Would you date an unemployed person? Watch

Poll: Would you date an unemployed person?
Yes (33)
78.57%
No (9)
21.43%
Dekota-XS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Going by the saying 'survival of the fitest', we live in a world of competition for jobs, an education and resources. This philosophy certainly should apply to job prospects of an individual you choose to date and a key aspect being whether or not he/she will be able to provide for you/look after you/(provide for herself) in the long-term. Bearing this in mind, would you consider dating a person who is unemployed?
ct2k7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Panda Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. (Unless they were unemployed long-term for no other reason than the fact they're lazy and can rely on benefits.)
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If he was someone who genuinely wanted a job and was actively looking and was doing things to help his chances (ie. voluntary work, studying part time, going to a job club etc) then yes. If he was someone who had no intention of working and just wanted to sponge off benefits for the rest of his life then no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
almost_instinct
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sure. As long as they weren't incredibly lazy and purposely avoiding work I'd be fine with it.

Everyone falls on hard times eventually.
fredscarecrow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dated a bloke who was unemployed whilst I was at uni. Towards the end of our relationship he got a part time job but was almost violently opposed to working full time. I hated his attitude andnl it made me view the future with skeptism.

My current partner has always been employed and I love his industriousness. I on the ither hand graduated uni only to have no work for nearly 3 months. I hated t and I felt so rubbish about myself. Ive got a full time, if unsatisfying job now to pass the time.

I guess what Im saying is its not the unemployment but the attitude which matters more. My partner didnt mind me not having a job because he knew how hard I was looking for one. Hed have been less accepting if I did nothing and didnt try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends how long they were unemployed for.
OnimushaGTA
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not about being employed or unemployed, but the attitude towards employment; does she want to have a career etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
dobbys sock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would if they were looking for work and wanted to work. Probably not if they were happy on being on benefits long term with no intention to ever do anything else.
WildBerrySpirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, as long as they were actively seeking work.
bssjonny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Homeless no.
Temporarily unemployed....why not?
Bonoahx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, because I'm not a snob.
Dark Horse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If she ain't got no money she can take her broke ass home. Alone.
whatsophiesaid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I technically am now, though my boyfriend is on a placement at a school as part of his PGCE.
I wouldn't date someone who was unemployed just because they were lazy though, that annoys me.
Mel1215
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, I wouldn't. I work two jobs and couldn't justify being with someone who was unemployed. My taxes pay their dole money, that would infuriate me.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would date someone who is unemployed but shows efforts to search for a job through training etc. I don't like when one works hard and another one just lives off the benefits and doesn't care much about both future.
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Who the hell goes dating when they are unemployed? How do you afford to run your car on £71 per week? I spend more than that on essentials like **** and booze. Im only on about 23000 per year before tax and that includes over time, but I still find it hard to save enough cash to spend on something such as a date or going fishing etc.
kat91s
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends why they were unemployed. While I was with my ex, he ended up unemployed after losing his job, but if anything that just made me want to stick with him through it because I knew he was a hardworking, respectable guy.

I would not date a doll-dosser.
Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think this thread is slightly snobby tbqh.. I'm currently unemployed but I'm trying my hardest to look for a job.. I would hate it if people judged me and wouldn't get with me, just because I haven't got a job.. I would be attracted to someone who is unemployed - most people are jobless now a days tbh - however, of purposely unemployed and didn't want a job then it would annoy me.. There's more to someone then whether they have a job or not..

Posted from TSR Mobile
C.Eleanor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think this is such a black and white way of looking at things.

People are unemployed for thousands of reasons - redundancy, family life, caring for someone close to them, recession, illness, disability. I think it's pretty unfair to just judge a whole person entirely on their professional status and assume that unemployed people should be put into a different category from everyone else, which is kind of what this thread suggests, as if unemployed people are a different species, no, they're human beings who have a multitude of different backgrounds and reasons for being unemployed.

I agree with most of the people here. I wouldn't want to date someone who was completely unmotivated or who had no drive or ambition in life, but surely that comes down to the individual.. not whether they're employed or not.

I do see what you're getting at, in some kind of warped way, but it's kind of unfair. There's much more to a person than just whether they're employed or not, and I know I surely wouldn't judge whether to date a person solely on their employment, I'd know to dig a little deeper first.. I don't agree with lumping unemployed people into one category. JMO!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
13.33%
They might tell the bully (2)
13.33%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
20%
It might lead to more bullying (4)
26.67%
There's nothing they could do (4)
26.67%

Watched Threads