I missed an hour of my time and didn't get to explain my last few diagrams properly and that meant that my grade dropped from an A to a B. Unfortunately that meant getting a B overall too. You sometimes have to try and make it more complicated than it needs to be aswell. You may be able to prove a point perfectly well by only drawing a box-plot and calculating the standard deviation but that doesn't show a lot of ability. You need to do as much stuff as you possibly can to really show that you understand how to conduct a statistical investigation. Stick a histogram and some other diagrams in there too and you've got a much better chance.

Finish it, cover all the angles, back up your argument well and show the examiner what you can do. GOOD LUCK! <3
Reply 2
Original post by bad_moose
Well obviously I have no idea about your exam board or whatever... But I can tell you what I did from memory?

Basically, you select a hypothesis (mine was something like 'the height of children at x-school increases with age') and then get given a big set of raw data. You have to establish what you're going to do with it, which is the planning part, (I made several tables to categorise it into male/female, ranked, by year group etc.) and then basically draw lots of diagrams to prove or disprove the hypothesis. You then need to do a big write up which provides a statistical explanation for each individual diagram. You then need to do a conclusion which basically sums up your argument. I think there is a section on the limitations of the data too?

It's pretty easy but it's a lot of work (mine was 40 pages long). The one thing that will let you down is not saying everything that you want to say if you know what I mean. GCSE statistics is essentially very easy and you just need to learn a few theories and understand how to apply them to different situations. Because of this, if you do not explain something well or leave questions unanswered then you're not going to do well because it is so easy to pick up the marks. I missed an hour of my time and didn't get to explain my last few diagrams properly and that meant that my grade dropped from an A to a B. Unfortunately that meant getting a B overall too. You sometimes have to try and make it more complicated than it needs to be aswell. You may be able to prove a point perfectly well by only drawing a box-plot and calculating the standard deviation but that doesn't show a lot of ability. You need to do as much stuff as you possibly can to really show that you understand how to conduct a statistical investigation. Stick a histogram and some other diagrams in there too and you've got a much better chance.

Finish it, cover all the angles, back up your argument well and show the examiner what you can do. GOOD LUCK! <3

thanks mate nice one
Reply 3
Hey guys I'm new to this but need some help

i have to start my GCSE statistics coursework and the topic is films

i am really desperately struggling to think of a hypothesis , I need a sophisticated one which will get me going to achieve my A*

so basically I need a hypothesis on films

Thankyou !!!!!!!
Reply 4
Hey guys I'm new to this but need some help

i have to start my GCSE statistics coursework and the topic is films

i am really desperately struggling to think of a hypothesis , I need a sophisticated one which will get me going to achieve my A*

:smile:

I basically need a hypothesis on films

Thankyou !!!!!!!
Reply 5
I'm willing to help you but is it just he word 'films' didn't they give you a quote or sentence?
Reply 6
is it just the word 'films' didn't they give you a quote or something i'll be able to help you then
Original post by dharani13
I'm willing to help you but is it just he word 'films' didn't they give you a quote or sentence?

You just bumped a thread that is almost one year old. You cannot offer help on coursework anyway as it is cheating.
Reply 8
Original post by dharani13
is it just the word 'films' didn't they give you a quote or something i'll be able to help you then

I am guessing that 11 months on - the task has probably been completed

Upping old threads is poor form

durn slow

Quick Reply

Latest