gford11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Has anyone else applied for Special or Visual Effects for 2013? If so what does your portfolio contain?
MetChristofi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have applied for Editing and Post production which includes a lot of SFX. The uni I chose was Ravensbourne and my portfolio contains my editing skills and my best SFX. They saw my piece and really liked it and gave me an conditional offer which I am gonna accept as my first choice. It is the best uni for editing and in your case SFX.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gford11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MetChristofi)
I have applied for Editing and Post production which includes a lot of SFX. The uni I chose was Ravensbourne and my portfolio contains my editing skills and my best SFX. They saw my piece and really liked it and gave me an conditional offer which I am gonna accept as my first choice. It is the best uni for editing and in your case SFX.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offer - I seem to remember looking for a special effects course there but they only did visual effects or editing/post production one you have chosen. I have applied for special effects at Hertfordshire and think they look for my design based portfolios along with 3D pieces of work.
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Potentially there will be quite a difference between the portfolios. Obviously both will share the traditional art skills like life drawing and painting, but they split apart from there. VFX is all about digital effects created on the computer that are seamlessly added to filmwork, whereas SFX concerns itself with real world objects - props, prosthetics, miniatures, sets etc. So for VFX you would want to show 3D digital models, compositing 3D and 2D elements into film backplates, photographic skills etc and for SFX they would be interested in seeing real sculptures / casts, props you've made, photos of lit miniatures or effects work, that sort of thing. People often confuse the differences between SFX and VFX, even some degree courses are misnamed in this area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads