surfing123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am doing AQA modular GCSE maths, so far in the first two units (60%) i have an A* at 73/80 UMS and an A at 80/100 UMS. i was wondering, is it worth retaking that A in order to attempt to make it easier to get an A* overall? bearing in mind that the Unit 2 retake would be around the same time as the unit 3 exam and i would have to relearn some stuff as i havent done unit 2 since the beginning of year 10. resitting unit 2 could be at the expense of gaining a lower grade in the more heavily weighted (40%) unit 3. is it worth it?
Artemis 97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on if you think you're likely to get an A* in Unit 3, and whether you think you can improve your grade much. With maths doing 2 units at the same time isnt as bad as in some subjects because they overlap a lot, so some of the stuff you have to relearn for unit 2 will probably come in useful in unit 3 anyway at the same time 80/100 is a good mark so if you dont think the added stress of an extra exam will be good for you dont put yourself through it, it depends on how you feel
surfing123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Artemis 97)
It depends on if you think you're likely to get an A* in Unit 3
im confident i can get an A* in unit 3, however i have worked out that it would be necessary for me to get 117/120 UMS in order to get an A* overall...this, while achievable, is a very high mark and 4 marks could easily be lost anywhere on the paper whcih would leave me - rather annoyingly - with an A overall. to be honest, it seems quite odd that i would need such a high grade to achieve an overall A* so perhaps i have worked it out wrong, could anyone shed any light on whether my approximations seem correct?
Artemis 97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
whats the weighting for the other modules?
surfing123
Rep:
?
whats the weighting for the other modules?
30% each
Artemis 97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by surfing123)
30% each
Then why aren't they out of the same UMS? :/
dada55
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want an A*, I would definately reccomend retaking. Like you said, losing a few UMS marks is very easy due to even the silliest mistakes.

Your calculations are correct, that without retaking you would need 117/120 to get an A*. This is because you got just about an A on the 2nd unit and just about an A* on the first. (which is very good still)

I would reccomend checking the timetable for that exam and see if it will disturb/clash with any other exams you are taking.
surfing123
Rep:
?
Then why aren't they out of the same UMS? :/
No idea, if only it was the other way round, ha!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads