What to wear in Russia? Watch

matildamatilda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
So I'm going to Russia soon (i.e. it will be winter and really reallyyy freezing) and I'm not sure what to do about shoes. I can't seem to find any boots that are very suitable.
I know that to get good quality they will have to be reasonably expensive, but to be completely honest I don't want to buy really ugly high-priced shoes to wear for a week or two in Russia and then never again.
I need them to be waterproof (good in snow), very warm (preferably with fur inside) and to have good traction on the snow.
Would these be totally inappropriate? http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/on...arch&color=242
Plus I know that many Russians dress smartly and I don't want to look really out of place with nasty shoes, I already have a pretty giant horrible coat...
Any advise? And any further advise on travelling to Russia?
Thank you
USRaphael
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you looked at Columbia boots? I got my wife a pair for winter here (very cold and snowy) and they were only $80 and good down to -25C I think it said. She really likes them.
The Wild Youth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
layers layers layers!!

I went to Finland (-30!!) and most of the time wore skiing type clothes all layered up. Other than the normal thermals, I found this great light weight fleece that looked like it wouldn't be warm enough to even wear outside in the British autumn but was made from a material which held the heat beautifully and acted as a brilliant thermal layer; have a look for something like that! Don't forget about things like layers of socks, the right kind of gloves and hats if it gets really cold. If you get the right type of clothes now, you'll be able to wear them every time you go into that kind of environment.
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one has done it yet? Oh well...

IN SOVIET RUSSIA CLOTHES WEAR YOU!!!
Paul PTS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matildamatilda)
Hi,
Plus I know that many Russians dress smartly and I don't want to look really out of place with nasty shoes, I already have a pretty giant horrible coat...

What are talking about?!

Do you plan to go behind the Polar Circle by any chance?

For me this winter is rather a warm one, there are lot of snow in my town, which is not far from Moscow. But not so cold as it could be. On the other hand the really cold weather may still come soon. The weather is such a thing, it's changeable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads